What Watch Are You Wearing Today?

I have one of the same 4 liner submariners (2011 or 2014 from memory) with random serial number. I believe the last few batches have the Parachrom Bleu Hairspring fitted, which apparently makes them a little more desirable.

Good explanation below in case you are not familiar and/or interested…

20240616_144834.jpg
My first post here and was inspired and touched by @OrangeSport and his post wearing his dads watch.
I decided to wear my Grandads pocket watch for the day, it's my most treasured possession and just taking it off the plinth that he made to hang it on placed a lump in my throat.
I have a thing for pocket watches and it's down to this and it holds just so many memories of him.
Anyway happy fathers day and thank you for inspiring me to wear it.

View attachment 121719
My first post here and was inspired and touched by @OrangeSport and his post wearing his dads watch.
I decided to wear my Grandads pocket watch for the day, it's my most treasured possession and just taking it off the plinth that he made to hang it on placed a lump in my throat.
I have a thing for pocket watches and it's down to this and it holds just so many memories of him.

That's lovely - I had an Ingersoll many many years ago.

The plinth is a very nice touch..

View attachment 121719

Touching post. You hit a nerve.

My grandfather and I were very close. He died in the early 1980s and left me his pocket watch shortly before he died. Out of interest, I looked up the value of the watch a few years age and it is worth £20 at best.

I have been building a high end watch collection for a number of years now and of all the watches, my grandfathers pocket watch remains my most valued and cherished one.

I would have taken a picture of it, but the watch is sitting in the safe at the bank.

Aliexpress summer sale so ordered a couple of watches to try out...

First to arrive was this Militado ML05:

1000004564 (1).jpg

Sandblasted stainless steel case & single dome sapphire crystal... All for £34 delivered.

A Chinese production Vietnam era style US military issued field watch, still produced by Hamilton and Benrus today but neither of them own the actual design... Much like the "dirty dozen" watches of WW2 the design was drawn up and issued by the US military for watchmakers to produce so it's out there for anyone to use.

I've had a hand wind Khaki and would say this is superior, yeah really... Especially for the money. Visual differences are minimal, the sandblasted finish on the ML05 is satin rather than the rough matte finish of the Khaki, the ML05 has a screw down crown so 100m water resistance and also has drilled lug holes. The catch? That Seiko quartz movement. Yeah that modified ETA2824 in the Khaki is cool but c'mon this is £30! At least is a mechaquartz so it ticks 4 times per second which does a very good job of emulating a low beat mechanical of 60 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom