Turntable rebuild

Yeah those old Northern 45s go for mad money now. And to be fair, probably not worth having an audiophile TT to play them on, seeing as most are quite worn now and weren't really recorded with hifi nerds in mind. £999 worth of singles and £1 for the talcum powder! ;-)
I just get my fix listening to Kev Andrews or Linda Doran on Twitch or Mixcloud. Not just him, there's quite a few on there that play NS.

Beautiful mate. Certainly puts my Sondek/Naim system to shame. I keep intending to improve my Linn. It could do with a new plinth but I'm not shelling £400 on a mitred box of 4 pieces of 4x1 and £500 to have it put into the plinth. I'd rather buy £1000 worth of 45's. In my game, Northern Soul that'll get me 1 or 2 records at best. That Oracle is a thing of beauty though, just like the Gyrodeck was too.

Linn/Naim? Classical set-up if ever.

Make your own plinth. Easy enough. I made one in Beech for an old Ariston RD11 (the original Linn?), made quite a few mods and my friend still uses it daily after 15 years. Probably the best turntable I have ever renovated/modded.

Never a Northern soul person here as I was more lost in the world of metal then the birth of punk, and punk still remains my musical(?) Love to this day....even if it has turned Japanese

Make your own plinth. Easy enough. I made one in Beech for an old Ariston RD11 (the original Linn?), made quite a few mods and my friend still uses it daily after 15 years. Probably the best turntable I have ever renovated/modded.

Never a Northern soul person here as I was more lost in the world of metal then the birth of punk, and punk still remains my musical(?) Love to this day....even if it has turned Japanese

This one. Actually an RD110. Beech and carbon fibre. A lot of mods on the inside..

IMG-20230929-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230929-WA0000.jpg

There are quite a few other decks out there I have done but God knows where they are now or who owns them.

Mate, each to their own. I've just sat in the Pub with my missus and said to her " Music people are the best people in the World" I stand by that remark mate.

Thank you.

An Oracle Delphi turntable with a Kuzma arm and Benz wood cartridge.
Jesus, just looked at the benz wood cartridge. It's more than my deck and cart. Bet it sounds fantastic though.
I went to a hifi show years ago in a massive room. there was a stereo system with audiopax mono block amps and speakers the height of me with cables like firehoses, i can't remember the deck they used but when they cranked it up, holy God it was so precisely accurately brilliant at any volume level. I have never heard anything as good since.
The mono blocks were £15,000 each and that was the 90's prices. Hi fi's will drive you to bankruptcy. :LOL:

Jesus, just looked at the benz wood cartridge. It's more than my deck and cart. Bet it sounds fantastic though.
I went to a hifi show years ago in a massive room. there was a stereo system with audiopax mono block amps and speakers the height of me with cables like firehoses, i can't remember the deck they used but when they cranked it up, holy God it was so precisely accurately brilliant at any volume level. I have never heard anything as good since.
The mono blocks were £15,000 each and that was the 90's prices. Hi fi's will drive you to bankruptcy. :LOL:
Yep it's expensive.

Cheap then.

The serious high end is silly money. I've seen record decks in excess of £300,000 and amps and speakers? £1m+.

A bit like Wolfman razors, there is always extremism

Yeh the Benz is nice to say the least. I did have a £4,000 (never paid that) Ortofon once. Never had anything so accurate and detailed. But what it did was make half my records unplayable as it just picked up every nuance and mistake. Too analytical. What it wasn't, was musical. Couldn't wait to get rid if it

Hiya,

Quick slightly skewed detour about some of my friends building a Chicago recording studio in the early 70s. Did the work themselves (sound rooms and such) and back then it was 16 track Studer equipment being used.

Lots of small independent studios were opening up around that time. Sadly, their place didn't do well and then after a while one night it just kinda burned up! Some arson and insurance investigations musta cleared em since no one went to the slammer.

Thanks for the indulgence,

Martin

And one final shot of the finished article

20231001_085915.jpg

Hiya,

Quick slightly skewed detour about some of my friends building a Chicago recording studio in the early 70s. Did the work themselves (sound rooms and such) and back then it was 16 track Studer equipment being used.

Lots of small independent studios were opening up around that time. Sadly, their place didn't do well and then after a while one night it just kinda burned up! Some arson and insurance investigations musta cleared em since no one went to the slammer.

Thanks for the indulgence,

Martin

I had an old deck from a film studio which oddly had seen fire damage. I didn't have any photos but did find this on the Internet which is definitely my rebuild. This one took around 6 months to build due to no spares of any kind.....

de3cf033e9a68acd4e66fe3225e0f740cd70798a.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom