Things you don't see anymore

My own branch (NatWest) closed last month.

Cash.

Does anyone pay for anything using real money any more?

Bit of a story, I went to Dunkin Donut for a drink and used my bank card...then I got a call from my bank saying that someone in Thailand tried to use my card details for a purchase (scary to think that card machines can be hacked from the other side of the world). subsequently, my card was cancelled. Luckily I still have some cash lying around from selling stuff on Facebook that I could use for groceries and work.

Cash.

Does anyone pay for anything using real money any more?
Not often but I always feel like I'm sleep walking into a trap with my eyes wide open, I should pull some cash out of my bank account and start paying for my goods in shops with the cash instead of just whipping my card out.
I would hate to go down that road where cash is no good and you need a card to buy anything!

Paul.

Last edited:
I always use cash unless I’m buying online. I find it easier to budget and like the anonymity of using cash. On quite a few occasions I’ve left items on the shop counter when told that they don’t accept cash. I do laugh when the Wi-Fi goes down and they have to backtrack on their no cash principles. Cash is still king as far as I’m concerned although the government would love a cashless society for tax reasons.

As a side note I won’t use self service checkouts either.

I'm with you there, I don't see why I should have to scan my goods rather than waiting for someone who works for the supermarket and gets paid for doing the job!
These shop keepers that say they only take cards are I'm sure breaking the law by not accepting legal tender, utter tosh!
Cash is indeed king!

Paul.

With you there, completely. They’ll have us stacking the shelves for them next. The supermarkets make enough profit to put more staff on the checkouts, it’s just pure greed. There will be some very lonely people in years to come, they don’t interact with anybody anymore.

I think I read somewhere that shops can legally use whatever currency they chose whether it be card, cash or chocolate. We have a choice to to shop wherever we like so I will always go where they accept cash. To me it doesn’t make sense in this current economic climate to limit yourself to one type of payment but hey- ho.