Acquisitions - December 2022

Sir Henry's soap is criminally underrated!! I have his Sandalwood and it's a winner. Smells very much like the sandalwood soap made by the now defunct Cold River Soap Works. I had a Black Velvet sample as well and it smells/works great. (y)

I ordered a Karve Overlander direct from Canada weeks ago... Been eagerly watching the tracker for days as I want to take it away with me for 10 days over Christmas, and I leave this afternoon (Friday).

I arranged with DHL specifically to leave it in my safe place (shed) as I knew I'd be at work, so instead they've gone and knocked my neighbour's door a few houses down and left with him yesterday (Thursday) Only problem is he is renovating his house and is rarely in, other than weekends :ROFLMAO: so my lovely Christmas present to myself is now locked up in the house 20 meters away, quite possibly unattainable until I get home after the holidays! Cheers DHL!

That's flipping annoying! Delivery is such a lottery these days. The only 'good' thing is it tempers my desire to order stuff. But if you have to, or want something enough, you're left on tenterhooks. Hope you get it soon and it's worth the hassle (which it will be, hassle-dependent).

It's frustrating, but definitely a first world problem and I'm being a bit of an adult baby really :ROFLMAO: I'm sure I'll survive Christmas with my three other "expensive" razors and a plethora of new blades to test...

Sir Henry's soap is criminally underrated!! I have his Sandalwood and it's a winner. Smells very much like the sandalwood soap made by the now defunct Cold River Soap Works. I had a Black Velvet sample as well and it smells/works great. (y)
Used it this morning and it worked great as all Sir Henry's do. The scent was light to me but there and nice. Could be stronger but that's probably just me as I'm waiting on having septoplasty surgery in March (y)

Last edited:
Yeah definitely a sweet choice man, I would as well if I was buying another straight. Enjoy it. I had no issues getting to learn to use a straight, the only real nicks I have had were from my square point Koraat which requires constant awareness of where the toe is. I've managed to maintain my edges reasonably on balsa with diamond paste and leather strops. I'm trying to learn to hone (have not had much time to devote to it though). I may have to seek assistance with getting them redone, or getting lessons preferably. Shaving is the easy bit

Yeah definitely a sweet choice man, I would as well if I was buying another straight. Enjoy it. I had no issues getting to learn to use a straight, the only real nicks I have had were from my square point Koraat which requires constant awareness of where the toe is. I've managed to maintain my edges reasonably on balsa with diamond paste and leather strops. I'm trying to learn to hone (have not had much time to devote to it though). I may have to seek assistance with getting them redone, or getting lessons preferably. Shaving is the easy bit
Thank you sir!
Strop is ordered and should arrive on the 28th, razor on the 30th. More than likely will send it to a professional for the first year or two. I am interested in learning to hone at a later date, let me know how it goes for you!

What I would say is that you have to be sure it really is a good edge before you start. Many razors sold as shave ready aren't quite. When you first start you don't really know if it's you or the edge that's making it difficult. I started with a "RSO" (razor shaped object) and massacred myself. Thought it was n00b error until I bought a razor from someone I knew put a good edge on. With that one I had no trouble learning. If the edge is a good one it'll be smooth and you might wonder if it's doing anything until you see your stubble in the lather. Different to DE, it takes it down like 1/3 per pass, compared to DE which gets 70% off on the WTG and the rest is polish. So be prepared for 3 passes and watch yourself on ATG. Getting your grip sorted and the angle right is enough for the first couple of goes. Spine about one or 2 spine widths from your skin. Long strokes, as the time you usually cut yourself is when it touches down and you're not fully concentrating. More strokes increases the chance of a nick. No pressure just wipe the lather off and watch out for any lumps and bumps you might have. The most important thing is to make 100% sure the blade is moving like a push cutter. Allow it to move in a sideways slicing direction and it will not be pretty! Hey I'm no expert I still catch myself with mine due to angles, pressure or forgetting the toe on my square point. But if I can save you making the mistakes I do, all the better. I am definitely going to need someone to show me 1:1 how to hone. My attempts so far have been, not counterproductive, but let's say ineffective.

Last edited:
What I would say is that you have to be sure it really is a good edge before you start. Many razors sold as shave ready aren't quite. When you first start you don't really know if it's you or the edge that's making it difficult. I started with a "RSO" (razor shaped object) and massacred myself. Thought it was n00b error until I bought a razor from someone I knew put a good edge on. With that one I had no trouble learning. If the edge is a good one it'll be smooth and you might wonder if it's doing anything until you see your stubble in the lather. Different to DE, it takes it down like 1/3 per pass, compared to DE which gets 70% off on the WTG and the rest is polish. So be prepared for 3 passes and watch yourself on ATG. Getting your grip sorted and the angle right is enough for the first couple of goes. Spine about one or 2 spine widths from your skin. Long strokes, as the time you usually cut yourself is when it touches down and you're not fully concentrating. More strokes increases the chance of a nick. No pressure just wipe the lather off and watch out for any lumps and bumps you might have. The most important thing is to make 100% sure the blade is moving like a push cutter. Allow it to move in a sideways slicing direction and it will not be pretty! Hey I'm no expert I still catch myself with mine due to angles, pressure or forgetting the toe on my square point. But if I can save you making the mistakes I do, all the better. I am definitely going to need someone to show me 1:1 how to hone. My attempts so far have been, not counterproductive, but let's say ineffective.
At your service sir!
Many thanks for the advice, not much coverage of the subject on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom