1st SE Razor ?

JohnnyO said:
Never forget Ian, Merton's most important advice in any post is that he does not always mean what he tripewrites !

JohnnyO. :angel:

Yeah I noticed that on his sig JohnnyO but then again he has made me have a rethink and I will be doing a bit more research on SE razors before I come to any conclusion on purchasing one.

Well i'm still alive, i was a bit rushed but managed a 2 pass, wtg and atg, apart from rushing the 2nd pass and getting a few weepers it gave a rather good shave, although the 2nd pass should really have been another wtg but i'm bloody minded and have to learn the hard way, but i will definately continue to use it.

ayb Paul

chappers said:
Well i'm still alive, i was a bit rushed but managed a 2 pass, wtg and atg, apart from rushing the 2nd pass and getting a few weepers it gave a rather good shave, although the 2nd pass should really have been another wtg but i'm bloody minded and have to learn the hard way, but i will definately continue to use it.

ayb Paul

Thank you Paul your info is most welcome.

JohnnyO said:
Never forget Ian, Merton's most important advice in any post is that he does not always mean what he tripewrites !

JohnnyO. :angel:

Exactly right! Nice of you to help with any possible confusion which might easily happen.

Lots of times I will mix facts and fiction and it can be tough to know what's true and what's crap. Lots of times the whole post is bogus. Main thing is to say it with straight face, which is how the words are looked at while reading.

Merkin

I used my first SE razor, Gem Junior, this morning.

Acquire140826-2_zpsc07df6f5.jpg

The thing is so tiny I thought it was a toy. Popped in a Gem SE blade from Connaught and took it out for my first outing. I was cautious at first, no knowing how to use the thing but became almost instantly second nature. I reckon having shaved with a DE razor for a couple of years gives you skills straight off the bat.

I found the angle was very easy to get and moving off the angle didn't cause any grief either. It felt very safe to use. The end result was a very close shave. Almost up to my ATT R1 standard. With a little practice I think I could improve too.

The tricky part was that the razor is so light it's difficult to know how much pressure to use. I did the DE thing of applying as little pressure as possible and that seemed to work fine.

So overall I'm really impressed. I don't yet know how many shaves I'll get out of a blade; I'm assuming about 4. Blades are more expensive too but in bulk it's not going to break the bank. Should you remove the blade and dry it between shaves? I can't see much happening to the blade if left in for 4 days. I did take it out this morning though just to be on the safe side.

Now I'm thinking if this tiny thing can give such a nice shave should I be trying other SE razors? (of course). The 1912 seems to get a good few recommendations but I also like the look of the Lather Catchers.

Back
Top Bottom