Acquisitions 1st Mar - 31st Mar 2016

#58, the German variant with II on the back, for £23 :)

Found it on the Italian eBay site as a Buy It Now. Crap photos and plenty of crud, but no obvious trace of brassing or copper oxide. Seller also didn't take PayPal or speak English, so Google Translate and Western Union came to the rescue.

A 6 hour soak in hot soapy water, followed by Mr Muscle bathroom spray and Peek polish resulted in me being very happy tonight. Mechanics are perfect and I would rate the finish as being near mint. No brassing at all and just light superficial usage marks.

The case is missing its insert (these have a habit of falling apart I believe), but I will put in some red velvet over foam to make it at least presentable. The NOS English made Wilkies and Gillette blades make up for it though

e6defa4b7a6203e08f64711f70aa74bf.jpg

dd341ed50dc9334af450a75d1bf980c7.jpg

73673e43fbee1b7d1a81f10a1459f034.jpg

761e96014f19a88a67cd2404acaa8af0.jpg

ab084f1a7a74cd3d5138c48356e6580a.jpg

And a little something to use with it...

36fd911200c37777000baf480afa268f.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1457041852341.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1457041852341.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
#58, the German variant with II on the back, for £23 :)

Found it on the Italian eBay site as a Buy It Now. Crap photos and plenty of crud, but no obvious trace of brassing or copper oxide. Seller also didn't take PayPal or speak English, so Google Translate and Western Union came to the rescue.

A 6 hour soak in hot soapy water, followed by Mr Muscle bathroom spray and Peek polish resulted in me being very happy tonight. Mechanics are perfect and I would rate the finish as being near mint. No brassing at all and just light superficial usage marks.

The case is missing its insert (these have a habit of falling apart I believe), but I will put in some red velvet over foam to make it at least presentable. The NOS English made Wilkies and Gillette blades make up for it though

e6defa4b7a6203e08f64711f70aa74bf.jpg

dd341ed50dc9334af450a75d1bf980c7.jpg

73673e43fbee1b7d1a81f10a1459f034.jpg

761e96014f19a88a67cd2404acaa8af0.jpg

ab084f1a7a74cd3d5138c48356e6580a.jpg

And a little something to use with it...

36fd911200c37777000baf480afa268f.jpg

I may have the metal insert for that case, it will still need recovering in velvet. If you want it you can have it........ :)

My BSB-2 arrived today, I ordered a 2-Band but I think I received a Silvertip version instead which is fine seeing as a like both Vie-Long hair grades, anyway the tips are super soft and I look forward to using it.

My pictures don't do the brush any justice as it looks even better in person. Another great creation from Juan.

88jxAZUl.jpg

My BSB-2 arrived today, I ordered a 2-Band but I think I received a Silvertip version instead which is fine seeing as a like both Vie-Long hair grades, anyway the tips are super soft and I look forward to using it.

My pictures don't do the brush any justice as it looks even better in person. Another great creation from Juan.

88jxAZUl.jpg

Glad you lik ethe brush, my friend. No mistake here. It is two bands badger.

Friends, please take note of the two or three bands visual issue.
Here I share my thoughts about it.
In a bulb shaped knot, the outer hairs are shorter. Then, visually, the brush is more prone to two bands, because the third band is hidden on the handle.
But in a fan knot, the same hair, visually can show three bands, because the outer hairs are longer, and the third band is out the handle.
This is the reason why some knots, especially the fan shaped are visually almost three bands. This, plus the softest tips like these ones, could confuse someone. Even to me. I have learnt a lot about brushes in last years, and now about the process of making them.

Hope it helps. It is my oppinion, but I can be wrong.

Glad you lik ethe brush, my friend. No mistake here. It is two bands badger.

Friends, please take note of the two or three bands visual issue.
Here I share my thoughts about it.
In a bulb shaped knot, the outer hairs are shorter. Then, visually, the brush is more prone to two bands, because the third band is hidden on the handle.
But in a fan knot, the same hair, visually can show three bands, because the outer hairs are longer, and the third band is out the handle.
This is the reason why some knots, especially the fan shaped are visually almost three bands. This, plus the softest tips like these ones, could confuse someone. Even to me. I have learnt a lot about brushes in last years, and now about the process of making them.

Hope it helps. It is my oppinion, but I can be wrong.

Thank you for the detailed explanation Juan, no complaints here I still love the brush.

88jxAZUl.jpg

I like that - A LOT!

They arrived today. I opened the package, my jaw hit the floor. My jaw is still on the floor. These things are gorgeous. Old, well worn, but gorgeous. :eek:

I grabbed some firewood and took a few quick pictures before the light faded. The razors are exactly as sent and haven't been cleaned be me at all.

kam1.jpg

kam2.jpg

kamback1.jpg

kamback2.jpg

kamend1.jpg

kamend2.jpg
I was looking at some very similar blades not long ago - with considerable wear on the Omote side - and the owner had used a wine cork and wet and dry paper to recreate a hollow grind and re-establish the spine. His razors had a softer iron on that side so doing this was relatively easy. The finished pictures were superb and make the razor easier to hone.

The travel brush I got for my birthday (aluminium 3 pice tube is behind it), the OS Lime is all that way from India and smells very nice, while the Wickhams is something of a tester - a review of which, I will save and post on tomorrow. The shirt is new too:D

Here's a close up of the brush, post shave. For those who may look at the knot to loft ratio and think - floppy, you won't be alone because I presumed this when I unwrapped it. On the contrary however, it has plenty of back bone and loves Tabac Soap.

The travel brush I got for my birthday (aluminium 3 pice tube is behind it), the OS Lime is all that way from India and smells very nice, while the Wickhams is something of a tester - a review of which, I will save and post on tomorrow. The shirt is new too:D

Here's a close up of the brush, post shave. For those who may look at the knot to loft ratio and think - floppy, you won't be alone because I presumed this when I unwrapped it. On the contrary however, it has plenty of back bone and loves Tabac Soap.
Nice Brush..You Do Like Tallow then..:D:D:D:D:D:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom