Thank you TSR and its members. Straight advice?

Guy's,

Firstly I'd like to thank TSR and all its members for providing so much great advice to get me started on the road to my first straight shave.

About 2 months ago I started looking around for a cure for the redness, bumps, rashes that I got from "cartridge shaving". :(

That search lead me to this forum, and following lots of reading and research on here I made my first DE purchase, a starter kit from trditionalshaving with a mekur 34c. It was a revelation to feel and see the difference in my skin after just a couple of days using the DE. It took me about a month to get some where near a half decent technique, but the shave was still more enjoyable and closer than any cartridge shave will ever produce.

As some memebers on on here know, I have already got the terrible affliction of collecting vintage DE's, and as a result of some overtime and christmas cash I have managed to get some mint condition razors to be proud of. Thanks to all who helped me out with the kit. ;)

Having spent a lot of time on here, to the detriment of my ears, with my wife passing comment about the computer having a better conversation than........, I started to read up and get interest in the straight razor scene. So more research.

Again, with some superb advice from guys who I pm'd, giving me tips on what to look for and what not to touch. Also the superb articles written by Neil.

I then mentioned in one of my posts about my interest in straight razors and received a pm from a fellow member who suggested he had one for sale, a Dovo Bismarck, it was too much of a temptation, and the price was a real bargain, with a strop. :p

I had to get it, it arrived this morning even though it was posted yesterday afternoon. Well done Royal mail.

Anyway I have just retured from the bathroom having used it for the first time. I followed the guide lines and only did the sides and cheeks. but it was very close shave, I did not think it could be closer than a DE but it was, even with my totally amateur approach.

I was really nervous, but proud that I managed to get some done with the straight, with only two small niks.

Just a couple of questions about the straight. I had three days growth, so maybe not ideal for a first straight shave, but when I shaved it seemed to jump across my skin rather than a smooth stroke, this is bound to be my technique but what am I doing wrong?

Can I use the shaver both sides of should I stick to using it one way, so always etching side in?

Is there anything I should put on the strop, to treat the leather, or leave it as it is?

Finally, where can I buy the oil to put on the blade to protect it?

Thanks very much again to all those who have helped me so far. hopefully I will be able to contribute and help other newbies like myself.

The search is on for a second vintage blade, now wheres that Mr Millers web site?...........

Cheers

Andy.

Thank you for a nice read! :D

As for your questions:
1. If you have a three days stubble it will draw and feel like a very bumpy shave, I use a wedge when I got heavy stubble. Your, very nice Dovo (one the few I would like to try some day), is a full hollow and has a more delicate grind and willl make more noise and resitance than a wedgy/stiffer grind. Use a very light touch and when you think you´re doing that, you try and have an ever looser touch, seriously.

2. Use both sides, absolutly.

3. Leave the strop without pastes, if it´s a very stiff leather you could use some kind of leather oil/soap to freshen it up some. But abresive pastes shouldn´t go on a nice strop (especially not the only strop you got, use some balsa or a newspaper if you need to do a touch up - but you should be good for many months with just a strop).

4. I don´t think you need an oil for the edge, since you use this blade often. If you have a large rotation you can use some oil to protect the edge from the air, since it gets dull over time. But if you shave every other day with the razor, you should be fine with just stroppping. If you use oil, less is more - it gets very sticky and non good looking from it.

Good luck!! :D

Yep, agreed. Mind you, the Bismarck shouldn't have too much trouble with that amount of growth unless you're Desperate Dan so it might be a matter of getting the cutting angle just right. Nothing to worry about, that'll sort itself out in due course.

Back
Top Bottom