B&N Nook e-readers and tablets slashed in price

Darren said:
hunnymonster said:
From other sources, I can see that orders for the £29 Simple Touch are being processed... Highest order number I see so far with confirmed shipping is 59015XXXX (shipped on 6 May from Utrecht)

Cheers HM, I've just had more info from you than I've ever had from the company and I guess that's me gripe here..... If someone had told me they were swamped and could I bare with them it would all be a lot nicer.

I'd have thought their being swamped was a given when they dropped the price to just about the price of a decent malt... £2 odd per month over a year if you prefer.

More info from my colleague... He ordered and got the knock back email so ordered again within 2 hours... His order numbers were 19,000 odd apart... Which is a fair old volume if they're sequential and all just for hardware.

Re: RE: B&N Nook e-readers and tablets slashed in price

[/quote]

I'd have thought their being swamped was a given when they dropped the price to just about the price of a decent malt...
[/quote]

I'm sorry, I don't follow your reasoning at all. I've been in retail all my working life and fail to see how having a good promotional offer should always result in being swamped/unable to cope. Many companies prepare for high demand due to aggressive pricing strategy. My own companies have had to do so on many occasions. Letting waiting customers know why they are waiting and for how long is not difficult or expensive. But I do take your point about the numbers involved and thank you, again, for the original heads up. :)

The letting people know is the big fall down, it seems to be a bit of a failing of theirs. The delay and the payment mess up both due to demand - part of getting a bargain or a desirable product, these things happen.

Received the one I ordered this am.

Count of Undolpho said:
The letting people know is the big fall down, it seems to be a bit of a failing of theirs. The delay and the payment mess up both due to demand - part of getting a bargain or a desirable product, these things happen.

Received the one I ordered this am.

Nice one! Have you had a go of it yet?

I have to say, I got a reply from the customer services yesterday that offered an unreserved apology for the mix up and promised to fulfill my order once the new stock arrives. They didn't mention the issues with their system though (just said that "payment couldn't be received") which does irk me a bit, since I know my card/bank was fine.

But anyway, I know that it's easy to mess something up, but it's how they go about sorting it out that I'll judge them on. I'll wait until I receive mine, but it is looking promising now.

I hope everyone gets it sorted out.

mulligano said:
But anyway, I know that it's easy to mess something up, but it's how they go about sorting it out that I'll judge them on. I'll wait until I receive mine, but it is looking promising now.

+1 I tell the engineers "it's not the problems that count it's the solutions"

Just charged it and putting some books on now. Very nice, especially when compared to my old Kindle Keyboard - lighter, clearer? screen and touch input which is always cool. Setup WiFi and registered with no hassle. Added and formatted 2Gb microSD card, again no hassle.
Also activated 'password needed to purchase' which considering it's for my six year old is very important!

Better late than never the Nook has arrived and is charging up for use tonight.
It's smaller than I thought it would be and very nice to handle. The E Ink thing is interesting and there is very little to distract you from reading. Better, it seems on first sight, than reading on a tablet or phone or whatever.
Many thanks to Hunney Mobster for the very kind heads up. :)

.... And also thanks to The Count for his excellent E Book suggestions.
You know I luvs y'all. :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368618939499.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368618939499.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 31
Six year old is now seven and therefore ebooked up. She is at present reading Pratchet's Wee Free Men (can I have the book with the blue men in the boat Daddy?). I'm not sure she'll get through it but....

Had to do a bit of looking up to find things like change text size and I'm still training her to not keep ending up in the settings.

Hallelujah! After 20+ e-mails to barnes and noble and over 10 weeks my ebook has finally arrived!

XTF2E7c.jpg

Not only did I have the initial problems mentioned above, but they sent it from the Netherlands 3 times with an incomplete address - twice without a street name and once without the house number..........

But it's here now!

My daughter has got me to read to her from hers a few times now, for the money it's a great bit of kit and I would have been happy with one myself. My Kindle Keyboard is still going strong so an unjustifiable expense.

I've been looking at the Nooks that have been rooted - being able to get email and use Kindle seems really cool, although I daren't try it on mine yet!

mulligano said:
I've been looking at the Nooks that have been rooted - being able to get email and use Kindle seems really cool, although I daren't try it on mine yet!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2040351

It's all there... easy to do (easy to undo too). If you can follow the instructions you should be all done in about an hour.

So whats everyone reading at the moment?

Do you stick with paying or free books?

I need to have a look at rooting mine before the summer hols at the end of August.

A - W said:
So whats everyone reading at the moment?

Do you stick with paying or free books?

I need to have a look at rooting mine before the summer hols at the end of August.

All sorts of stuff at the mo but mainly fantasy. I tend to read whatever I find be it pay for/free/borrowed. Most of the people I know tend to take the DRM off so we tend to do our own lending library on the understanding we delete after reading. Though if it's one I had on analogue I don't tend to be as fussy.

Back
Top Bottom