Advice needed for relatively new DE razor.

Hi, I been shaving for about two years now over that time I've struggled with electronic shavers, cartridge shavers, shaving foams, creams, moisturisers etc...
I recently thought I'd give the a DE razor a try and from that point on I've been converted. I bought a cheap razor from boots and some used some previously bought shaving cream from the shop called Lush along with a body shop shaving brush.

This is my usual routine
1. Wash the skin with a cleanser
2. Warm the skin and hair with warm water
3. Apply the shaving cream with the brush
4. shave (3 passes)
5. Rinse with warm water then moisturise and get in the shower

I don't get a close shave under and on my chin. If I try to get a really close shave my skin feels puffy and dull making my neck look fat and like i have a double chin, My cheeks also feel like this but not as bad. Would applying some alovera gel help this?

I'd like some advice on what I can do to get a better shave and what products would best suit my skin and what ingredients to avoid. Also I have a budget of £100 to buy equipment and supplies and would like some experienced heads to tell me what would be the best way to spend this money taking into account my sensitive skin.

I've seen that DE razors vary in price alot and would like to know whats better about the more expensive ones and are they worth the money.

Hope you can help
Many thanks :)

If you look at the "New DE Shavers" in Shaving Help you'll find some help there.
Welcome to TSR by the way.
Also check out Mantic's vids
regards, beejay

I'd also suggest that if you're new to DE shaving that 3 passes might be a little over-zealous - which is why you may get the puffy skin feeling. I'd guess that your skin may be being irritated by shaving against the grain - at least at this stage. I think it was one of the vids I saw on this site which said that the first thing to aim for is a comfortable shave - getting a really smooth shave can come later, when you've become more accustomed to the technique. Maybe just go with the grain and then across the grain for now, until you've got more familiar with how your beard grows and how your skin responds.

Hi Craig
That lush cream if I am not mistaken is just cream? Not soap.
I use lush prince cream as a base then lather on the top of that. I sometimes use king of shaves under too.
Shower first.
Two passes with the grain of you beard should do to start with . I rarely go against as this does not work for me.
I use gillette vintage superspeeds plus a gillette Tech. They seem to work really well for me.
Frenchblade can get you one of these !
For soap go to wilkos and get a tube of palmolive for about £1.50!
It's ace.
Plus what the others said.
Go over and post in the welcome area too
Best wishes
Tim

It's pretty much already been said but Mantic's videos are very good for starting off, as for missing the chin, this can be difficult and I only recently got this one down myself technique wise, if you lift neck up and make it one movement from top of chin right down to first third of the neck in one stroke, seems to get it all lovely, and you can always get the little bits after 3rd pass if any small bits left.

Everything above is good, but if you only do one thing, make sure that you lose the Lush Cream. It's unmittigated shite.

Palmolive cream or soap stick would be better, and cheaper.

Ian

This is should be your pre shave routine...

craig11 said:
1. Wash the skin with a cleanser
2. Warm the skin and hair with warm water

. shave (3 passes)
5. Rinse with warm water then moisturise and get in the shower

then after shower

3. Apply the shaving cream with the brush

Are you sure your aren't getting a close enough shave? Don't bother puffing up your skin with extra passes, see what it feels like after an hour when everthing has hopefully settled down.

Are you sure you're wetting your neck with as much hot water as elsewhere?

Have you tried a shaving oil? You can use a few drops of (in order of cheapness) olive oil (supermarket), grapeseed oil (£2/litre bottle from supermarket), sweet almond oil (100ml £2 from eBay), dedicated shaving oil (£4 or way more for 15ml).

I haven't any ideas about blades, probably because I heard that 70% of a good shave is down to preparation and only 30% to the razor.

OK, here's my two penn'orth:

Watch mantic59's videos on Youtube.

Prep - clean skin with non-drying soap (glycerin soap is ideal, not ordinary bath soap as it strips oils from the skin), then hold a hot, wet flannel on face and neck for 3 minutes to soften hairs and to allow the errector pili muscles that control the hair's angle to relax.

Watch mantic59's videos on Youtube. :D

Lather - whether you use soap or cream and whether you lather in a bowl or onto the face, get a decent brush (see reviews here to get a good idea of reasonably-priced, quality brushes). Practice making lather multiple times without shaving, see how adding small amounts of water changes the consistency, appearance and lubrication of the lather.

Watch mantic59's videos on Youtube. :lol:

During shave - light pressure using the weight of the razor, loose grip on handle, maintain blade angle by keeping wrist stiff and working with the whole arm. Don't try to push a blade beyond 3 shaves until you know which makes suit you best.

Watch mantic59's videos on Youtube. :lol: :roll:

Post-shave - have a styptic pencil or alum block on hand to seal any nicks or cuts, and get a good balm to help your face recover. Avoid strong aftershaves (especially those based on alcohol) until you're used to shaving this way - I use witch hazel instead even now.

Oh, and did I mention to watch mantic59's videos on Youtube? :mrgreen:

chrisbell said:
...and get a good balm to help your face recover. Avoid strong aftershaves (especially those based on alcohol) until you're used to shaving this way - I use witch hazel instead even now.

That's not necessarily the case for everybody though. Many people find the aftershaves more beneficial than a a balm. I've personally came to the conclusion that balms tend to irritate me and much prefer using an aftershave splash. It's just a case of finding out what works for you, without changing too much at the beginning.

Yellow Jim said:
chrisbell said:
...and get a good balm to help your face recover. Avoid strong aftershaves (especially those based on alcohol) until you're used to shaving this way - I use witch hazel instead even now.

That's not necessarily the case for everybody though. Many people find the aftershaves more beneficial than a a balm. I've personally came to the conclusion that balms tend to irritate me and much prefer using an aftershave splash. It's just a case of finding out what works for you, without changing too much at the beginning.

I agree with Jim... Balms generally make me relive my teenage years, and not in a good way... in a greasy face prone to zits kind of way.

Craig, the thing I would advise is to listen to the advice here in the main (Mantic's videos are invaluable when first starting out) but don't be afraid to try out things, creams, soaps, razors etc. In time you will find your own routine and works best for you.

I've been DE shaving for about three or four years now, and I remember when I first started that, for a while, I didn't think I was getting that close a shave (could still feel some stubble), and got some irritation, I was enjoying the experience so much I persevered. In time, I found the right combination and what worked for me. The best purchase I made in the early stages was my Gillette Fatboy razor, the head and adjustment works great for me. In time, I found that the Feather razor was the best one for my face as well, but I tried a fair few blades before that.

I also used to use exclusively creams as they felt really nice. However, since I decided to take a punt and try soaps, and face lather, I have found that my shaves are far better, and some of the soaps I have tried and found recently have been first class (I'd recommend trying some of the soaps and creams from people on here, such as Professor Blighty, Nanny, Sunbury and Henk, they are all quality).

I'm also one of the few people it seems who doesn't shower first. I find a good warm soak for about a minute on my face first does the trick, but obviously this won't work for everyone.

So, I'd say study and take heed of the advice, but be prepared to experiment and don't be afraid to try things. Rest assured, you will find the right combination and be able to produce BBS shaves without any trouble at all :shave

Back
Top Bottom