What are you reading at the moment?

I was thinking about buying this book. I read a review on Amazon which turned me off buying.
It read, "The book is well written and includes lots of interesting information. However, the title 'The People's War' is misleading as it delves more in to the war from the establishment's point of view and most of the 'people' text is London based. The book was interesting but didn't provide what I was looking for. If anything, the title should read 'The establishment's war with a Londoner's perspective'."
What are your thoughts on this, @PHR? Is it a good description?

I was thinking about buying this book. I read a review on Amazon which turned me off buying.
It read, "The book is well written and includes lots of interesting information. However, the title 'The People's War' is misleading as it delves more in to the war from the establishment's point of view and most of the 'people' text is London based. The book was interesting but didn't provide what I was looking for. If anything, the title should read 'The establishment's war with a Londoner's perspective'."
What are your thoughts on this, @PHR? Is it a good description?
I wouldn't agree with that at all, if anything, in the first few chapters the author comes across as a Marxist! A large part of it is Londoncentric as it deals with the blitz and it's affect, but the bomb attacks in other areas are also covered, it's just that London and the South were attacked more frequently. Throughout the text is sprinkled with quotes from Mass Observation and also political diaries, as now most working people didn't bother keeping a diary I suppose. I think the title is partly meant to be ironic, as it was a slogan used at the time. I suspect your reviewer thought it would be solely about working people. Here's the introduction, if it's of any use:

20240824_153945.jpg

20240824_154019.jpg20240824_154026.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom