Thinking About a Shavette

Seems to be a love 'em or hate 'em attitude which I don't want to challenge either way. What I would like is advice on which would be the best purchase: I'll stay away from the giddy heights of the AC and stick to the cheaper end for now. So a Bluebeards Revenge for around a tenner(ish) or a Dove for twenty to thirtyish - any difference between the two?

Not confined to these two so if you have other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

Cheers

Neil

Neil,
I have a Parker Shavette if you want to borrow it.
They are cheap enough to buy, but the feather AC is a hands down winner, in a different price league though.
A true straight is better yet, IMHO. It comes with a need for more stuff (strop and sharpening).
All have their pro's and cons you just need to work out what you will live with.
Al

Thanks for the offer Al - I've ordered a Sanguine off Ebay which seems to have had good reviews over at B&B, so I'll see how I get on with it. Totally agreed on the Feather would love one - one day maybe! Not yet ready for the straight commitment but one day definitely.

There is some stuff on hand stroping or running the blade through a cork. I found that took the worst of the blade.
Go for your mildest blade at first and a super light touch. They are really unforgiving.
I sort of love / hate it. The Feather is more like a straight and super sharp all the time. The straight is really mellow in comparison, but needs more effort.
Enjoy

Too true.
I got the free one from Shaving Shack (with orders over £50), used it once, haven't touched it again since.
Must give it another go soon though.

Likewise, I still have a red scar on my cheek where my first duel with a shavette bit me ...

That said, after some weeks mostly SE shaving, I find I'm quite happy with rough and ready shaving implements and have enjoyed a couple of really excellent shaves with a Durham Duplex and what is ostensibly a carpet razor - they're sold as "dog dresser" blades. Give the blade a good stropping (hand is fine, bit ensure you have the stropper guard if you're going to use leather) and they're good to go.

I just got a couple of NOS Durham Duplex proper blades, which I am excited about.

These are purely designed for barbers to use on the nape.

I'm amazed at how many times the same topic crops up.

Bin 'em, stick to razors.

Job jobbed.

Can't wait to give it another go. Little straight line scars have added even more character to my face. Bring on tomorrow. More glad than ever I chucked the cartridges but YMMV.

Thanks for the replies.

I used one today for the first time....pleased to report no blood loss, lots of concentration though! I'm hoping a straight will be a bit different, I kinda felt the shavette was just waiting for me to look away so it could bite me!

Not a bad shave though tbh, not BBS, but somewhere between SAS & DFS.

The offending article!

Hippo said:
I used one today for the first time....pleased to report no blood loss, lots of concentration though! I'm hoping a straight will be a bit different, I kinda felt the shavette was just waiting for me to look away so it could bite me!

Not a bad shave though tbh, not BBS, but somewhere between SAS & DFS.

The offending article!

What is that one? The scales look quite nice - I'm wondering whether they could be adapted to a Feather razor - qite a few people have asked me to make scales for their Feathers - this could be a cheaper option.

How much was the razor - if you don't mind saying?

Back
Top Bottom