Closed 1914 AND 1924 SE Passaround

The 1914 and the OCMM are two razors that have been at the top of my test list. I've been using SEs extensively, almost exclusively, for well over a year.

Aesthetically, the 1914 can be described as 'functional'. The big lower lip and 'lift here' instructions make it one of the ugly stepsisters to the 1924. Sorry to any offended Ever Ready purists! I also find the razor closer in use to the 1912 than the 1924.

Two things struck me in my first two shaves, Firstly, the lather catcher design works well to deal with the excess; clogging is not an issue whether with soap, cream or even shaving foam! Secondly, the distance and positioning of the blade from the handle means that I found longer strokes more comfortable.

Speaking of the handle, I reckon that the length and weight of handle is divisive. With the fashion for large and heavily-knurled handles I reckon that the daintier SE forms put plenty of people off. Fortunately, I'm happy with small and light!

Over the course of time, I used it several times with the same blade (going from sharp to muted). At no time did it draw blood. Yet it has ample cutting power and I was left with good results: there was no irritation and the finish was always smooth everywhere but the chin. It's forgiving, rather than mild, and perfectly efficient.

This is as much the GEM PTFE blade at work as the razor. I've come to respect this blade a lot. The rigidity means no perceptible blade chatter and it mellows with age. Unlike a DE blade, it deteriorates until it can no longer cut through hair effectively rather deteriorating until it cuts you. In many ways, my SE adventure is about finding my preferred razor(s) to present this blade in the way that best works for me.

A few years ago, I would now be scouring eBay for my own. But this week I have no urge to do so. I didn't get the feeling. Part of the issue is that I think my interest in shaving as a hobby is on the wane. I've tested and tweaked many variables, gone full circle on a number of product areas, and come to understand what it is I actually want from a shave (beyond wanton material accumulation). In my ever-dwindling collection of safety razors, I have preferred alternatives.

In brief, the 1914 is a superb and refined tool. It's just not the razor I want to spend the rest of my life with.
Out of interest which SEs have you been using over the last year? Do you have a go to razor?
Cheers, Richard

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Out of interest which SEs have you been using over the last year? Do you have a go to razor?
Cheers, Richard

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
1912, Shovel Head, Clog Pruf, Flying Wing, Contour II. Current SE preference is the 1924, but the MMCP is on its tail.

There have also been injectors, Mongoose etc if you widen the 'SE' definition.

NOTSO comb / Chick (2)

Observations for tonight:
  1. The blade feels beautifully smooth
  2. I really like the form of the handle
  3. The angle still feels rather shallow
  4. I definitely prefer a smaller head.
Apologies for the brevity.

NOTSO comb / Chick (2)

Observations for tonight:
  1. The blade feels beautifully smooth
  2. I really like the form of the handle
  3. The angle still feels rather shallow
  4. I definitely prefer a smaller head.
Apologies for the brevity.
Never mind the brevity. How do I fit a Bunny V3 Notso comb on a 1914 or 1924??? o_O :p:p

I've had a look at both razors with a GEM blade with and without shim and with a Corrux stropping blade. You don't notice this with a 1912, but those razors where certainly not made for modern GEM blades. The cut outs at the sides of the GEMs make it a real pain to seat the blade firmly in the 1914/1924. I'll definitely go for shimming.

1914 or 1924? To shim or not to shim? I'm still undecided.... any opinions?
Personally never felt the need ..........yet. I'm sure billy will be along shortly to espouse the benefits.

Sent from my P6000 Pro using Tapatalk
Its just an Option..I get PMs from all over from Folks that have Reaped the benefit of a Shim..The only thing worth mentioning is the Fact that these Models were Not Designed for a Current Gem Blade & the Geometry is all Wrong..The 1914 seems to benefit more from the Shim than the 1924..:rolleyes:

Moreover, a Stropping Blade Transforms these Razors to what they should shave like..Even with a Shim you are only Touching on anything like the Full Potential of these Older SEs..Current Gem Blades are Simply the Wrong blades for these SEs..:D

Billy

Ever-Ready 1914 - First shave

Hot towel
Boots shaving soap
Omega Hi-Brush 46751
Every-Ready 1914
GEM blade - shimmed
Alum block
Cella Colonia Classica

My first impression when seeing the 1914 (and the 1924) was: OMG! My 1912 is soooo pretty. Not that those two razors are truly ugly, but the 1912 is just in a different league. Also the opening mechanism of the 1912 is pure genius. Obviously the designers of the 1914 thought so as well and felt the need to add ‘Lift here' instructions to the top cap of the head, because opening the head is not as intuitive and elegant as the solution offered by the 1912.
The 1914 was obviously not designed for modern GEM blades (and neither was the 1924). Let's have a closer look:
IMG_0366.JPG

On the left is a Corrux stropping blade, on the right a modern GEM. As you can see the stropping blade slides underneath the little metal hook (at the right hand side) and is securely held in place. The cut outs on the edge of the GEM mean that the blade is barely held by the hooks. The thinner spine of the GEM also means that the blade is not held securely when the head is open and the angle of the blade presented to the skin is off when the head is closed. Shimming with half a GEM spine fixes both issues. I really need to get my stropping blades shave ready when I get some time. As it stands I feel shimming is the only option for me.

Today's shave was my standard 4 pass WTG/XTG/XTG/ATG routine I use with all pass around razors to have a level shaving field. The angle was what I expected with a shimmed blade - pretty much flat on the face. Very intuitive. Audible feedback is strong - buttering toast. I didn't feel the razor was overly aggressive, although the shave was not as smooth as those I get from the 1912. There was only one incident on my right jaw line, but that spot has been troubling me for a week now, so nothing to do with the 1914. The result was a very good BBS shave. Very pleasing, but as I've already said - not as satisfying as a shave with the 1912. Alum block and ASL stung, but not excessively so.
Now here's the thing: the 1912 is transformed into one of the best shaving machines I own by attaching the head to a nice chunky stainless steel handle by means of a grub screw. The thread on the 1914's handle is a lot thinner, so I'd need a different grub screw, which I don't have. Pity.
So the first impressions are that the 1914 is a very capable razor. Tomorrow I'll give the 1924 a spin.
TBC...

I've had a look at both razors with a GEM blade with and without shim and with a Corrux stropping blade. You don't notice this with a 1912, but those razors where certainly not made for modern GEM blades. The cut outs at the sides of the GEMs make it a real pain to seat the blade firmly in the 1914/1924. I'll definitely go for shimming.
Andreas,
A good move ,that is what I do.
Mike B

Back
Top Bottom