To Chubb or not to Chubb?

He who hesitates is lost hence I was beaten to a Chubby 2 in best by our own Sunbury lately.

I was given some money as a leaving present from my last job before Christmas and was thinking of spending it on this brush.

I then started thinking about getting my own "chubster" made by one of TSR's resident brush makers using one of these:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_42&products_id=491&zenid=0df0069a4a65d3e7902c571e33b7f23e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?m ... 1e33b7f23e</a><!-- m --> loft set at 50mm as per Simpson's spec.

Question is, should I await another Chubby 2 coming on the BST or see about getting one made (or buy some booze instead and just get drunk).

I am interested in finding out if anyone has a bespoke brush made with this knot (or a similar one of this size) and may have also used a Chubby 2.

Any opinions (or ridicule) greatly appreciated.

I think I'll get a chubby but I'm going to get the girlfriend to buy it me for a occasion.

After getting my Duke 2, a chubby 1 in super is what I need. Really impressed with the duke so it's a no brainer.

The last time I used TGN Silvertip it wasn't the greatest quality and nothing like Simpson Best or Super. (that may have changed) I'd recommend using their finest knot (24 or 26mm extra) which is plenty big enough and a bit scrubbier if you also want to use it with soaps. The 26mm extra will be nearer in size to a Chubby 2, 30mm is nearer the size of a CH3 which is huge btw.

Edit: The knot I tried was the standard Silver tip, not the grade A or Super. So yes I'd get one made instead of waiting for a CH2 one to turn up on the B/S/T.

KRF1963 said:
He who hesitates is lost hence I was beaten to a Chubby 2 in best by our own Sunbury lately.

I was given some money as a leaving present from my last job before Christmas and was thinking of spending it on this brush.

I then started thinking about getting my own "chubster" made by one of TSR's resident brush makers using one of these:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_42&products_id=491&zenid=0df0069a4a65d3e7902c571e33b7f23e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?m ... 1e33b7f23e</a><!-- m --> loft set at 50mm as per Simpson's spec.

Question is, should I await another Chubby 2 coming on the BST or see about getting one made (or buy some booze instead and just get drunk).

I am interested in finding out if anyone has a bespoke brush made with this knot (or a similar one of this size) and may have also used a Chubby 2.

Any opinions (or ridicule) greatly appreciated.

I wanted one in wood to my specifications, so I got Beejay to make one for me. I used an Ikon knot but he can make it to you own spec. If you want to see mine have a look in acquisitions for this week.

missingskin said:
I wanted one in wood to my specifications, so I got Beejay to make one for me. I used an Ikon knot but he can make it to you own spec. If you want to see mine have a look in acquisitions for this week.
I have a ikon chubby highly recomended :)

The Chubby 2 in Best is a great brush. It's not one I'd use every day and like every extra brush we get, completely unnecessary. But why are we here? Because we love these things. If you can pick up a Chubby 2 at a fair price, go for it. It's a great experience.

I have a bepoke "Chubby" with a TGN extra hair two band. It's a competely different brush compared with Simpsons Best Badger hair which I much prefer. The TGN was much too dense.

Thanks for all the advice - I think I might hold out for a Chubby 2 in best on the BST - Anyone got a spare one they don't use?

LMK and we will see if we can do a deal :D

I think you'll be lucky to find one on the BST unless jhclaire buys another. If you are looking for a chubby like brush because in part they are dense at least you can tailor exactly how dense you'd like it by knot choice or varying loft if you have one made. If you want to try my TGN Finest extra PM me.

antdad said:
I think you'll be lucky to find one on the BST unless jhclaire buys another. If you are looking for a chubby like brush because in part they are dense at least you can tailor exactly how dense you'd like it by knot choice or varying loft if you have one made. If you want to try my TGN Finest extra PM me.

Cheers Antdad, I already have a 24mm TGN Finest extra which I absolutely love - I just seem to covet the Chubby 2, I am tempted to get a Chubby "copy" custome made and I know one of our resident brushmaker can oblige with anythin I need. I am just a little wary over not getting a close enough match to the genuine article.

I will have to have a think. Fido's comments re his bespoke Chubby and his preference for the real thing is giving me food for thought.

Thanks to all for your views.

I hav e just worked out what I need :D

Fido, fancy making a series of "larger knotted" New Forest brushes? I would suggest a NF2801 or possibly a NF3001. :lol:

What do you reckon guys?

I've owned a few of these, and on paper I should love them, but they just don't do it for me, at least the current Vulfix crop.

The 2 is a pretty big brush, not in height, but in width. It can be a bit unwieldy to use. Feels bigger on the face than it looks (at least the fan shaped ones do). Absorbs half the water supply in your postcode, be sure to give it a good shake and squeeze before loading.

The 1 is tiny. I found it too way too small. Add to that the incredibly dense knot and and again I found it uncomfortable over multiple passes. Too hard on the face. Like lathering with a pencil eraser.

My solution? Get a Duke 3 in Best. Same size knot as Chubby 1, less dense (bit still very dense), and a much better handle.

John

jhclare said:
I've owned a few of these, and on paper I should love them, but they just don't do it for me, at least the current Vulfix crop.

The 2 is a pretty big brush, not in height, but in width. It can be a bit unwieldy to use. Feels bigger on the face than it looks (at least the fan shaped ones do). Absorbs half the water supply in your postcode, be sure to give it a good shake and squeeze before loading.

The 1 is tiny. I found it too way too small. Add to that the incredibly dense knot and and again I found it uncomfortable over multiple passes. Too hard on the face. Like lathering with a pencil eraser.

My solution? Get a Duke 3 in Best. Same size knot as Chubby 1, less dense (bit still very dense), and a much better handle.

John

Good shout, really is a jack of all trades and does all of them bloody well.

I, too, hardily endorse the Duke 3 in best. But....alas I want a Chubby as well. I thought I wanted a Chubby 3 but from all accounts it is much too big. So I want a Chubby 2 but don't know if I want it in Super, Best, or 2 band. :?

KRF1963 said:
I hav e just worked out what I need :D

Fido, fancy making a series of "larger knotted" New Forest brushes? I would suggest a NF2801 or possibly a NF3001. :lol:

What do you reckon guys?

While a little quieter than usual. I still keep an eye on things!

I have a number of things on the go which I mention on my New Forest Brushes Blog. I've now launched a brush in each of the three grades of Two Band, Finest Silvertip and High Mountain with the most popular 22 mm knot size. Now I'm making small numbers of hand made brushes in the New Forest, using the same knots and gradually introducing new materials. And I'm considering having all my handles made in England to a higher quality using different production methods.

I soon intend to make a small number of brushes with 24mm and 26mm two band knots - the latter a New Forest "Tubby" in ebony alternative with a laser printed logo beneath the handle. All done locally. I'll gradually roll out other sizes if I get continuing demand. And I will not be hiking up prices for larger brush sizes by more than a few pounds.

All these things take time - I'm still plodding along at a comfortable pace aware that things are changing all the time. So far, so good.

Back
Top Bottom