Acquisitions, 1st October to 31st October 2015

Another thing my overworked mailman dropped off this week was an old EverReady lathercatcher.
Thanks to @Fergiebilly who helped determine that it's either a 1908 or 1911/1912.
I think it will clean up really nicely. The wooden handle is in near perfection condition and the head appears to be just dirty.
I guess I'll know for sure after it's cleaned up if it was worth the $30 bill or not...

o0p537.jpg

What surprised me a bit was how small/short the handle is on this model.
Even though it's pretty tiny it's easy to hold on to and feels pretty good (and, yes, "that's what she said").
289haf5.jpg

Here it is next to a Gillette Slim for some further sense of scale:
24muzuw.jpg

I know that these razors came in at least two models - the short one I have now and also a long-handled version:
4373274609_55b1cb7fb7.jpg

Photo off the internet

The last two are Gems ... these are dramatically different to the Ever Ready of the era. The body of the Ever Ready is somewhat lighter, thinner than the Gem. Gems also had a bar which sits over the blade rather than just a pair of guides. The Gem is a significantly better razor - the Ever Ready feels cheap by comparison.

Enjoy it, though ... it's still a very classy razor.

The long handles are very nice indeed, but they were from the Gem camp ... look for a Gem Junior Elite ... or a Zinn Gem. Tomorrow's shave will be a Zinn Gem.

DSC08603.JPG

The last two are Gems ... these are dramatically different to the Ever Ready of the era. The body of the Ever Ready is somewhat lighter, thinner than the Gem. Gems also had a bar which sits over the blade rather than just a pair of guides. The Gem is a significantly better razor - the Ever Ready feels cheap by comparison.

Enjoy it, though ... it's still a very classy razor.

The long handles are very nice indeed, but they were from the Gem camp ... look for a Gem Junior Elite ... or a Zinn Gem. Tomorrow's shave will be a Zinn Gem.

DSC08603.JPG

That is one beautiful razor. A Gem in more than one way.
Do you shim the blade in any way?

A quite snazzy Henckels DE Travel razor - with mirror and 5 original Zwillingwerks blades. Its a conventional safety bar four piece travel razor but the set is in pristine condition - I may use the head (these are strong cutting razors - on the aggressive side but very efficient) on a longer heavier handle in rotation.

Ratty

View attachment 14998 View attachment 14999 View attachment 15000 View attachment 15001 View attachment 15002
i have one of those heads, its a bit of an animal! in my top 3 for sure =)
good catch !

It was a very cartridge-themed week....

Received all these this week and I must admit I am super excited to go through them all! :)

2i0g1z6.jpg

Left to right: Atra, Atra Elite, unknown, Atra DeLuxe, Evelyn and Crabtree, Truefitt & Hill
All razors are in very nice condition - one or two needs a cleaning - and the total cost was approx $70 for them all
It's not often you receive a bunch of razors and every one of them lives up to the description and photos :)
For die-hard cartridge handle-lovers here are all the handles one by one:

1) Gillette Atra (Plus?). Fit: Atra
28bbaqo.jpg

2) Gillette Atra Elite. Fit: Atra
1zobxw1.jpg

3) Unknown. Fit: Trac II?
No name on front:
14aydr6.jpg

..or back:
21jn05f.jpg

4) Atra DeLuxe. Fit: Atra
Great feeling handle and this guy has some serious weight to him as well. Instant favorite.
2mbp5x.jpg

I dub it the "Darwin" of cartridge handles. Ok come on.....humour me.....
(Darwin DE razor):
DarwinS1.jpg

5) Evelyn and Crabtree. Fit: Mach 3
2znuww2.jpg

6) Truefitt & Hill. Fit: Mach 3
35ar5on.jpg

...and...a pack of cartridges :D
2r5qfmh.jpg

@nick_s
Ah, thanks for the help with the dating of them. 1960's does maybe make more sense seeing how crisp and bright the colours still are.
I really do like the design and size. Still not so sure about the picture but hey, it was free so I can put up with that :)
Have you ever been to their factory and do you know if that's the same one that was used back in 1810?
I've not been inside the one these would have been made in but have been to the site (which was an old factory in Burslem, Stoke on Trent). It closed in 2010 when everything production was moved to their current location in Etruria, Stoke on Trent.

The whole region of Stoke on Trent is awash with the pottery industry (as you may already know), with the likes of Wedgewood, Portmerion, Claris Cliffe and others setting up shop. It's a shame that the vast majority of the industry has shifted to the Far East, but there is much history to be seen of the industry :)

I've not been inside the one these would have been made in but have been to the site (which was an old factory in Burslem, Stoke on Trent). It closed in 2010 when everything production was moved to their current location in Etruria, Stoke on Trent.

The whole region of Stoke on Trent is awash with the pottery industry (as you may already know), with the likes of Wedgewood, Portmerion, Claris Cliffe and others setting up shop. It's a shame that the vast majority of the industry has shifted to the Far East, but there is much history to be seen of the industry :)
Hey Nick,
You forgot the Oatcakes.
Mike

Hiya,

Don't wanna jinx myself but it looks like I may have scored a few tubs of the older Xpec original SC version from a place in Italy. See what happens when it gets sent out next week.

Martin

My dad's just back from visiting my brother in Spain, so he's brought a few things from there. Then there are a few things bought locally and lastly a Chinese copy of a Merkur Futur, which seems to be OK.

I've no idea whether this photo will work, I keep getting Internal Server Error when I try to add an Image.

Attachments

• OctoberHaul.jpg
    OctoberHaul.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom