Was Gillette's zenith the Superspeed?

The captivating world of vintage Gillette razors becomes vivid as the Mad Scientist of Shaving unveils the secrets of their brilliance. As I watched his enthralling video, I couldn't help but nod in agreement. He brilliantly highlights how a perfect storm of factors in the US - a powerful industrial base, the post-World War II era, top-notch quality control, and unparalleled mass production capabilities - converged to make the Superspeed razor the pinnacle of DE razors from about 1946 onwards. But l would also add the incredible engineering and marketing talent, also put them miles ahead of the competition. It's remarkable how everything aligned at a precise moment in time to create shaving perfection. Was it ever bettered?' arguably, no!

Of course for many, Gillette’s zenith maybe represented by one of their other models but after purchasing more razors than I would care to admit, I found myself agreeing with him that modern razors do not hold a candle to vintage Gillette’s (artisan models probably being the exception). I think if you enter the world of DE wet shaving you owe it to yourself to give some of the vintage Gillette’s a good run. I started off wanting new and shiny but the real gold was in vintage Gillette’s.

The Mad Scientist has not posted for many years, but really some terrific reviews, views and and old world charm and sagacity in many of his video’s, worth checking-out if you have not watched him before…

The captivating world of vintage Gillette razors becomes vivid as the Mad Scientist of Shaving unveils the secrets of their brilliance. As I watched his enthralling video, I couldn't help but nod in agreement. He brilliantly highlights how a perfect storm of factors in the US - a powerful industrial base, the post-World War II era, top-notch quality control, and unparalleled mass production capabilities - converged to make the Superspeed razor the pinnacle of DE razors from about 1946 onwards. But l would also add the incredible engineering and marketing talent, also put them miles ahead of the competition. It's remarkable how everything aligned at a precise moment in time to create shaving perfection. Was it ever bettered?' arguably, no!

Of course for many, Gillette’s zenith maybe represented by one of their other models but after purchasing more razors than I would care to admit, I found myself agreeing with him that modern razors do not hold a candle to vintage Gillette’s (artisan models probably being the exception). I think if you enter the world of DE wet shaving you owe it to yourself to give some of the vintage Gillette’s a good run. I started off wanting new and shiny but the real gold was in vintage Gillette’s.

The Mad Scientist has not posted for many years, but really some terrific reviews, views and and old world charm and sagacity in many of his video’s, worth checking-out if you have not watched him before…

I've never used a Super Speed, I don't know why but perhaps it's time I did?
Let's see what the fuss is about. :)

Paul

The OLD is the razor to measure others by, but the New Improved, the New, and the Tech, are also standing infinitely close to the pinnacle. The Super Speeds are certainly great razors, and deserve their place amongst the best ever, but not at the top, at least not IMO.

The Superspeed was no doubt the result of much R&D, testing and ultimately I guess judgements on what would find favour with the greatest number of users. I have Techs, New's, and adjustables, all great shavers, but not an old — yet. It has taken me much time, working through Gillette's back catalouge and using the razors extensively to get a good feel for them. And, I still have some way to go, but I have not found a dud, and I am getting a sense of the judgement calls made by the engineers, on the razors I have used.

Yes the Tech's are great shavers and the sumptous luxury of their simplicty is unbeatable; with the adjustables, I think the marketing boys at Gillette got the upper hand. They shave well enougth and I love the engineering, but ultimately the ergonomics are a bit off. The NEW's I also think perform great but this shavers preference, for the moment at least, is the Superspeed design, I do think they hit the sweet spot.

I agree with "Big John" everything came together in the Superspeed design; many of my modern razors now feel crude in comparison. I also think, objectively the quality of what was coming out of Gillette's factories in the 40's, 50's and early 60's has not really been bettered. I'll aim to post an update in 70 years or so, on how the threads or adjustable mechanisms on my modern razors are holding up :).

The OLD is the razor to measure others by, but the New Improved, the New, and the Tech, are also standing infinitely close to the pinnacle. The Super Speeds are certainly great razors, and deserve their place amongst the best ever, but not at the top, at least not IMO.

I've got one of those Superspeeds, or the English counterpart the Rocket, I think my razor is from 1950 or so. It is a wonderful design, a fantastic piece of engineering.

To address the OP, I think many could say whether the Superspeed has been surpassed for it's design and quality. Maybe there are others that are equal, eg Slim Adjustable but maybe not better.

In terms of the shave itself, I've never quite taken to the TTO razor head, I find it can be a bit awkward to shave under the nose in comparison to the 3 piece Gillette razor heads. In addition I find the clamping of the blade to not be as rigid as some other of their razors.

On the subject of engineering back in the day, I recently acquired a Goodwill. I found almost no blades would fit the top cap. I measured all the blades with my digital calipers and the blades were all the same width according to two decimal points. I later found out Indian Gillette blades fit the Goodwill whilst other brands do not. So the Goodwill was made to incredibly tight tolerances so only a few blade brands would fit.100 years later my digital calipers can't work out the differences of the blades but the Goodwill was made to take account of those tolerances which must be less than 0.01mm.

The Superspeed was no doubt the result of much R&D, testing and ultimately I guess judgements on what would find favour with the greatest number of users. I have Techs, New's, and adjustables, all great shavers, but not an old — yet. It has taken me much time, working through Gillette's back catalouge and using the razors extensively to get a good feel for them. And, I still have some way to go, but I have not found a dud, and I am getting a sense of the judgement calls made by the engineers, on the razors I have used.

Yes the Tech's are great shavers and the sumptous luxury of their simplicty is unbeatable; with the adjustables, I think the marketing boys at Gillette got the upper hand. They shave well enougth and I love the engineering, but ultimately the ergonomics are a bit off. The NEW's I also think perform great but this shavers preference, for the moment at least, is the Superspeed design, I do think they hit the sweet spot.

I agree with "Big John" everything came together in the Superspeed design; many of my modern razors now feel crude in comparison. I also think, objectively the quality of what was coming out of Gillette's factories in the 40's, 50's and early 60's has not really been bettered. I'll aim to post an update in 70 years or so, on how the threads or adjustable mechanisms on my modern razors are holding up :).

Some great points here.

Sorry if I ramble off topic a little below.

I had some suspicion for the 'cheap Ball End Tech'. Not the desirable all brass one, but the one with a brass top cap, and aluminium baseplate and handle. I presume it was made when they had metal shortages.

In the hand it is obvious it lacks the quality feel of the all brass counterpart and I myself didn't buy one as they didn't look as nice as the all brass counterpart either. In the shave though the aluminium one is glorious! It shaves far better than it should do.

It's not their most high quality piece of engineering, clearly built for a budget with cheaper materials but it's a really great piece of design nonetheless. Personally it was my eureka design of theirs.

I'd recommend picking one if you haven't already done so.

Some great points here.

I had some suspicion for the 'cheap Ball End Tech'. Not the desirable all brass one, but the one with a brass top cap, and aluminium baseplate and handle. I presume it was made when they had metal shortages.

In the hand it is obvious it lacks the quality feel of the all brass counterpart and I myself didn't buy one as they didn't look as nice as the all brass counterpart either. In the shave though the aluminium one is glorious! It shaves far better than it should do.

It's not their most high quality piece of engineering, clearly built for a budget with cheaper materials but it's a really great piece of design nonetheless. Personally it was my eureka design of theirs.

It is strange how we can connect with a razor, even if, intuitively we think that it will not be a fit; I endeavour to remain open minded, though I do not always suceed in overcoming my many biases. I find that even if my conscious objectivity fails me, like when I try to convince myself that a new, shiny, expensive razor shaves well when it is actually just average, my subconscious will, in-time, step-in with ruthless objectivity, and automatically want to reach for the razor that gives me the best shaves, and sometimes that can be surprising. I will put the ali ball end tech on the list - thank you for recommending.

I've got one of those Superspeeds, or the English counterpart the Rocket, I think my razor is from 1950 or so. It is a wonderful design, a fantastic piece of engineering.

To address the OP, I think many could say whether the Superspeed has been surpassed for it's design and quality. Maybe there are others that are equal, eg Slim Adjustable but maybe not better.

In terms of the shave itself, I've never quite taken to the TTO razor head, I find it can be a bit awkward to shave under the nose in comparison to the 3 piece Gillette razor heads. In addition I find the clamping of the blade to not be as rigid as some other of their razors.

On the subject of engineering back in the day, I recently acquired a Goodwill. I found almost no blades would fit the top cap. I measured all the blades with my digital calipers and the blades were all the same width according to two decimal points. I later found out Indian Gillette blades fit the Goodwill whilst other brands do not. So the Goodwill was made to incredibly tight tolerances so only a few blade brands would fit.100 years later my digital calipers can't work out the differences of the blades but the Goodwill was made to take account of those tolerances which must be less than 0.01mm.
My Goodwill easily uses modern blades, it was meant to exclude the three hole blades specifically, so as to promote the New blades.

Some great points here.

I once refused to have a Tech, I thought they were cheap crappy razors, I even referred to them as "Gillette's first disposable", but then someone gave me one and I've been an enlightened shaver ever since. They all shave amazingly well, I could easily go the rest of my life with just one Tech, and I would die a very happy man.

I've never used a Super Speed, I don't know why but perhaps it's time I did?
Let's see what the fuss is about. :)

Paul
Great razors to be sure, I seem to prefer the plain chrome knob Flare Tip Super Speed. Beware of the '41 Ranger Tech, I avoided them for years as being an over priced Super Speed (the head looks identical) and the shave is pretty good if you shave every day, but a couple of days growth will clog it solid, you have to loosen the doors and wash it out with every pass. It's the only Gillette I have that does that.

My Goodwill easily uses modern blades, it was meant to exclude the three hole blades specifically, so as to promote the New blades.

Which version of the Goodwill do you have?

Here is a picture of my one's top cap. The posts in the corners seem to prevent all blades from sitting in the razor symmetrically.

IMG_20230714_144956.jpg

Here is a blade that fits

IMG_20230714_144929.jpg

Here is one that doesn't

IMG_20230714_145147.jpg

I've used it for one shave, and it's the most aggressive Gillette razor I have ever used.

Attachments

• IMG_20230714_145917.jpg
    IMG_20230714_145917.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 6
I once refused to have a Tech, I thought they were cheap crappy razors, I even referred to them as "Gillette's first disposable", but then someone gave me one and I've been an enlightened shaver ever since. They all shave amazingly well, I could easily go the rest of my life with just one Tech, and I would die a very happy man.

For whatever reason I associate you to be an open comb kind of guy. If I had an Old Type for daily shaves and a NEW LC for a few days more, I'd be fine.

It is strange how we can connect with a razor, even if, intuitively we think that it will not be a fit; I endeavour to remain open minded, though I do not always suceed in overcoming my many biases. I find that even if my conscious objectivity fails me, like when I try to convince myself that a new, shiny, expensive razor shaves well when it is actually just average, my subconscious will, in-time, step-in with ruthless objectivity, and automatically want to reach for the razor that gives me the best shaves, and sometimes that can be surprising. I will put the ali ball end tech on the list - thank you for recommending.

Yeah I agree.

I never got too distracted by shiny stainless razors, I never strayed too far from the path of vintage Gillettes. Once I discovered a Fat Handle Tech, it became my go to razor.

You make a great point though about being blind sided by the latest shiny invention. My one isn't razors but modern synths. They can be easy to use and don't shed, but I always come back to unbleached Omega boars. My current favourite is a 10077. I'm not entirely sure why but it and a stick of Arko, I'll get some of the best performing lathers.

PS I have new 10066, 10051 and 10290's too. I read your classic small Omega thread and bought them all. Even though I think they have changed their bristles they are still glorious brushes at any price.

Yeah I agree.

I never got too distracted by shiny stainless razors, I never strayed too far from the path of vintage Gillettes. Once I discovered a Fat Handle Tech, it became my go to razor.

You make a great point though about being blind sided by the latest shiny invention. My one isn't razors but modern synths. They can be easy to use and don't shed, but I always come back to unbleached Omega boars. My current favourite is a 10077. I'm not entirely sure why but it and a stick of Arko, I'll get some of the best performing lathers.

PS I have new 10066, 10051 and 10290's too. I read your classic small Omega thread and bought them all. Even though I think they have changed their bristles they are still glorious brushes at any price.

Yes...small Omega boars remain my favourite brushes as well, although I still enjoy using synths, badger, mixes and horse from time to time. I recently used one of my new, stored 10290's in the belief that my old 10290 after 10 years heavy use probably was not the brush I started with. I was suprised that my stored 10290 had unbleached bristles whilst my old one has bleached bristles. Both still performed and felt great. I carefully cleaned, dryed and re-boxed my unbleached Omega and put back into storage; my 10 year old 10290 is good for another 10 years, I suspect. With a modicum of care, the Omega boar brushes are just about indestructible. Whilst my badgers feel great, I tire of the heavy maintenace to keep them free of soap build-up.

IMHE, best vintage Gillette models was the metal Slim Twist.
If efficiency is the game, classic Slim Twist and Super Slim Twist is a step over.
The metal latest models of Slim Twist are even better.
Totally efficient, super smooth, easy to use.

And very nice ... as this Gillette Slim Twist S1 Gold 1997.
zWFUHrU.jpeg

lpwcvJk.jpeg

pKi4LS6.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom