Closed 1914 AND 1924 SE Passaround

Prep: Hot Shower, L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil

Brush: Kent BLK12

Soap: B&M Adagio

Razor: 1914 Ever Ready (GEM)

Post: Alum, Extra Lather, Witch Hazel and L'Occitane Cedrat AS Balm

Fragrance: L'Occitane Cedrat

Wow! What a shave. This thing is an absolute beauty.

In a bit of a rush this morning to get out the front door and was worried I wasn't going to give this razor the due care and attention it needs.

I had a quick shower and lathered up the Barrister & Mann. Sweet and cooling. A perfect choice for a bright spring morning. Usual slickness and cushion you'd expect from any of Wills soaps were both present in abundance.

I loaded the blade with a little difficulty finding alignment but once it was set I was ready to attack the grizzle that had built up over a few days.

I knew this would be different to a DE and sure enough an extremely shallow angle was required. Relatively easy to find with a little bit of room for error. First pass and this thing is cutting through hair like piss through snow. Amazing performance. Not too easy to get under the nose and sideburns squared off but a fantastic first pass nether the less.

As I said before I was in a rush so I skipped XTG and went straight ATG. Wow! This thing is incredible. 10/10 for efficiency and absolutely no razor burn. I'm sold. This is for me.

Zero feedback from the alum and no sting from the witch hazel what so ever. The sweet woody citrus of the Cedrat rounded it off nicely whilst sharing similar notes with the Adagio.

Excellent BBS shave in two passes which is a first for me. Looking forward to trying the 1924.

Last edited:

Soap: B&M Adagio

Razor: 1914 Ever Ready (GEM)

Post: Alum, Extra Lather, Witch Hazel and L'Occitane Cedrat AS Balm

Fragrance: L'Occitane Cedrat

Wow! What a shave. This thing is an absolute beauty.

In a bit of a rush this morning to get out the front door and was worried I wasn't going to give this razor the due care and attention in needs.

I had a quick shower and lathered up the Barrister & Mann. Sweet and cooling. A perfect choice for a bright spring morning. Usual slickness and cushion you'd expect from any of Wills soaps were both present in abundance.

I loaded the blade with a little difficulty finding alignment but once it was set I was ready to attack the grizzle that had built up over a few days.

I knew this would be different to a DE and sure enough an extremely shallow angle was required. Relatively easy to find with a little bit of room for error. First pass and this thing is cutting through hair like piss through snow. Amazing performance. Not too easy to get under the nose and sideburns squared off but a fantastic first pass nether the less.

As I said before I was in a rush so I skipped XTG and went straight ATG. Wow! This thing is incredible. 10/10 for efficiency and absolutely no razor burn. I'm sold. This is for me.

Zero feedback from the alum and no sting from the witch hazel what so ever. The sweet woody citrus of the Cedrat rounded it off nicely whilst sharing similar notes with the Adagio.

Excellent BBS shave in two passes which is a first for me. Looking forward to trying the 1924.
Now you know why you don't see SE Users asking stupid questions about BBS & Stuff...They are all DE Users..:D

Billy

Soap: Mickey Lee Soapworks Paradise Frost

Razor: Ever Ready 1924 (GEM)

Fragrance: L'Occitane Pamplemousse - Rhubarbe

Ok, so I gave my whiskers a chance to get some decent growth since using the 1914 to test out the 1924.

Whipped up a great lather with the fantastic, cool grapefruit of the Paradise Frost and set to work.

I found that even though the handle was a bit longer on this compared to the 1914 it was harder to grip and therefore control and this resulted in a bit of difficulty trying to find the correct blade angle. I'm a big believer that the right handle makes a good razor great. Unfortunately the handle on this seemingly does the opposite which is a shame as I believe the design behind these heads is genius.

I only did a two pass shave with the 1914 so in the interest of fairness I did the same with this. It resulted in a damn fine shave which can't be grumbled at however I was left feeling a little deflated when compared to the euphoric epiphany the 14 provided.

I feel like I'm being a bit harsh here but in reality it's a bit like comparing a handjob to a blowjob. They're both great but the blowjob wins hands down.

Post shave provided no irritation so all in all a job well done. The Pamplemousse - Rhubarbe paired amazingly well with the Paradise frost.

I kind of wish I'd tried them the other way round now to see if I'd notice such a difference. Before passing them on I'll give the 1914 another go which I am thoroughly looking forward to. I think I might end up picking one of these up and sending it to delta echo with a 1912 handle. They have a picture of a 1912 on their site done in black and rhodium (at a guess) and it looks amazing.

If your not fond of the handle an M5 grub screw opens up a lot of DE handle possibilities. ( at least I think it does, never actually tried it )
DSC_0251_zpsbsrbffbe.jpg

That's correct for the 1924..I had a shave with mine just earlier..:D

Billy

Brush: 24mm White Envy in Custom Handle

Soap: Bufflehead Fifth Season

Razor: Ever Ready 1914 (GEM)

Post: Alum, Extra Lather, Witch Hazel, L'Occitane Cade AS Balm

Fragrance: L'Occitane Cade

I think I've fallen in love with this razor. Everyone's cool if I just pass on the 1924 yeah? Obviously I'm joking but seriously, this razor is a beauty.

Loaded up the brush and went to work. Plenty of growth to attack here so a bit more of a challenge for the little lather catcher. The slickness on this soap is dreamy. If you haven't tried it I suggest you do.

First pass. Same as last time. Gliding through hair like a lump of granite on a Scottish ice rink. Effortless. The audio feedback from this thing is phenomenal. It's almost harmonic.

Second pass and the euphoria continues. It sounds like it should be tugging but it's not. Total BBS in two passes once again.

I think the Cade AS balm is the best of the L'Occitane balms. It just seems to leave my skin that little bit softer. The fragrance also matches the Bufflehead really quite well. All in all another bloody good shave.

Back
Top Bottom