Barber ear hair removal

I've been using my GroomMate (thanks to those who suggested it) for a while now. It's not as quick and easy as those little electric jobs but unlike them it doesn't keep breaking.
I was wondering how barbers do that trick where they burn off your ear hair; I think a cotton bud, possibly some alcohol (on the bud, not down your throat) and a lighter might be involved? Does anyone know exactly and have they ever done it? I'd like to give it a try but can see myself in hospital and the whole block of flats needing temporary re-housing.

Many years ago it was common for barbers to run a waxed taper across hair that was just cut - it was known as singeing and - I assume was thought of as cauterizing the hair. The same thing was used to briefly remove ear hair. I haven't seen it done for many years since electric clippers do the job just as well but without the smell.

NotTheStig said:
I've been using my GroomMate (thanks to those who suggested it) for a while now. It's not as quick and easy as those little electric jobs but unlike them it doesn't keep breaking.
I was wondering how barbers do that trick where they burn off your ear hair; I think a cotton bud, possibly some alcohol (on the bud, not down your throat) and a lighter might be involved? Does anyone know exactly and have they ever done it? I'd like to give it a try but can see myself in hospital and the whole block of flats needing temporary re-housing.

Turkish barbers I've used simply use a splash of the Duru lemon aftershave on the cotton wool ball (held in a pair of tweezers) and make quick dabbing movements with the flaming ball of death alternating with a cool damp tissue (possibly a wet wipe)

I've done my ears with a gas lighter on a high flame in the past, just dancing the flame in to singe the hair. But be careful, hair flares up easily...
I get the barber to do it now days though with the electric clippers...I'm not struck on the smell of burning hair, the smell tends to linger in the nose...Yucky.

Back
Top Bottom