Vintage Culmak restore

This is my first brush restoration attempt. It's an old Culmak brush that I picked up as an extra in a travel set. The knot I used for the restore is a TGN 18mm best badger; I set the loft at 45mm. The knot is a little more bulb shaped than I prefer and the tips of the bristles are scritchier than Simpson's best, but I'm quite pleased with my first attempt, it's got the right sort of backbone that I was going for and makes for quite a nice face lathering brush. Generates lather in no time at all and releases it well.

Pre-bloom shot first and then after two lathers.

232239c9.jpg
e581a946.jpg

This is what the brush looked like originally. I cut the bristles off near the base and drilled the old knot out, then cleaned up the inside with a rotary tool. I went a bit deeper than I needed to really because I wanted to play about with the loft. Since I had gone deeper than required, I decided to use Milliput epoxy putty to set the knot. This allowed me to fill the hole to required level and set the knot in one go.

5c8ef9b9.jpg

4686dc5e.jpg

f73b9fbf.jpg

Awsome Stuff, really nice looking brush, now i want another vintage restore.............git !

also didn't realise the Wee Scot was so tiny :eek: :shock: are these made in Lilliput :? :?

My god................looks good but christ it's tiny

I didn't do anything special with it, just gave it a bit of a polish with Maas. On the other side of the brush the Culmak name is still faintly impressed. I've tried filling it in with a fine pen, but I'm not that happy with it, I think I may just clean it out and leave it blank. Unless anybody has any other ideas about what I could fill the imprint with?

cca1e19a.jpg

That's lovely.

Where is a decent place to find a butterscotch handle?! I'm stumped and you've really inspired me to do a resto now.

I picked the two pictured up off ebay. They were hidden inside the chrome travel tubes in two old grooming kits that I picked up primarily for the razors.

Yellow Jim said:
This is my first brush restoration attempt. It's an old Culmak brush that I picked up as an extra in a travel set. The knot I used for the restore is a TGN 18mm best badger; I set the loft at 45mm. The knot is a little more bulb shaped than I prefer and the tips of the bristles are scritchier than Simpson's best, but I'm quite pleased with my first attempt, it's got the right sort of backbone that I was going for and makes for quite a nice face lathering brush. Generates lather in no time at all and releases it well.

Pre-bloom shot first and then after two lathers.

232239c9.jpg
e581a946.jpg

This is what the brush looked like originally. I cut the bristles off near the base and drilled the old knot out, then cleaned up the inside with a rotary tool. I went a bit deeper than I needed to really because I wanted to play about with the loft. Since I had gone deeper than required, I decided to use Milliput epoxy putty to set the knot. This allowed me to fill the hole to required level and set the knot in one go.

5c8ef9b9.jpg

4686dc5e.jpg

f73b9fbf.jpg

A big pat on the back to you sir,that is a job very well done,i'm thinking i should send you my handle and knot to fix for me.

Dave.

Thank you Dave. Maybe best to leave your restore in the hands of one of the more experienced brush makers though, I wouldn't want to muck it up. ;)
Try giving it a go yourself though, if I can manage it without too many problems I think anybody can.

Back
Top Bottom