Alum block?

octopus said:
What brand of witch hazel do you use? Can it be used for irritated skin? I sometimes get red spots on the neck just after shaving. Thanks

You can use any brand of witch hazel as a gentler alternative, they all do pretty much the same thing, I've got some Thayers cucumber which is lovely but a bit dear for what it is, it smells nice though.
You shouldn't get any red marks with witch hazel, and yes it's good for irritated skin.

I've been using an alum block after shaving and I find my skin is improved with it. I use the alum block and a few minutes later my skin is dry to the touch, and at that point I'll apply balm if it's in the evening or aftershave if it's in the morning before work. I don't mind the pain.

The most remarkable thing is how long they last!

octopus said:
Burgundy said:
Alum irritates the hell out of my skin even if I wash it off straight away. Oddly enough, I've no such issues using it as my daily deodorant. I use witch hazel followed by an an alcohol-free aftershave balm, if anything at all.

What brand of witch hazel do you use? Can it be used for irritated skin? I sometimes get red spots on the neck just after shaving. Thanks
I'm currently just using a cheapy pharmacy brand that you may recognise: http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/care-witch-hazel-200ml-15206. It does the trick but I do intend to have a crack at alcohol-free Thayers next up.

You may want to work out what's causing the red spots before trying to 'cure' it with witch hazel. Could you be intolerant to a certain product? Might it be a matter of tweaking your shaving strategies; i.e. your method of attack on that part of your beard? I'll forever be trying to figure out a means of better dealing with the geometry of the bottom of my neck. Anyway, give the witch hazel a shot.

Edit: My skin's on the dryer end of 'normal' - hence shying away from 'drying' lotions and potions; i.e. alcohol. Different strokes for different folks, asnd all that YMMV jazz.

Alum is a natural product that has definite soothing properties as well as the acknowledged anti deodorant quality. I assume that some people have a lesser tolerance - for myself, with a sensitive skin, I find it helps directly afer shaving and cuts down on razor bumps.

Witch Hazel is an astringent so it helps to close pores and also acts as a soothing agent. I use both alum and WH since I started using a straight razor and have to say that my skin has never been in better condition. Horses for courses.

I bought a block with my first shaving kit and at first I thought it was making the irritation and bumps on my neck worse so stopped using it. I used witch hazel instead because I like the "finger feel" given by an astringent on the face after shaving. A couple of months down the line and I went back to trying alum and while the slight sting of application is still there, and I rinse it off with cold water after a minute or so, it doesn't appear to create any irritation at all. I'd say my neck has never looked better but whether or not the alum is contributing to this is hard to say; my technique could just have improved and I'm no longer going fully ATG on the neck. I'll keep on using it as part of the routine for now.

If you're just starting out and find the alum isn't working out, perhaps give it a few months and re-visit it before writing it off completely.

Back
Top Bottom