Traditional Popcorn

I think popping corn should be one of those things everyone should experience in life. It is great fun and to me on a par with making pancakes. It is something that is so simple I wonder why we don't do it more often. What did you flavour your popcorn with? Butter? Salt? Syrup? Stilton?? :D

Pig Cat said:
I think popping corn should be one of those things everyone should experience in life. It is great fun and to me on a par with making pancakes. It is something that is so simple I wonder why we don't do it more often. What did you flavour your popcorn with? Butter? Salt? Syrup? Stilton?? :D

I'm a minimalist - I just had it naked (no toppings, I was clothed) - SWMBO had it with butter and sugar (then complained of feeling fat)

hunnymonster said:
I'm a minimalist - I just had it naked (no toppings, I was clothed)

That's ironic. I like a lot of flavours but insist on eating it in the raw. You wouldn't believe the number of cinemas I'm banned from. :shock:

That looks like a good recipe. We've got an electric hob so not sure about keeping the heat going while shaking constantly, but will give it a go. We have some popping corn in the cupboard so will have to try it soon!

I've had a popcorn maker for years now - pop in the corn, put butter in the cup on top and turn it on - hot air blows on the corn and melts the butter - corn pops and leaps from the maker into a waiting bowl - pour butter and serve - mmmmmm - :hungrig

This was just now too, following reading this thread. The smell woke SWMBO up and she's just nicked a load :lol:

Good investment and gets used at least once or twice a month :twisted:

Just the thought of this thread is making me hungry ...

... got the machine on again awaiting second batch - it's not gonna be as nice as the sticky pan stuff, but it's too late to get the pans out!

In my younger days I was part of the Black Mesa Defense Committee. Very simply, the government decided the Hopi nation was being overrun by the Dine' ( Navajo) and forced many Dine' off their homes. What it amounted to in fact was a federal land grab and reduction of traditionals. BMDC didn't do anything sinister, except make smuggling runs past Hopi tribal police and federals with food and supplies to the holdouts. I did this via horseback at night several times.
Best popcorn I ever had was at a grandmother's hogan from her own harvest of local varietal heated over an open fire, the Milky way above unhindered by light pollution, shooting stars and God's Dog barking while she told Dine' creation stories and about the day her father returned from WW2, a code talker who couldn't even talk about what he did.

The Lady Friend has a clever little device for popping corn - essentially, a tin pot with a revolving lever that keeps the kernels in motion by the user turning the handle that is attached to the lid. Drop in a bit of oil, the kernels, crank up the heat, give it some slow turns, et voila - popcorn that ain't half bad. It came in a kit that included a variety of seasonings for flavor, but I'm partial to a bit of butter and plain salt.

Back
Top Bottom