Aristocrat #16 with brassing - to replate or not?

I've recently acquired a #16 Aristocrat - it's in nice condition apart from some brassing, mainly between the TTO knob and handle. I'd like to ask the more learned men of this forum whether they think I should get it replated now to avoid further deterioration, or is that not worth the expense? See pictures for details.Thanks!

[attachment=5586][attachment=5587][attachment=5588]

I think this is down to personal preference. Some people (like myself) think it would look beautiful if it was re-done, and would look as it should. Others will feel it's either a waste of money or that you're ruining an original.

Ultimately it's up to you. It appears to be cosmetic, however if it's started to wear in some places then perhaps if it's going to be your every day razor then in 5 years it might have worn to the point where it'll need to be done.

I'd sell it, it looks old and tarnished......

I'll give you a fiver? Ok sold.

Thanks. :)

Anyway back to me not dreaming, it looks an awesome piece and should be looked after.
If it doesnt bother you dont get it done and wait to replate it if you are ever going to sell it.
If it does bother you, get it done asap by restored razors. Cracking service from the once I've used them.

Rasierhobel said:
i wouldnt replate it cause it is in a too nice shape...

+1

If it's going to be used as a long term regular shaver, they always tend to develope some wear on that bit, as it's one of the few places there is metal on metal friction.

Last time I looked Dave does rhodium plating for £55 which is a good price, but I don't think yours is anywhere near needing it.
I say use it and see if it gets worse over time, then maybe re-do. But it's your choice.

merwtje said:
Nice razor! How do you like the shave?

Hi Erwin, I am liking the #16. It's a real smooth shaver and it seems to have a bit more bite than the HD500. It might well become my daily shaver, although I think I'll still reach for the #15 when I have a few days growth to deal with.

Does anyone else have a #16 in their rotation?

Rocket Man said:
I am liking the #16. It's a real smooth shaver and it seems to have a bit more bite than the HD500. It might well become my daily shaver, although I think I'll still reach for the #15 when I have a few days growth to deal with.

Hi there,

There's a #16 in the arsenal for when I wanna pamper myself even more than usual. Some other razors also included in that group is the #21, #58, and the Popular. I've also used the #15, which wasn't a good fit.

The #16 has just a smidge more bite than my everyday razor, but still plenty comfortable. I do have to pay a little attention when the handle's wet (not the best grip), but no big deal. Barberpole is a great looking knurling, but a diamond cut usually grips better.

Still, it's one of my favorites,

Martin

Rocket Man said:
I am liking the #16. It's a real smooth shaver and it seems to have a bit more bite than the HD500. It might well become my daily shaver, although I think I'll still reach for the #15 when I have a few days growth to deal with.

Hi there,

There's a #16 in the arsenal for when I wanna pamper myself even more than usual. Some other razors also included in that group is the #21, #58, and the Popular. I've also used the #15, which wasn't a good fit.

The #16 has just a smidge more bite than my everyday razor, but still plenty comfortable. I do have to pay a little attention when the handle's wet (not the best grip), but no big deal. Barberpole is a great looking knurling, but a diamond cut usually grips better. The #16 is a heavy razor as you know, and that appeals to me in this case.

It's one of my favorites in that previous mentioned group, along with the #58 when it comes to the actual shave itself.

Martin

Attachments

• 16-5.jpg
    16-5.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom