Suit buying

So I have some special occasions to attend this year, weddings and all sorts. Every man needs a good suit for all occasions right?

I haven't got a decent suit and need to get hold of one. I haven't been fitted but I think I'm a 38R.

Where's good places to get one and are slim fit ones the way to go?

Evening,
Not sure on your age/taste/style etc...
I recently bought a Brook Taverner suit from my local gentlemans outfitters and was able to use the Facebook/twitter code to get it half price. I believe the code applies to all suits bought online too.
Have a look http://www.brooktaverner.co.uk

Hi Chris,

late 20's/modern/slim/sleek?? If that helps? Lol.

Just need a good one for all occasions really, something I can pull out and it'll go for weddings/job interviews/etc

I'm mid thirties. I got my suit for my wedding which is creeping ever closer. It's the Oakhurst three piece on the site. Brook Taverners are decent well made suits, maybe aimed at people slightly older but a good suit is a good suit. There's a lot of tweed etc on there, but I like that! Might be worth a look anyway.

Ah well I'm not far off 30!!

Thing is I need it for next Monday as I have an event to go to. Not looking to spunk shedloads but enough for a decent whistle.

What are tweeds? And would it be worth getting tailored? Cos time is a crime I can't commit it might have to be a high st jobby, Burton, Moss, etc etc!

Turns out I don't need it for Monday after all so have until August to sort out a good whistle for a relative's wedding!

Any other tips?

I got my last suit from a M&S outlet for under £30 instead of over £200, worth a look if you have one near you. Or http://outlet.marksandspencer.com/Suits-By-Category-Men/b/1462509031 for what I need in a suit they are perfect.

I'm a similar fan of Austin Reed suits. Look for the items that are genuinely sale goods (usually have patchy size availability) and then order a few different sizes into store. Go and try them on in shop and you can return the bits that don't fit there and then. Worked for me - I picked up a blue mohair affair from their designer range for 1/4 the original price. It's by far the nicest suit I've owned.

I would also have a look at M&S sartorial /Savile Row inspired range. They are well built and fairly priced. In general, stick to characoal grey or navy blue, solids with no stripes or other patterns. Classic menswear (as traditional shaving) is coming back ...
Do not go for "designer" type slim lapels, low rise trousers, short jackets and super slim look. Instead look for a well fitting suit, that follow the classical rules will last you a long time and will look good in every possible occasions. So what are the rules:
Lapel width min 8cm, better if around 10cm. Buttoning point around the navel point (belly button). Jacket need to cover one's butt, at least pass the gluteus fold. The sleeves should show 1/2 inch of shirt cuff. Trousers rise must be heigher then jeans. At least it should get as close as an 1- 1 and 1/2 inch from the navel point, or better cover it (you won't easily find such a rise off the shelves but that is what bespoke wearers gets). Finally, the trousers should either fall straight and end just touching the shoes (called no break) or a bit further down, causing a clear fold on the front of the sheen (with break) and straight behind the calf. Avoid many folds that indicate poor fitting trousers.
When fitting for a jacket, make sure that it fits in the shoulder and collar (it should hug your shirt not leave space all around or on one side) and is long enough. Sleeves and width around the torso can be altered / take it in fairly easily and cheaply, but do use a good alteration tailor rather then a corner dry cleaner.

Hope it helps, but if you have questions feel free to ask

M&S

I was in there yesterday and picking up a pair of burgundy cords and a nice tweed jacket, but their suits looked nice enough.

Always go with navy (charcoal at a push).

Thanks for the advice Marco, any reason why not go for black? Not really a fan or navy, esp in a suit. Wouldn't black me more suited to all occasions? I would like it to be a stock suit for interviews/weddings/formal occasions/functions/etc.

By the sounds of the fitting tips I'd be best off getting it measured up and tailored?

I do like the slim fitting type ones but not at designer prices!

If you're not a big fan of navy, charcoal is a good alternative. Suitable for most occasions and you can alter the look depending on shirt/tie combinations, i.e. more formal with white shirt and plain-ish tie, or coloured/patterned shirt with brighter tie for a more relaxed look. Like a navy suit it's a classic that won't go out of style.

My guess is we're posting answers to one of those whajamacallits, 'youff' or somesuch.

My advice is buy whatever One Direction are wearing.

All my suits went to charity shops, shirts, ties, shoes,, de dah when I retired and I swore never to wear one again.. Seven years later, I haven't. Several funerals, opera houses around the world - the more I don't, the easier it is to resist pressure to 'dress up'.

Back
Top Bottom