Acquisitions - September 2022

Any tips on cleaning and polishing the ferrule ?

Be careful, soap and water first, then a wet rag with toothpaste, it usually doesn't take much. Don't use a Dremel, it will melt quickly and easily. The ferrule may or may not unscrew, don't put it in hot water, just a firm twist with your hands. If it won't budge and you still want it off, take the knot out and slip in the largest hole saw that will fit inside the ferrule (without the pilot) and cut it out. After you finish the handle glue a plastic ring on there to take the place of the wood that you cut out, use a section of a small medicine bottle or something similar, then glue the ferrule back on.

Be careful, soap and water first, then a wet rag with toothpaste, it usually doesn't take much. Don't use a Dremel, it will melt quickly and easily. The ferrule may or may not unscrew, don't put it in hot water, just a firm twist with your hands. If it won't budge and you still want it off, take the knot out and slip in the largest hole saw that will fit inside the ferrule (without the pilot) and cut it out. After you finish the handle glue a plastic ring on there to take the place of the wood that you cut out, use a section of a small medicine bottle or something similar, then glue the ferrule back on.
GREAT tips Toby and appreciated. It feels firm and I think I will leave the ferrule connected and dremel out the knot. I'll just tape off each half while working on the other side ferrule/wood. Thanks again !

GREAT tips Toby and appreciated. It feels firm and I think I will leave the ferrule connected and dremel out the knot. I'll just tape off each half while working on the other side ferrule/wood. Thanks again !

That'll work too, avoid stripper on the ferrule if you use that, I just use sandpaper, Scotch-Brite, and #0000 steel wool.

...Does anyone know if the original English Leather was strong or whether it was subtle?...

View attachment 93767View attachment 93768View attachment 93769

First and last .......

My first C&H brush ( V16 )

And my last vintage Gillette DE blade haul ..................... :unsure: er .... probably !

I have some of those 1970's Blue Blades in the blue box and have never used a better blade!! The secret was that they were made after Gillette started using PTFE coating on their carbon blades and you got the best of both worlds!!

I have some of those 1970's Blue Blades in the blue box and have never used a better blade!! The secret was that they were made after Gillette started using PTFE coating on their carbon blades and you got the best of both worlds!!

When I saw these Blue Blades I remembered you’re positive comments on a thread some time ago Mr B and it prompted me to pick them up so consider yourself the enabler for these. ;) I’m looking forward to trying them out when SEptember is over and I get back to DE and hopefully I’ll be sharing the same opinion as yourself about them.
A number of the vintage Gillette blades get great feedback from users so I took an interest in picking up a selection of some highly recommended ones.
The Blue Blades in the white box are later with bar codes on the back and I’ll be interested to see how they compare with the older ones.
Part of the enjoyment for me with this kind of stuff is the hunt. I like taking my time to seek out interesting stuff .... but not at any cost.

There’s no denying some vintage blades can be more expensive than modern ones and I realise many won’t be interested in that added expense or in trying out older blades but it does interest me and I do genuinely enjoy it.

There might well be a valid argument that they’ll never make blades as good as they used to and I’m keen on sampling a variety to put that theory to the test for myself. The way I see it these vintage blades will only become more expensive as fewer become available and I find current prices are about as much as I’d ever be willing to pay so it’s now or never and I can accept paying a little extra for that privelage and opportunity.

Thanks for the link @Bogeyman . Used the splash this morning and I can see why it challenged Old Spice if Stirling have an honest representation of the 'old English Leather'!

Back
Top Bottom