Wilkinson Sword- Blue Bowl

Hello all,

It's been almost 3 months now since I started shaving with a DE, and this was the first soap that I started with.

After posting on here about the equipment I had, I was told basically that this was crap, and the only good thing about it was the bowl that it came in. I had to agree too, as I could never get a good lather with it, just a very poor, thin spread on my face.

I popped it out of its bowl, placed it in a little plastic bag, and forgot about it in one of my cupboards. I used the pot to grate a Boots shaving stick into, and found that to be so much better.

Last night, I decided to dig it out of the cupboard, and give it a test lather for no real reason at all :icon_rolleyes:

I found that although not as good a lather as the Cella I've been using lately, I did manage to make a much thicker lather than previously, one that I would have been happy to shave with. I took a lot longer loading the brush than I did when I first started, and I found it took a lot more water than I expected too.

It may have been more effort, but I would now say it is possible to get a good lather out of it. To be fair, with Palmolive available for much less, producing a much better lather, more easily, I wouldn't recommend it to any beginners, but I wouldn't say it's as unusable as I first thought.

Does anyone actually get on with this soap?

I can't imagine anyone using it on a daily basis, but is there anyone who doesn't hate it? :icon_razz:

Lose the beard said:
I believe it is universally disliked. Someone must buy it though :s

That's the idea I got when I joined :icon_razz:

I wouldn't buy it again, I just noticed that I could get a good lather out of it. Well, an acceptable lather in comparison to other soaps. Maybe I'll use it, but then why work hard to create an OK lather when some soaps are easy as anything to lather, and better quality too.

No one on here buys it, evidently :blush:

NotTheStig said:
Too much good stuff out there for me to bother with it again.

I agree, not really worth the effort. After a think about it, it's back in it's bag in the cupboard again now :D

I don't really know why I can't bring myself to bin it, maybe because it was a gift, and my first soap. :angel:

I bought mine but it was my first soap too. It put me off the idea of soaps for a good while but I did chuck it eventually. If you do keep it you could try adding a couple of drops of glycerine. I haven't tried but imagine it would help at least a little

NotTheStig said:
I bought mine but it was my first soap too. It put me off the idea of soaps for a good while but I did chuck it eventually. If you do keep it you could try adding a couple of drops of glycerine. I haven't tried but imagine it would help at least a little

Thanks, I may try it :).

I'm loving Cella too much at the moment, I have a few samples I really need to try too, I keep telling myself I will get round to them. I wish my beard grew faster!

Smell The Glove said:
It's fine, just needs a bit of patience. If it was 10 times the price, there would be threads devoted to getting the best out of this product.

Stopped using it myself years ago.

Heh, when you put it like that....

It does take a lot more effort, I realise when I first started my lathering was awful, and I didn't take the time needed, but the other day with more skill and more patience and effort I did produce a lather which can be defined as a lather, unlike before.

It was the one that I started out with and while I knew no better I thought it was fine. I didn't notice problems, possibly because of my ignorance. I'm curious to buy some more now that I have more experience just to see if it as bad as "everyone" says it is. First I need to make some space though :)

Back
Top Bottom