Advice on Nanny's

First, let me say I'm generally a cream guy. I have now tried 9 of the 12 TOBS creams, 6 Trumpers, 4 T&H, 2 Cyril Salter, 2 C&E and 1 DR Harris.

I do have MWF to mix things up and love it, but when I 'won' a PIF of a slither of Nanny's Ice and Slice, it was new territory for me.

I used it just now and overall not a bad shave at all. I think I need some tips though.

I made the mistake of soaking it in water (as I would MWF). It kind of went what I would describe as 'gluey'. The lather turned out OK, but by no means great.

To cut a long story short, what should I do next time I use it?

I don't soak the soap, squeeze the excess water from the shaving brush and work the soap until the tips look "glued together", then add water as required to get a good lather.

I found that Nannys original softer soap worked best almost like a cream. I'd smear it on my face (sorry Sharon :blush:) and then face lather it from there. I prefer the new hard soap as it is...er...well just more like a soap. I do leave a little hot water on it while I have a shower, then tip it off and swirl. Works fine that way.

Like all my soaps. I have a Stanley razor knife in the tooth brush holder that I use to cut a slice off of the 'whole'. Press it into the bottom of the bowl and off I go.
Her soaps work very well that way for me.

Tim B said:
Next time you are at the theatre buy an ice cream and keep the spatula. They're good for creams mainly though.

Yup, make sure you buy ice cream and not ice soap. I did that once and it ruined the whole performance. :icon_rolleyes:

Why cut/spatular the soap out? I always used to just whip the brush around on the top surface of the soap. Repeat until brush is holding a lot of lather. Surely once the water has dried out it'll be just like before.

I'm with Eneville: just load the brush straight from the jar / lump without pre soaking. In my experience, you really have to go out of your way to over hydrate these soaps, and if you do a bit of agitation generally sorts it out. Bowl or face, by the way?

I'm guessing Pavlovsdog has some of the hard soap, so I don't think a spatula would work with that. Even my 'hard' shaving soap is softer than most other hard soaps, so it probably won't stand up to as much soaking; however, being softer, I would expect there would be less need to soak.
For the soft soap taking a lump out and smearing it on the face and then face lathering sounds like a good way to use it.

Back
Top Bottom