Alum block?

Hiya

If you've seen my posts on here you'll notice I am new to DE shaving.

When I purchased my initial kit I bought an alum block. I have not seen/read a lot on here about them, but have just watched a Geofatboy vid on youtube and he rubs it like hell all over his face after shaving!

I've tried applying the alum to a couple of small nicks and it stung, but didn't stop the bleed so obviously I need a styptic pencil for that.

Question - what is the alum block for? Does anyone regularly use one? What are the benefits?

Many thanks

Anderson

It's antiseptic and it's astringent so it tightens the skin up and as a side effect of that it can stop minor nicks / weepers. As you've noted it's not a stiptic pencil so it's no good for big cuts. Funnily enough, styptic pencils contain alum. Some say alum soothes the face after shaving, but I've never found it soothing I have to say.
It's got lots of other uses outside of shaving, it's extremely good as deodorant as it kills bacteria but allows you to sweat naturally without getting whiffy. It dries up oily patches of skin and helps reduce the appearance of spots.

There is always one in my washbag and bathroom, I generally just use it as a deo these days but it gets rubbed on the face occasionally on the odd tiny weeper.

I've found that it sorts out all but the very largest cuts... just one cut it couldn't handle.
I dip it in cold water after a shave and glide it over my face... making sure it stays wet. Stings a little bit but feels good to me. I leave it to dry naturally and then put on some aftershave balm. The final effect is pretty marvellous... for me at least.

The Geordie Shaver said:
Am I the only one who actually finds that the Alum block actually causes irritation ?
I like Canuck more or less limit my use off it to that of a deodorant nowadays .
Derrick

Yup me too, even when I wash it off an apply balm it buggers that up to.

Alum irritates the hell out of my skin even if I wash it off straight away. Oddly enough, I've no such issues using it as my daily deodorant. I use witch hazel followed by an an alcohol-free aftershave balm, if anything at all.

I can't use Alum either, it dries my face up like a Cream Cracker.

I just have a cold water rinse after shaving then apply whatever After Shave takes my fancy. I do keep a Styptic Pencil handy but can't remember the last time it was used.

Burns the heck out of my face too & dries my skin, can only leave it on for a few seconds before I rinse it off, it can stop small nicks from bleeding though, if I can put up with the pain !

Burgundy said:
Alum irritates the hell out of my skin even if I wash it off straight away. Oddly enough, I've no such issues using it as my daily deodorant. I use witch hazel followed by an an alcohol-free aftershave balm, if anything at all.

What brand of witch hazel do you use? Can it be used for irritated skin? I sometimes get red spots on the neck just after shaving. Thanks

I have been watching this thread with intetest as I have had a rather sore and very itchy neck area over the last couple of weeks (since starting to use alum block)
Today I left it out after reading the above, and I am glad I did! I am now 99% sure it is the alum block that has been causing the irritation. I have also been using another one as an anti-perspirant and have to say it does it's job in that department.

Johnus said:
But that 1% might have save you from a serious infection! 99% irritation ; 1% Staph! Who knows?
Before starting on my journey with DE razors I quite happily shaved with cut-throats for several years and hadn't even heard of an alum block far less used one. Keep youself and your equipment clean and there shouldn't be a problem. But on top of that most aftersaves contain alchohol which will see off most nasties

Back
Top Bottom