What's the most you have ever paid for blades?

Andy strangely enough over the last three weeks I have been using a feather with excellent results; however this morning I decided a change of direction and load a yellow and I did notice a drag and not as close compared to the feather. Cost wise Yellow between 10-12p Feather 20-22p depending on quantity.
Jim

I've tried about 80 different blades and the most expensive were Feathers. They do give you a close shave but can br a bit harsh and wear out quickly; depends what your priorities are. I did a blade review spreadsheet (stickied in DE blades) and it'll give you an indication although I haven't referred to actual prices, just how good value they are to performance. The document is inevitably subjective but might be worth a cursory glance.

Shipwrecked said:
Andy strangely enough over the last three weeks I have been using a feather with excellent results; however this morning I decided a change of direction and load a yellow and I did notice a drag and not as close compared to the feather. Cost wise Yellow between 10-12p Feather 20-22p depending on quantity.
Jim

Thanks Jim

NotTheStig said:
I've tried about 80 different blades and the most expensive were Feathers. They do give you a close shave but can br a bit harsh and wear out quickly; depends what your priorities are. I did a blade review spreadsheet (stickied in DE blades) and it'll give you an indication although I haven't referred to actual prices, just how good value they are to performance. The document is inevitably subjective but might be worth a cursory glance.

Great...I'm going to hunt your spreadsheet now....:)

I think Feathers have been my most expensive at £10 for 3 packs so that's about 33p per blade. Worth it? To me, no. Absolutely not.

I really want to try Bolzano but they're similarly dear at about 34p a blade (Connaught), though there are some on eBay, albeit a pretty similar price. Too rich for me, especially as I change blade every 2 shaves.

I generally pay up to about 15p per blade for 7 o'clock yellow or green on eBay in quantities of 50-100. Worth it? Yes.

Canuck said:
I think Feathers have been my most expensive at £10 for 3 packs so that's about 33p per blade. Worth it? To me, no. Absolutely not.

I really want to try Bolzano but they're similarly dear at about 34p a blade (Connaught), though there are some on eBay, albeit a pretty similar price. Too rich for me, especially as I change blade every 2 shaves.

I generally pay up to about 15p per blade for 7 o'clock yellow or green on eBay in quantities of 50-100. Worth it? Yes.

Great, thanks.....thats a helpful answer. The price range for blades is pretty wide.

Canuck said:

If you want a couple of packs of the Bolzano to try out I'll happily PIF them on down to you. I had a few packs in stock when I moved on to single edge shaving almost completely so I'm pleased to see them being used.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Canuck said:

I'll be going for either 50 or 100 shortly due to the fact they work out a little cheaper (20p ish)

hunnymonster said:
£1.50 for 5 - Gillette Platinums at the local chemist for local people.

Worth it? Well they were way better than the Derbys... but not worth the premium over other blades IMO

I was kindly piffed a pack of these, bloody awesome. On the look out for some reasonably priced ones now - super smooth and sharp, with no irritation.

newageshaver said:
Hi everyone, Just looking on Ebay for DE blades and got to wondering about how much the most expensive ones people buy and whether they are worth the price.

Hi there,

Take a look and see what the Personna74 blades sell for...both the injector and DE type. You'll be amazed at what these old things can command, especially the DE ones ($2-4 each is pretty common and about $1 for the injectors).

Some of the old Willkinson blades can get a little pricy also. The vintage Light Brigade blades will sell for a couple bucks each or so, and some other varieties like the Super Sword can get close to the $1 level. There's lots of times you can find em for less (like half or even less), but you gotta be patient.

Then you have the various old Gillettes like Platinum Plus or Super Stainless Steel (Spoilers), and there's a couple vintage Schick blades that can get expensive as well. Usually those will sell for around 75-80 cents a piece.

Far as some of these blades being worth the money......what can I say. I've used some of those blades and some were just excellent...as good or better than my go to currently made blade. It's tough for me to justify the high prices because I run into these and buy em right. I try never to spend more than what a Feather blade costs......around 40 cents or so. I don't know if I could bring myself to pay $2 or more per blade.....heh, there's no telling what I might do if need be. I could probably rationalize it somehow.

Next time you're on ebay, do a completed sale search for those old blades and see what happens.

Martin

If I remember correctly mostly blades like the Gillette Greens at 20cents come in close to tops for non vintage blades. Had and have feathers but buy only if they come in an assortment.

To be honest, the cost doesnt make any of them prohibitive, so if it works for use that one. even Feathers being the most expensive at 33pence. its nothing really.

Even if you only ever use one for 2 shaves, and if you shave every day thats about 60 quid a year. Its chuff all really.

Back
Top Bottom