Before or after?

Post shave, do you apply a/s splash before a moisturiser or after? I'm just sitting here and the thought popped into my head that we all may do it differently. I tend to apply a soothing balm first and then apply the splash but I think that probably most people do it the other way round. My way works for me. Any thoughts?

It's normally one or the other for me. I think that I've only applied both a balm and a splash once, and I applied the splash first.

Ian

What interests me about this thread is that it seems you all follow a shave with both a balm AND a splash. I''ve always considered it was simply a choice between the two. I have just used a balm for years - never thought of following with a splash.
Is this use of both, common practice among shaving aficionados?

I get good results with balm first then the splash but I'm going to try it the other way round for a week or so. I suppose my original thinking was that the splash would somehow "seal in" the balm and leave the splash aroma dominant. No science behind it but some things work but not for others. ;)

And another point. Surely after a shave you only need a moisturising balm. You don't need an after shave lotion on your face and neck particularly if it contains alcahol. Isn't after shave/cologne really a male scent which you should slap a drop or two around the top of your chest if you fancy it.

At least this is what someone told me recently.

AS before anything but I suppose it depends on why you use the AS? I'm surprised that an AS works very effectively after an AB unless it's just a dab for some scent.

I'm a fan of AS/Splash because the alcohol IS an antiseptic and if its good quality then it should contain essential oils that prevent the drying that balmers usually complain about. If I haven't taken enough care during a shave then I will reapply if I need to. Having said that I like the Proraso Balm senza alcool that I will use quite a while after the last AS application if needed. You could just as easily use a cold cream like Nivea if you need to moisturize probably just as effective. I do like the burn though.

Back
Top Bottom