Are your children being finger printed at school??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oldest grandson (nearly 16) informs me that to pay/ prove payment for his school dinners, he just scans his finger prints?!?!?!?!? O.K. two finger prints. Apparently, this was brought in (in his school at least) a few years ago. There is the option of using a card instead, but apparently the vast majority were happy to agree to this. Only the parents of a handful were concerned enough to insist on a card. Grandson knows no better than what the school told him was a great idea; as he says 'kids would lose the cards, but you can't lose your finger prints'.
I was wondering how widespread this is, and what others here think about it; damn sure I know what I think about it.

The GF's little brother has this at his school. There is a card the parents have to top up money, then the finger print is used so no one else can use the money put on the card. I clock in and out of work using a fingerprint system. Apparently the finger prints are only stored locally in order to ascertain when exactly I'm at work and leave work.

STB!!
'Apparently the finger prints are only stored locally in order to ascertain when exactly I'm at work and leave work. ' That's all honky dory then......
Seriously, SB, I understand if the job you're in is the type of job where they'ld mark you down as a trouble maker if you asked for an alternative (is there an alternative?), and we all need to make a living; but does your g/f's brother need to make a living?
The starting point to me is that as a person born on this earth, I have a right to breath the air, drink the water, and walk the earth without anyone asking me for my biometric data.
Or is that just old fashioned now?
You can be sure that when your finger print shows up on something you made or posted or whatever, the 'only stored locally' thing isn't going to give you the protection you might expect; when we watch CSI and such, we are led to believe that all the people they have this information on have previous criminal records. 50 years from now, it'll be 'Well, we have a match for one of your Nan's finger prints from the dinner queue.'

soapalchemist said:
STB!!
'Apparently the finger prints are only stored locally in order to ascertain when exactly I'm at work and leave work. ' That's all honky dory then......
Seriously, SB, I understand if the job you're in is the type of job where they'ld mark you down as a trouble maker if you asked for an alternative (is there an alternative?), and we all need to make a living; but does your g/f's brother need to make a living?
The starting point to me is that as a person born on this earth, I have a right to breath the air, drink the water, and walk the earth without anyone asking me for my biometric data.
Or is that just old fashioned now?
You can be sure that when your finger print shows up on something you made or posted or whatever, the 'only stored locally' thing isn't going to give you the protection you might expect; when we watch CSI and such, we are led to believe that all the people they have this information on have previous criminal records. 50 years from now, it'll be 'Well, we have a match for one of your Nan's finger prints from the dinner queue.'

Heh, I agree, it's ridiculous. That's just what I read off the spiel next to the machine where I have to sign in. I actually work for the Co-Op, and there is no need for them to use the finger print system, but there is no alternative, or at least no one where I work uses an alternative.

I don't think it's old fashioned, in fact I agree that it's not necessary for ANYONE to have our fingerprints, except the police if we were to ever commit a crime.

The system the co op use is called Kronos, if it's an interest to you, or anyone else for that matter. When I started I asked why do I have to do this, and they purely said that we all do, it ensures that we're paid for the work we do. The finger prints MUST be stored somewhere, and I don't agree with it, but from the off was offered no alternative.

I'm with you all the way, Soapie! This is just the first step on the slippery slope towards total state control and regulation of every single aspect of our lives. Makes me want to get off the grid and go live in the woods where the only fingerprints I'd be leaving would be on the trees and yon thing I pee out of - all trees together, eh? ;)

Seriously though, I find this fingerprinting idea utterly abhorrent and if it ever comes into any aspect of my family's daily life, I will be protesting in the strongest manner possible. Breaches our civil rights, denies us rightful privacy and has the potential to be misused to catastrophic effect.

Fingerprinting is for the police and my God, how even that has been abused on occasion.

If my fingerprints are wanted, I will show them two fingers instead and let them make of that what they will!

We could always set Vinny on 'em! :icon_eek:

We're doing you one better:
Wired
THREAT LEVEL
Tracking School Children With RFID Tags?

Student body ID cards with RFID-embedded chips. Image: Northside Independent School District
Just as the U.S. Department of Agriculture mandates Radio Frequency Identification Device chips to monitor livestock, a Texas school district just begun implanting the devices on student identification cards to monitor pupils' movements on campus, and to track them as they come and go from school.

I believe one of the parents concerns is that they can be tracked by air!

They do this at the school my youngest son attends.

I lost my tin foil hat a while ago and the dog ate my ticket to ride the outrage bus so this gets a 0.02 on my 'bovvered?' scale.

SmallBeard said:
I clock in and out of work using a fingerprint system. Apparently the finger prints are only stored locally in order to ascertain when exactly I'm at work and leave work.
Same here, plus we use biometrics to administer medication - so before meds are dispensed by the computermabob the fingerprint must match - also helps avoid "double dispensing" or "early dispensing".

Yes they do this at my sons school.

Our neighbours had two kids there before they moved. One boy and one girl with a three year age difference. They came home one day and had experience problems with the system, apparently their finger prints were so alike they both triggered one account. Great technology !!

My son has this for his dinner money. I thought it odd at first but at least they're not beating him up for his lunch money. I suppose they could cut his finger off

I have no problem with this, everyone living legally on this island shouldn't.

Worried about finger printing eh, anyone use a fuel reward card, carry a mobile phone, drive their car around any of the major cities or between them, carry an Oyster card, use the Internet too name a few.

RB73 said:
I have no problem with this, everyone living legally on this island shouldn't.

Worried about finger printing eh, anyone use a fuel reward card, carry a mobile phone, drive their car around any of the major cities or between them, carry an Oyster card, use the Internet too name a few.

Very true, actually. We are basically being tracked wherever we go, and whatever we do. It's just part of life nowadays.

SmallBeard said:
The system the co op use is called Kronos, if it's an interest to you, or anyone else for that matter. When I started I asked why do I have to do this, and they purely said that we all do, it ensures that we're paid for the work we do. The finger prints MUST be stored somewhere, and I don't agree with it, but from the off was offered no alternative.

The other reason of course is to avoid the practice of 'clocking' other people in and out.

I'm not sure how using something like this as a recognition aid suddenly becomes the state taking control of our lives. In both the example of the school and employer using the technology, where is the state involved?

Personally, I'm all in favour of identity cards if it helps control illegal immigration. As already pointed out there are many ways in which our lives can be tracked anyway so how does an identity card differ from say, a plastic driving licence?

UKRob said:
SmallBeard said:

The other reason of course is to avoid the practice of 'clocking' other people in and out.

I'm not sure how using something like this as a recognition aid suddenly becomes the state taking control of our lives. In both the example of the school and employer using the technology, where is the state involved?

Personally, I'm all in favour of identity cards if it helps control illegal immigration. As already pointed out there are many ways in which our lives can be tracked anyway so how does an identity card differ from say, a plastic driving licence?

That being said, there is a guy at work who can clock out for others using his finger prints, which is very odd. I guess that shows that the fingerprints the system takes aren't exactly accurate.

EDIT: As Walkers says though, I've not yet committed a crime, and don't plan on it, so I don't need to worry. And if I was to commit a crime, I shouldn't have to worry about fingerprints as I should be man enough to accept the punishment.

The school my son will be attending next September has the fingerprint system. I'm not against it and like UKRob I agree we should all have ID cards or similar, if you are doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about.

We might be heading towards a police state but at least we'll all get gorgeous coffee...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0041DIWZM/ref=tsm_1_fb_s_uk_mlp850

HD8946_01-IMS-global

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom