Am I the only one - bad shave with Arko stick

I tried an Arko stick for the first time last night, just replacing my Porosso Green with the stick, resulting in a really bad shave, razor burn, rash and loads of weepers.

I was using my Weber PH with a Perssonna lab blue, Porosso pre shave.

I face lathered, seemed like a good lather, but the shave was no good.

Any suggestions, or should I just give it up as a bad job?

Greetings

I personally like Arko, but shaving soaps are such a personal thing that it might just not suit you and your shaving 'style' I would give it just one more go and then if you get no joy I would suggest you bin it.

There are just so many soaps to try it hardly seems worth the effort of enduring a second class shave, life is just too short, put it down to to one of those soaps that is 'just not for me', and move on.

The nice thing about sampling these cheap shaving soaps that if you bin one or give it away you have lost just a few bob!

Regards
Dick.

Totally agree with Norfolkdick on this one. Personally I've always had great experiences with Arko and I would to go as far to say it's my desert island soap. Each to their own. Hope you get a better experience with your next choice.
Denz

Another arko fan try chipping a bit off and squishing in bottom of a bowl and make lather from that likes a bit more water and a coarser brush in my eyes. My barber get a great lather with a horse hair brush with it

I thought soaps were soaps and sticks were sticks but I think, YMMV much like blades.
I bought a TOBS soap and TBH, not that impressed. Smells nice, lathers well, but not as slick as Arko/Palmolive/Ingrams etc..... at half (or less) the cost...

Derbian said:

Hi there,

As others have said, give it another time or two. It can sometimes take me 3-4 times to dial in a new soap or cream. If after that time the shave's nothing special, I toss it. Normally I would only even try it that many times because the product got very good reviews.

Arko is an average performer that happens to lather up real easily. Don't expect it to be anything special, no matter what some of these other members say. They mean well, but sorry guys.

Oh, the scent. Can't forget about that. It's lovely. It reminds me of Springtime in a Turkish jail.

Martin

dodgy said:
Derbian said:

Hi there,

As others have said, give it another time or two. It can sometimes take me 3-4 times to dial in a new soap or cream. If after that time the shave's nothing special, I toss it. Normally I would only even try it that many times because the product got very good reviews.

Arko is an average performer that happens to lather up real easily. Don't expect it to be anything special, no matter what some of these other members say. They mean well, but sorry guys.

Oh, the scent. Can't forget about that. It's lovely. It reminds me of Springtime in a Turkish jail.

Martin

I was hoping someone would bring that up and it had to be you, he he toilet blocks (the crunchy blocks in the pisser) smell, :s nice

Like what has been suggested, cut a slice off and press around the bottom of a bowl. Then, float the bowl in hot water, and the soap should warm through. This may help create a better lather. It could also be that the shaving brush is absorbing too much, so you could try using a synthetic bristle brush which won't absorb anything.

dodgy said:

Martin

Does this bring back memories Martin :)

w964_zpsc47a0a88.jpg

I'd rather have an ARKO enema than shave with it! Performs well but oof, the smell.....

Who'd a thunk I used to like it?

No memories Thank God,

That is one movie I will never watch. Now keep in mind I'm old enough to remember when it came out, but the subject matter was just too uncomfortable.

Martin

Gairdner said:
I'd rather have an ARKO enema than shave with it!

Oh, you can use it both ways!! No need having to make those hard choices.

Come on guys. You must have County/Country Fairs in the UK. Just think of the Outdoors Men's Room/loo/jacks. Arko is just getting you ready!

Back
Top Bottom