New SE razor - The General

Richard, that is very logical and possible. I will speak to Kyle about this.

Regards,

Kirk Evans

And bonus: no forum/community feels 'left out' = a lot of brownie points for you :)

Even though I'm in the US I would actually suggest 'starting' in the UK anyway as this forum has the best track record of running successful pass around that I know of.

I like the look of the razor.

I'm curioius though, why are the new se razors being made which only work with Feather blades and not Gem style blades?
Easier to build a head to fit Feathers or do people just prefer Feathers on the whole. Just wondering.

I'm curioius though, why are the new se razors being made which only work with Feather blades and not Gem style blades?
Easier to build a head to fit Feathers or do people just prefer Feathers on the whole. Just wondering.

Not all of them - you also have the SingleEdge (due out in March) that is using traditional injector blades - but you're right in that I can't recall a single new razor that uses Gem SE blades... A bit odd I agree.

Wazza,

We have plans to do a GEM-style SE eventually! Once we are up and running with The General, I will start pondering it.

Regards,

Colonial Razors

Wazza,

We actually began designing a GEM SE a few months ago, but when we heard of Personna possibly ending production on the SE blades, we decided to go with a Feather/Kai SE instead. From what I heard recently, Personna has chosen to continue manufacturing them.

Colonial Razors

The obvious problem with the Gem type blades is the size the head has to be to accommodate it. I say this as moving forwards more compact razors are the preferred weapon of choice. But to be clear my favourite non straight razor to date is the Gem Microtome, my B3 Mongoose I'm being totally unimpressed by, and thats after 3 different types of blade and a Jurgen Hempel handle. Also up for a pass around of this razor if arranged!

Wazza,

We actually began designing a GEM SE a few months ago, but when we heard of Personna possibly ending production on the SE blades, we decided to go with a Feather/Kai SE instead. From what I heard recently, Personna has chosen to continue manufacturing them.

Colonial Razors
As far as I am aware that became Forum Scaremongering because one single plant was shutting down in the USA ..o_O

Billy

The Feather Pro blade is probably as sharp as any blade that has ever been made...Its as sharp as the legendary Personna 74 Tungsten blade that's for sure...That's sayin something...They don't last as long as a Personna 74 but a lot cheaper...I use a cut down Feather blade in a lot of my injectors...My brother reckons a Schick G Type with a Feather Pro blade just blows the Mongoose right out the window...He was Gobsmacked...:D

Billy

A 90mm handle is just about in my wheelhouse too. My JH Spiral is too short at 85mm, and the Mongoose handles are a touch long at 100mm for the same reasons Colonial Razors mentions.

I'm also surprised that with all the new SE razors coming to the market (WaHoo for that btw) that we haven't had one designed for the traditional GEM blades with a spine. I personally don't see these going anywhere anytime soon as they still serve a very large medical laboratory market.

For anyone that is interested though, I have had 3 great shaves so far with a GEM blade in a modern SE razor. Just pull the spine off and slide it in to the OneBlade.

Wazza,

Colonial Razors

Its news to me, hopefully it is not true.
Does this mean you will not carry forward the design of a razor to fit a Gem blade?

The Feather Pro blade is probably as sharp as any blade that has ever been made...Its as sharp as the legendary Personna 74 Tungsten blade that's for sure...That's sayin something...They don't last as long as a Personna 74 but a lot cheaper...I use a cut down Feather blade in a lot of my injectors...My brother reckons a Schick G Type with a Feather Pro blade just blows the Mongoose right out the window...He was Gobsmacked...:D

Billy

I never bothered getting any feather blades in the end as people said that they only get 3 or so shaves out of one. With I Gem I lose count how many shaves I get. Several any ways.
Im not adverse to trying them, just tight ha. Once I have tried the injector blades, I will try a Feather.

I never bothered getting any feather blades in the end as people said that they only get 3 or so shaves out of one. With I Gem I lose count how many shaves I get. Several any ways.
Im not adverse to trying them, just tight ha. Once I have tried the injector blades, I will try a Feather.
Yeah.. Feather Pro blades are Crazy sharp for about 4 Three Pass Shaves for me..They suddenly loose that sharpness that some folks like and then I personally bin them...The are a mediocre blade after that at best I reckon and I don't see the point in that..Some folks like a dull blade apparently and that's fine as well...The Pro blade is too much blade for some folks and that's fine..I like a Very sharp blade. ..End Of..o_O

The Cut Down Feather Pro blade will transform most Schick Injectors because current Injector blades whilst there is nothing wrong with them are well under par compared to the Pro..Some NOS Injector blades were some of the best blades ever made but they can be very expensive and hard to track down...I personally never settle for Second Best...:D

Billy

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, Billy ......... What's your process for getting the Feather blades into your injectors and trimming them? Tin snips? Wire cutters? ...........

I've got a HydroMagic ....... So opening it up a little more than usual might make the process of getting it in there a little safer and easier on the blade ....... I'm curious to try this, now......

Its news to me, hopefully it is not true.
Does this mean you will not carry forward the design of a razor to fit a Gem blade?

Wazza,

We haulted the design of the GEM SE months ago (august) when there was concern Personna would cease operations. We didn't want to spend time designing something that would be useless if the blades were no longer manufactured.

The wet shaving community can expect an affordable GEM-style SE from Colonial Razors at some point in the near future.

Regards,

Kyle @Colonial Razors

Back
Top Bottom