When to stop trying new blades?

I could personally use just two blades Feather and Gillette super thins, i also rate quite a few others, but it's like food there are many steaks you could buy or order, but after 52 years of eating steak I can say without question that I really like a medium rare fillet, or a Ribeye both matured for 21 days, I also like many other cuts of meat but those are the two I will order if i'm eating out. there's no problem experimenting, but sometimes you must also realise that's as good as it gets.

Jamie.

Hiya,

I found my favorite two blades years ago, and I'll use those almost all the time. They're especially handy when trying a new razor, and it's usually pretty easy to tell if that's gonna be a good fit or not.

Sometimes people will send me blades to try, and I have no problem giving em a shot in my control razor. Only takes a couple strokes to know if they fit or not, and it's easy to toss it away if it doesn't work out. Some good blades I've tried that way have been Lion and Shark ones.

I'm lucky because I will sometimes find vintage Gillette and Schick blades in the wild, and if they're stainless steel I'll usually grab em and see what happens. Blades like the Gillette 'Spoiler' and Schick Plus Platinum are good ones, and those blades have plenty of fans. Even though some are 30-40 years old, they still perform pretty darn well. Not as good as my favored Iridium, but much better than average. I should also mention the price for these is always next to nothing..maybe a few cents per blade.

Heh, there's been a few vintages ones though..................just amazing blades. Certainly as good (or maybe even better )than the Iridium, which surprised the hell outta me when I first tried one. Extremely sharp yet forgiving, and they gave me an extra 2-3 shaves per blade.

Yeah, trying a new blade is always worth the 30 seconds needed to see what the deal is.

Martin

Well my conclusion having nearly finished the sampler is that trying new blades just adds to the fun. Plenty of surprises along the way. Gillette tends not to be my thing but amongst others Lord platinum class, Big Ben, Treets and Supermax are really pretty good and amazingly cheap.

My wife does now think I'm insane but doesn't worry about it !

hmmm....ive still to try 7 oclock yellow and green...and a shark to see if they are any good

no point buyin loads to see if i don't like them

but i will endeavour to find some i can settle on

But how can you really be sure. It's it rally like 22 shells where it's not only the Brand, but the Lot # that you have to keep track of. So you cann't just buy a box you have buy a sleeve. Wow there would be millions of combination, infinite if you really thought about it. ........

Keeping notes on the performance of different makes of blades doesn't appear to be a bad idea. Even in this techno age, I still get a 'Letts' little black book (diary) sent to me for christmas as a bit of a joke from the wife. Because I always say that when I was a younger man, It contained the telephone numbers of numerous girls, (a blatant lie gents) but now my little black book only contains computer log on names and passwords!!!
I will use my current LBB to keep notes on razor blade performance.

Back
Top Bottom