B&N Nook e-readers and tablets slashed in price

As a promotion tied to "Get London Reading Week" or some such - Barnes & Noble have dropped the price of their base e-ink offering (the Nook Simple Touch) to £29 and there's up to £70 off across the range.

LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--NOOK Media LLC, a subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world's largest bookseller and leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, announced today its support of the successful literacy initiative, “Get London Reading,” while making reading more affordable across the UK by offering the award-winning NOOK Simple Touch eReader at a new low price of just £29 for a limited time only.

As part of this partnership, NOOK, the award-winning eReader brand, will donate 1,000 of its NOOK Simple Touch eReaders to Beanstalk, a national literacy charity that recruits, vets, trains and supports volunteers in schools. Beanstalk literacy volunteers will use NOOKs to increase the access to digital books in key schools with high levels of illiteracy.

“Literacy is at the heart of everything we do,” said Jim Hilt, Managing Director, Barnes & Noble. “We have a passion for everyone to experience digital reading affordably, anytime and anywhere. It was a perfect fit when we had the opportunity to partner on the ‘Get London Reading' campaign. We hope to further enrich the minds of readers of all ages across the UK and give them affordable access to the books they love.”

As part of its involvement in the Get London Reading programme, NOOK is offering its eReaders and tablets at special value prices for a limited time only.

Although I've heard that you can root it (it's Android-based) and install the Android Kindle app... http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch/Rooting ... You ain't seen me. right?

Oh, er I've heard that you can root it (it's Android-based) and install the Kindle App... http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch/Rooting

NOOK eReaders:

The NOOK Simple Touch is now £29, down from £79, making it the most affordable and highest quality eReader on the market.
The NOOK® Simple Touch GlowLight is just £69, down from £109.

NOOK Tablets:

NOOK® HD now starts at £129 for the 7-inch tablet, down from £159
NOOK® HD+ now starts at £179 for the 9-inch tablet, down from £229

Not sure if anyone is interested but there you go :)

Theoretical availability: major UK retailers including Argos, ASDA, Blackwell's, Foyles, Currys / PC World, John Lewis, Sainsbury's and Very, as well as NOOK.co.uk.

It's basically an ePub reader - so you can use books from B&N/Nook, Sony, etc - but not Amazon (at least not directly).

However - you can apparently root it (it's Android-based) and install the Android Kindle app... http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch/Rooting - which is nice :)

Now that sounds like a good deal, would like to see amazon try a similar offer with the paperwhite.

This looks like a really good deal. Has anyone here tried one? I've been looking at reviews but, and here's where the cynic in me takes over, I can't help but think that most of these sites are paid to say nice things! How does it compare to the kindle?

Great big thanks to you HM. I've been wondering about trying an E reader for a long time. Just ordered mine. Not going to root it. If B and N are good enough to let me have a Nook this dirt cheap they deserve at least some of my business.

Count of Undolpho said:
If you are just wanting to read ebooks from different sellers on it I thoroughly recommend going the Calibre route, less hassle than rooting.

I'd never heard of Calibre before, thanks for letting me know. It will save me a lot of hassle in the future.

Count of Undolpho said:
If you are just wanting to read ebooks from different sellers on it I thoroughly recommend going the Calibre route, less hassle than rooting.

i also use calibre companion on mobiles as well.

this allows you to use calibre with android phones to transfer books.

you might need to remove the drm on some books to change the format but doing it is trivial with a plugin for calibre

by apretice alf

http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/tools-v6-0-5-posted/

Well, I have to say I am highly disappointed - verging on raging.

I ordered one of the Simple Touch models on the 1st. Then got an email saying there was an issue with my card (which I knew wasn't the case). Shortly after that I get an email apologising for the misunderstanding and urging me to re-order. I don't know why they couldn't just process my initial order.

Anyway, I re-order on the 2nd and get a confirmation that all is well and good. I then get an email saying it is scheduled to ship (you can see where this going).

Then yesterday (the 3rd), I get an e-mail saying that they are out of stock and urging me to order the £69 Glowlight model! I was livid and sent them a remarkably civil e-mail, considering how annoyed I was. I am still awaiting a reply but I don't hold out hope for a resolution.

Has anyone else here ordered one with this offer? Did they fulfill it? Maybe I'm being cynical, but to me it seems like they had no intention of fufilling my order - the BS about my card was dodgy to begin with.

Anyway, sorry for the rant - I'm wondering if anyone else here managed to order one successfully?

Back
Top Bottom