Above The Tie Slants

Someone else, probably with a thick, coarse, fast growing beard, will say they slice through the stubble better than a non slant. Especially if they only shave once or twice a week. I bought the ATT S2 and borrowed the Merkur 37C and enjoyed the Merkur very much and wouldn't part with my S2...but in truth I don't see the perceived advantages myself especially as I shave daily. With the benefit of hindsight I, personally, really don't need six razors. I used my Muhle R89 today with a Voskhod and Nanny's Silly soap and got a great close shave with not the merest hint of a nick. I don't regret getting the razors (or the dozen different soaps) but in reality I could easily get away with one razor and one soap and Nivea balm and an Alum block....and Bob's your father's brother. That one razor would probably be the Merkur Progress. But I'm keeping all the others... :)

Re: RE: Above The Tie Slants

DevonStan said:
Someone else, probably with a thick, coarse, fast growing beard, will say they slice through the stubble better than a non slant. Especially if they only shave once or twice a week.

I have a thick beard with sensitive skin. Slants cut through my beard more effectively and smoothly. Plain and simple. Regular DEs feel more 'rigid' and aggressive to me. Don't know why but it's just the way it is. Weapon of choice is a 39c but am looking at which ATT handle with an ATT S1 head will give me similar weight and dimensions to the merkur

I tried the iKon 102 and although smooth, it was just too heavy. My hand ached during the end of the shave. It has a lot going for it, but it's main purpose (slicing through my whiskers) was a bit of a let down.

I'm hoping the ATT fairs much much better because 150 quid is a lot. I'm also hoping it is not mild like the ikon 102.

Yes it's a ridiculous amount in the cold light of day. As I mentioned, FOR ME it wasn't actually worth it. But, like the Weber and the R41 I got them in order to 'get it out my system'. And I'll keep them.

I paid £155 les 10% plus £3.00 P and P from ES. As i've mentioned - nice people to deal with.

rolatruck said:
"really don't need six razors."

Is that all Stan you lightweight. You have a long way yet to go :)

Yes, I do realise some of you fellas do make me look like a proper novice (which is what I am, remember).

But, hey ho. I probably haven't spent any more that it would have cost me to have a new clutch put in a car (which is unlikely in my case as I drive automatics)

DevonStan said:
With the benefit of hindsight I, personally, really don't need six razors. I used my Muhle R89 today with a Voskhod and Nanny's Silly soap and got a great close shave with not the merest hint of a nick. I don't regret getting the razors (or the dozen different soaps) but in reality I could easily get away with one razor and one soap and Nivea balm and an Alum block....and Bob's your father's brother. That one razor would probably be the Merkur Progress. But I'm keeping all the others... :)

Hi Stan,

I agree with you about not needing 6 razors, once you've found your 1-2 favorites.
The other remaining ones helped served the purpose by comparison. You can't get that kinda experience in a book or movie.

You're lucky to have found what fits so quickly....or what fits best so far. I am a big proponent of trying lots of razors. Took me 5 years to stumble across one magical piece in particular, but now I have that knowledge and razor forever.

Martin

Can anyone offer first hand experience on the S1 compared to the Merkur 39c or to the ikon 102 in terms of cutting efficiency only please?

As the 39c/37c and ikon 102 are all I have for comparison.

The very few comparisons I have found, for e.g. like this thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/comments/2wok7k/sotd_my_2nd_shave_with_the_att_s1_and_living/

says the 102 and S1 are v. similar (see 3rd post), in which case the S1 is going to be way too mild for me.

Thanks for your input.

dodgy said:
Took me 5 years to stumble across one magical piece in particular,

Martin

NotTheStig said:
Would this be the Webly combo or the executive or the Fatboy or the F type injector? :) not to mention the 58...

Hey what'sa doin NTS, (practicing my Italian accent),

It was the Stahly revelation I was thinking about that took so long to find. Heh, this last perfect razor ( F type) wasn't found for another year after that . Bought at a flea market with zero expectations. Both magical and both used like crazy.

Martin

sj184 said:
Can anyone offer first hand experience on the S1 compared to the Merkur 39c or to the ikon 102 in terms of cutting efficiency only please?

As the 39c/37c and ikon 102 are all I have for comparison.

The very few comparisons I have found, for e.g. like this thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/comments/2wok7k/sotd_my_2nd_shave_with_the_att_s1_and_living/

says the 102 and S1 are v. similar (see 3rd post), in which case the S1 is going to be way too mild for me.

Thanks for your input.

I can compare it only with Merkur 1904 closed comb. After 2 shaves i can say it doesn't cut more efficient (it's about the same), but it's much smoother... But that's after only 2 shaves, maybe after a few more it will be more efficient Big Grin

Hi. Just thought i'd throw this out there before pulling the trigger on a S1/S2 combo + Handle from the USA.

I know chances are slim but if anyone can lend me their ATT slant for a day or two, I would appreciate it. I will use signed-for p+p and I can throw in a tub of Castle Forbes cream as a thank you. Cheers!

Hello sonny.

I saw your post and sympathise. I think, maybe, that with just one of these fellas costing £150 it's thought to be a bit too expensive to take the (admittedly very small) risk that it goes adrift in the post. I checked the Royal Mail Pricefinder....and I could easily be wrong --I often am -- but I looked hard and found that to get compensation cover that'll cover £150 you have to go up to £500's worth of cover. And on top of that the weight exceeds 100 grams (I checked) so that puts it in to a higher band too. Hence to cover the weight and to get enough compensation cover you're looking at "UK Guaranteed - Special Delivery - up to 500g weight with compensation for loss or damage up to £500"....and that costs £7.15 each way.

£14.30p is a lot. I can't see where you are, but am guessing it's mainland UK...goodness knows what it'll be to go elsewhere? But to cover the possible loss of £150 worth of kit that seems to be what it is.

No problem. I can send the amount to the sender. The way I see it, £15 spent to try out a razor is worth it if it isn't the right one for me. I have never had an items of post go missing, but if the worst should happen, i'd happily replace the item.

I know Stan at ATT and Brian at Exec Shaving offer money back if not satisfied, but I prefer to buy and not return if I can.

sonny said:
Going to place order for Kronos Handle + S1 later tonight. Hope it's a good decision!

Good luck with your new razor! Kronos is a fantastic handle.
I'm still deliberating whether to go with the S1 or S2...

Back
Top Bottom