Balm or aftershave?

I have only used balm, usually followed by EdT. Never used aftershave. I've heard it is very drying, any suggestions of one's to try welcome.
Old Spice.
Trumper's skin food is lovely stuff too, though I suppose it should be considered a balm. It really is in a category all it's own though.

I tend to alternate between the two depending on circumstances e.g. weather and skin condition.

I also have a definite preference for balm in the case of razor burn and aftershave for nicks and weepers

Use both after every shave. I have a whole load of balms but mostly use Myresol Emulsion - let that sink in (whilst deciding exactly what shade of lippy) and follow up with a splash of A/S - Floid Blue being my everyday preference. None of my splashes has a scent that lasts more than a few minutes - so it doesn't dictate what I choose for cologne etc.

I've never seen the point of the high-end aftershaves i.e. the ones that you are advised to just dab behind the ears. I prefer to spend on Colognes and EdeT.

I use Trumpers skin food regularly too. Might have to try one of the old style aftershaves like Old Spice or Brut.
Brut AS is nothing like the old Fabergé formula. If you want to try the original Brut 33, you'll need to grab a bottle of Brut Special Reserve cologne. It's the old aftershave formula and in my opinion, pretty decent compared to the current Brut AS, which smells like cheap, utter trash.

I don't find balms effective at dealing with irritation. A good alcohol-based, aftershave, however, does the trick for me, especially if it contains some menthol. Aftershave leaves my face feeling clean and invigorated whereas balm leaves my face feeling greasy and itchy.

I have only used balm, usually followed by EdT. Never used aftershave. I've heard it is very drying, any suggestions of one's to try welcome.
Purely aftershave:

Old spice
PAA a/s (all good)
Tabac
Speick
TOBS Jermyn Street (rest are drying)
Scent from heaven (a/s and a/s gel)

I know of approx 75, but these are a few to try and easy to source.

I was always a balm user. I now use nearly 100% AS. Skin feels fresher.
I will follow up with a moisturiser, (with a touch of tanning agent ;) ), if skin feels a little dry.
Proraso Green AS is superb and cheap.
Blue Stratos is good too and I liked the modern Brut both at £5 a bottle. Scent doesn't last long, so if you don't really like it - it doesn't matter!

Back
Top Bottom