Acquisitions June 2023

So this is almost a dupe of my Straight razor SotD post but I think it's fair to add it here as it turned up today and I just shaved with my latest antique razor from John June.
13/16” quarter hollow square toe Joseph Allen, all original right down to the lead wedge.

It’s probably 1850s, the lead wedge pre dates 1890, the grind pre dates 1870, JJ thinks it's 1850-1860.

It’s hand forged Sheffield steel from the best era for Sheffield steel.

He's done a lovely job of cleaning and honing it. Because all my straights are extra hollow and from either 1940s or new, I wanted to add something a bit special and completely different to the collection. Something from British history, some real Sheffield steel.
20230627_150603.jpg20230627_150425.jpg
Heavy grind.

Last edited:
It should produce a better and easier result than toothpaste (and I've used that many times before). The chemical reaction is almost like a mild replating in terms of how it looks.

I washed/scrubbed the razor a few times and was largely successful but there was still a fair amount of green gunk/brass tarnish left.

I will give your baking soda method a go tomorrow!

We need an update!

Sorry! I've given it a few scrubs. First time with normal toothpaste, second time with baking soda toothpaste. Some of the grime is a bit looser and I've been to scrape some of it with an old plastic pen lid (so it won't scratch it).

Not the best pictures but it is looking a bit more presentable than when I first took it out off the box!

IMG_20230701_133355.jpg

IMG_20230701_133250.jpg

Sorry! I've given it a few scrubs. First time with normal toothpaste, second time with baking soda toothpaste. Some of the grime is a bit looser and I've been to scrape some of it with an old plastic pen lid (so it won't scratch it).

Not the best pictures but it is looking a bit more presentable than when I first took it out off the box!

View attachment 108187

View attachment 108188
Ketchup will amaze you! No joke, put ketchup on it.

Ketchup will amaze you! No joke, put ketchup on it.

None of it in the household (yeah I know I am a monster)! I managed to get it clean enough by using baking soda toothpaste.

Here they are at the end of the scrubbing. The round pin was in great condition when delivered, but the Goodwill took a lot of work to get it here. I'm amazed that even after many years of use, a few bent teeth it will still be in great condition for it's intended purpose. They don't make them like they used to.

IMG_20230701_164454.jpg

IMG_20230701_164420.jpg

Back
Top Bottom