2 dozen blade rule

perusing a hypocritical forum, I found a nice pretty little comment.

A person was angry at people, especially people new to shaving publishing, or commenting on blade quality and if a blade was bad for them, after a small number of shaves. And this person came up with a simple, basic rule for folks posting a blade review...
or their feelings on a particular blade,,

even though the guy admits passing judgement on blades based on a single shave.... he feels anyone who does not use 2 dozen blades of any given brand till destruction, has not given any blade proper trial, or chance, to show if its good or bad.

SO that for me, makes me ask is the general average shaver, dumb enough that they need to use 2 dozen blades for 3 or 4 shaves each, in order to tell if its good or bad?

So if a person tried a feather for the first time, and they shredded half their face off, have they given feather blades a proper chance, or must they use 2 dozen blades before they are allowed to say good or bad?

A person was angry at people, especially people new to shaving publishing, or commenting on blade quality and if a blade was bad for them, after a small number of shaves. And this person came up with a simple, basic rule for folks posting a blade review...

even though the guy admits passing judgement on blades based on a single shave.... he feels anyone who does not use 2 dozen blades of any given brand till destruction, has not given any blade proper trial, or chance, to show if its good or bad.

Strange this sounds exactly like you when you bang on about razors that can't possibly shave as good as your techs or superspeeds you own even though you have never tried them, how odd is that...

SO that for me, makes me ask is the general average shaver, dumb enough that they need to use 2 dozen blades for 3 or 4 shaves each, in order to tell if its good or bad?

So if a person tried a feather for the first time, and they shredded half their face off, have they given feather blades a proper chance, or must they use 2 dozen blades before they are allowed to say good or bad?
I totally agree. Two dozen blades sounds about right. Of course you have to use those blades in a least a dozen or two razors. That's for the "average shaver" mind you.

As an "experienced shaver" I can tell if a blade won't work for me after a use or two. Of course, I don't expect others to have the same degree of sensitivity that I do. After all, if a blade gives them razor burn twice in a row, they ought to use the same blades for the next twenty-two shaves just in case it's a technique error.

I know that's what gotten me stymied. I know enough to tell if a blade is bad for my skin, like derbies,,, horrid irritation, a massive amount of ingrown hairs after just 3 shaves,,,,, yet should I go through another 21 shaves or blades to prove them bad?

{Mod edit - Rudeness removed.}

Now where was I, hmmm ok. The traditional forum rule of use one blade for the first few months of using a real razor can be seen as good. "keep the variants to a minimum" but...

for those with sensitive skin and heavy hair..... sure it might be good if the blade works, but if the blade creates at least 1 in grown hair per shave... youlll simply get sucked into buying every damned miracle soap, miracle pre shave lotion, and miracle after shave lotion in an attempt to stop the ingrowns.. even though it can be a mere matter of swapping out the derby extra and spending an extra 1$ per hundred for say, Wilkinson gillettes.

Last edited by a moderator:
{Mod edit - Rudeness removed.}

Now where was I, hmmm ok. The traditional forum rule of use one blade for the first few months of using a real razor can be seen as good. "keep the variants to a minimum" but...

for those with sensitive skin and heavy hair..... sure it might be good if the blade works, but if the blade creates at least 1 in grown hair per shave... youlll simply get sucked into buying every damned miracle soap, miracle pre shave lotion, and miracle after shave lotion in an attempt to stop the ingrowns.. even though it can be a mere matter of swapping out the derby extra and spending an extra 1$ per hundred for say, Wilkinson gillettes.
Which is why I have always advocated an alternative 30 day rule for new wet shavers.

I posted the following back in 2012:
"GDCarrington advises all new wetshavers to stick with one setup for 30 days.
1 razor
1 brand of blade
1 brush
1 type of soap or cream
1 aftershave
At the end of that time, you change one thing and repeat the process. "Does this actually work?" You wonder. The answer to that is a shrug and "YMMV." Within a week, even new shavers can tell whether a blade is going to work for them or not. Within a few hours to a few days new shavers can tell if they are allergic to something in the soap or cream. The only addition I would make to the above advice is to have two of everything but the brush and razor (and maybe them as well). Not two of the same thing of course, but two different blade brands, two different brands of soap or creams, etc. Only because of the possibility of allergies or blade intolerance. So why the month restriction? It gives you time to learn technique before changing up stuff."

I agree it's silly to have to try blades that aren't working for so long. It's also silly to pretend that there are great difference between most blades and you just have to try them all.

Just toss out Feather and Derby and the differences dwindle rapidly. :)

As a newbie... this makes interesting reading.

Being a newb I bought 100 Astra blades, which I plan on using.

My friend also gave me a selection of blades to try.

I will try and keep things standard for a month to see where I am at but the temptation to try out different soaps every time is strong xD

I will try and keep things standard for a month to see where I am at but the temptation to try out different soaps every time is strong xD
the temptation to try out lots of soaps is fine, a lot of soaps are paraded around as being the miracle cure for everything, but most in fact are um..... about as lame as a president in their last week of office.

the urge to keep things the same for every shave is good, and one of the better things a person can do. But no two shaves will be the same, regardless of how close you are each time, they will not be the same.

I'd say go for it! :) It's just shaving. Changing soap, if it's fun for you, isn't going to mess up your learning curve. I'd say just don't use the sharpest blade around, Feather, while you are trying to learn to shave.

Other than that, just go for it and have fun with whatever blades and soaps you have.

As a newbie, you should read this thread with a bit of cynicism. Some of the replies were in the nature of banter and wittisms and should not be taken too seriously, including my first reply in this thread. Bezoar has a tendency to start threads that are, well, click-bait, and this one is no exception.

Astra Superior Platinums are good blades and the vast majority of people get along fine with them, which is something of a rarity when it comes to shaving products. I'm sure you'll have no issues.

As a newbie, you should read this thread with a bit of cynicism. Some of the replies were in the nature of banter and wittisms and should not be taken too seriously, including my first reply in this thread. Bezoar has a tendency to start threads that are, well, click-bait, and this one is no exception.

Astra Superior Platinums are good blades and the vast majority of people get along fine with them, which is something of a rarity when it comes to shaving products. I'm sure you'll have no issues.

Well said!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom