Another DE

I started off a little less than two months ago with an Edwin Jagger DE89. I seem to have chosen well, I got a great shave from it.

I wasn't a huge fan of the shortish handle, but more than that I found the smooth chrome slippy.

I asked about an adjustable DE and some kind soul went and fixed me up with one, for a very generous price. It's a Gillette slim adjustable, and it's in amazing condition.

However I'm not sure I'm going to end up getting the shave I'd like to from it. I've been trying it with lots of different blades and at different settings and I don't think I get as smooth as shave as I did with the DE89. Something I do miss with the DE89 is the sound, I think it might be down to the weight of the head (that's a guess) but I found the DE89 was easier for me to shave with.

So I thought I'd see if I could find a DE89, with a lined handle, and a little longer. It seems the Muhle Grande with the closed comb is the answer. Brian at ES believes it to be the same head, with a longer handle. He also said that it's a well received razor, and that the one I might also consider is the new Merkur 47C. I can't find reviews of it - no surprise as it's new - but it looks more attracitve than the Grande, and it seems to be made with the same thought in mind.

Does anyone have anything they think might help me choose?

On the one hand I know, to a fair degree what I'm getting with the Grande, but on the other hand the Merkur looks nicer and my guess is it'll be a similar shave?

I have a Merkur 89 head on an Ikon handle,i get great shaves with it as the handle is short and knurled so doesn't slip and the head i find to be the perfect weight to compliment the handle,if you can get an Ikon handle go for it.

Dave.

I have a Chatsworth in chrome. A heavy long handled razor with the same Jagger head you like. They do a lined version:

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/CLISR||@cTraditional%20DE%20Safety%20Razors@bEdwin%20Jagger|15|user||26|

i have the above chatsworth for sale if you want it....

£45 delivered special delivery

used but no marks on it...and maybe still have the box

I ended up taking a day off tomorrow, so I decided I'd like to try the Grande.

The reasoning being that if I don't especially like it, I know the head is right so I could get a replacement handle, however I have my fingers crossed that I'll like it as it comes, and every reason to believe I will.

Thanks folks! :)

Tackleberry, have I seen you on OcUK forums?

Edit : As for the Chatsworth I (excuse the vanity) don't like the way it looks. There's also a Muhle Sophist and I don't much like the look of that either - although Muhle do a very attractive chrome and black brush in a similar theme. I'm not quite as vain as to pick a razor purely on looks, but the Sophist and Chatsworth don't seem to have any advantage over the Grande - or at least as far as what I think I'm after. Edit Edit : I do hope you sell yours for the price you're asking. It's a knock down price, so hold out on it for a week and I'm sure somebody will take you up on it!

That may very well happen in the future! For now I'll see how I do with what comes through the post. The bathroom is costing a little more than expected so I won't be dropping a couple of hundred on a really really nice handle and holder, however that's maybe not a bad thing as I don't yet understand what I need in a handle and I especially don't understand my needs in a brush.

I think if I did get Daz to make me a handle I'd be all sorts of a jerk if I didn't know exactly what I needed and was wasting his time! :)

He's just created a blog to sell handles! I think it's a conspiracy to get me to drop some cash :p

I'm going to wait until I see how I do with the Grande, as it comes, and perhaps then I'll get a Daz handle... perhaps I'll get one and get it chrome plated!

I would love to see some of Daz's JEC handles plated, if i can find someone to do mine for not much money I will get it done.
Halk it's not me on OcUK, does whoever it is have the same name then?

Well, the Muhle Grande R89 arrived today.

It looks the part but I have to say I'm fairly disappointed by how it feels. It must be hollow inside as it feels a bit empty, as if it was made of plastic!

However I've just tried my first shave with it, and a brand new feather blade and I seem to have had a good shave. I'm waiting for the aftershave gel to dry and then I'll have a proper check.

I suspect I'll be getting one of those handles!

It can be a case of trying out different razors, but never quite managing to find the right one. My choice of razor tends to be long, heavy handled razors. So I would go for either the Merkur 'Barberpole', or the 43C. It was the King of Shaves Azor cartridge razor which got me onto long handled razors. However, in the end I got the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley, which is quite heavy, around 110g, at £70.00. But I like using it, and have only 2 other razors - the Merkur 25C open comb, and Boots DE which is really light yet shaves closely.

It could also be a question of technique, and getting to know the razor over time. I know someone else quoted a '30 day rule' - use the same set up for 30 days, to give a base line against which to compare other razors etc. Then change one thing at a time.

I'm getting good shaves with it, and I've got a JEC handle being made. I expect to get slightly better shaves with that and I think it'll feel just right.

Back
Top Bottom