New SE razor - The General

You guys are a pretty well informed lot so this may very well not be any news - but for those of you who have missed the news about this one here's some info and pictures.

Usual disclaimer applies: I don't know these guys and have no stake or relationship with the company or the product in any way, shape or form - this is just to share information.
All photos below courtesy of Colonial Razors

2cf42g9.jpg

Razor: "The General"
Company: Colonial Razors
Type: SE razor
Material: Aluminum 6061 w/ black, anodized/sandblasted finish.
Manufacturing method: CNC machined
Blade: Feather/Kai SE blades.
Release date: Early 2016
Price: TBD but inital estimates about USD 80-90
Site: No official site yet but they do have a FB page and can also be reached via email

The company was founded by Kirk and Kyle Evans (twin brothers) who will initially start with a small batch of 25-50 razors.

2zyh8jo.jpg

The design of the handle was, they explain, inspired by the look of a cannon
as28g.jpg

oszi9c.jpg

zx3a6g.jpg

Last edited:
Top of the list would be does it shave well, but I'm not convinced I'd call that handle "designed" , looks like it took all of 10 minutes.

I don't get this fascination with "Black" especially when using Alloys, there a re a myriad of choices with anodizing, and the work done by Delta echo shows whats possible with other coatings, with the exception of the fabulous Blackbird with a truly "designed" handle and head, black is starting to make me feel its being used to disguise the lack of design.

Top of the list would be does it shave well, but I'm not convinced I'd call that handle "designed" , looks like it took all of 10 minutes.

I don't get this fascination with "Black" especially when using Alloys, there a re a myriad of choices with anodizing, and the work done by Delta echo shows whats possible with other coatings, with the exception of the fabulous Blackbird with a truly "designed" handle and head, black is starting to make me feel its being used to disguise the lack of design.

Well lucky for you there will apparently also be a silver version ;)

Here is a picture of the top cap and base plate disassembled. The top cap uses a stainless steel M5 x 0.8 mm set screw.

As far as design, we have gone with a minimalist look. The black anodizing is not used to hide anything.

On a side note, I have thick stubble and whisked off 5 days growth with two passes. The lack of weight is no concern for me, but as I see, it may be for others. We are still open to making a brass or stainless version in the future, but that is not our top priority now.

Regards,

Colonial Razors

Attachments

• IMG_1577.JPG
    IMG_1577.JPG
    463.8 KB · Views: 40
We are open to all anodized colors, so that's not out of the possibility. Bronze anodizing would be neat for sure.

Nice to see you have an open mind, I agree the Bronze would look neat.

Truly I am not being disrespectful to your product, I stated in my first post that top of the list is, "does it shave well", I am not a big fan of most things black, but I do understand its appeal to others.

Brass and a recommendation of the shave quality would have me in the queue to buy one though,

Good luck.

Stacy,

The razor is efficient and not too aggressive. We are very satisfied with the recent prototype and would say it shaves equally well with anything we've ever used (e.g., Edwin Jagger, Weber, Gillettes, Mongoose, Merkurs, etc).

Regards,

Colonial Razors

Back
Top Bottom