1912 handle issue

Dammit! Tried M5 grubs... No.

10-32 grubs fit spare handles perfectly, but the 1912 head...No.

Now looking for someone to tap out the head for the 10-32 grub to fit.

The search continues - if no luck, there'll be a 1912 on BST soon :mad:

Dammit! Tried M5 grubs... No.

10-32 grubs fit spare handles perfectly, but the 1912 head...No.

Now looking for someone to tap out the head for the 10-32 grub to fit.

The search continues - if no luck, there'll be a 1912 on BST soon :mad:
Hi Leslie,
I got M5 X 8mm grub screws off web , to convert a 1924, only pennies.

This morning read your letter , put a grub screw in spare handle , leaving small show of thread - and screwed it into head of 1912. No glue/ thread cutting required . Time taken once items to hand, 5secs. Finished article in photo.

Damn now I have to use it !

IMG_0360.jpg

This is so frustrating - by all the responses to this thread (thanks all, BTW) you'd have thought that M5 or 10-32 would have worked fine... does with everyone else, but not li'l ol' me +++sad pathetic face+++

I can take a look at the 1912 head for you. Best to tap out the head to accept the M5 x 0.8 thread.

I may just take you up on that if OK by you

This is so frustrating - by all the responses to this thread (thanks all, BTW) you'd have thought that M5 or 10-32 would have worked fine... does with everyone else, but not li'l ol' me +++sad pathetic face+++

As the Boys have said I don't get you're problem neither as I also use the M5 Thread on my 1924 & 1912 without any issues..Once it tightens up its fine..:)

Billy

Are you really sure it is a 1912 ,and not a 1914, which does have a smaller thread ?

Can't find my original thread, but I'm sure I bought it as a Gem 1912 & someone dated it at about 1928 (this is using a 53 year old's memory, BTW so don't shoot me down too bad).

Happily, Paul has taken pity on this poor boy & is to take a look at the head for me & tap out to take a DE handle.

+++mutter mutter mutter never had this problem with a Mach 3 mutter mutter mutter+++ ;)

On reading this, I really wondered what all the fuss was about, surely if the threads of the 1912 and a standard DE razor are the same, it should be easy, It actually took me genuinely under 10 minutes from start to finish to do it - here's how...

Pop into your garage/shed, get your tub of bolts out that you bought in your local £Pound store...

P1010938_1.jpg

Find the one with the correct thread that screws into the DE handle, as well as the 1912 razor head. Then, cut off the head using a hacksaw. If holding in a vice, wrap well in cardboard to protect the thread, it should look like this... It may be necessary to grind of the edge to remove any rough bits.

P1010939_3.jpg

Then you screw one end fully into the DE razor like so...

P1010940_1.jpg

Then, the final stage, screw into the 1912 head until it's firmly seated.

P1010941_1.jpg

The handle belongs to a Muhle R41, which I've replaced with a nice SS one, which I had just lying to hand, but obviously any handle will fit. I think following this tutorial, you'll find that Robert really is your father's brother :) This is obviously going to be my shaver in the morning LOL

On reading this, I really wondered what all the fuss was about, surely if the threads of the 1912 and a standard DE razor are the same, it should be easy, It actually took me genuinely under 10 minutes from start to finish to do it - here's how...

Pop into your garage/shed, get your tub of bolts out that you bought in your local £Pound store...

P1010938_1.jpg

Find the one with the correct thread that screws into the DE handle, as well as the 1912 razor head. Then, cut off the head using a hacksaw. If holding in a vice, wrap well in cardboard to protect the thread, it should look like this... It may be necessary to grind of the edge to remove any rough bits.

P1010939_3.jpg

Then you screw one end fully into the DE razor like so...

P1010940_1.jpg

Then, the final stage, screw into the 1912 head until it's firmly seated.

P1010941_1.jpg

The handle belongs to a Muhle R41, which I've replaced with a nice SS one, which I had just lying to hand, but obviously any handle will fit. I think following this tutorial, you'll find that Robert really is your father's brother :) This is obviously going to be my shaver in the morning LOL
There is No Fuss..Its as simple as You Say..Just Friggin Forums for You..Everything is a Fuss in this Mad Hoose..:eek:

Billy

Gosh, I've had a 1912 for a few years now and it's always offered a great, clean shave, but this morning with a proper handle on it - well, as a petrolhead it's like having a good handling car, then getting a set of coil over suspension fitted! The handling and additional control you have over this razor is truly beneficial. Thank you to the OP for pointing me into a mod I had never even considered!

Absolutely - it should be simple as a simple thing if the threads are the same, but on mine, they're not. The screw on a DE head does not fit into the thread on the Gem, ergo, different thread.

Sorry to cause such a fuss ;)
Aye..There were many small differences in 1912s its hard to pin them all down..Its an ongoing thing..That said there are some Current DE Razors with a different thread size an All..:p

Billy

Aye..There were many small differences in 1912s its hard to pin them all down..Its an ongoing thing..That said there are some Current DE Razors with a different thread size an All..:p

Billy

I'm curious - why would the manufacturer have varied the thread on it's razors? Surely, on a manufacturing production line, the whole point is for uniformity of product, so what would cause them to cut different threads in different razors?

I'm curious - why would the manufacturer have varied the thread on it's razors? Surely, on a manufacturing production line, the whole point is for uniformity of product, so what would cause them to cut different threads in different razors?
I suspect it was due to wear on the Machinery..It would have been cheaper just to replace the Tap size & just carry on when their was wear & tear..Quite Pragmatic..Motorcycle manufactures used to do the same when things wore out..It was common practice in the Old Days..o_O

Billy

Back
Top Bottom