Before or after?

Fido said:
I intend to continue bending a few ears about this. But for the time being, I am sticking to balm plus the occasional use of cologne in spray form.[/quote

Good approach. What fragrance do you use?

Peter said:
Fido said:
I intend to continue bending a few ears about this. But for the time being, I am sticking to balm plus the occasional use of cologne in spray form.[/quote

Good approach. What fragrance do you use?

Only have Tabac After Shave splash which I use as a scent away from the shaved area. All the rest are balms.

Intend to have a sniff at The Gentleman's Shop on Friday. Want to check out Trumpers Wild Fern and a couple of others.

Fido said:
Intend to have a sniff at The Gentleman's Shop on Friday. Want to check out Trumpers Wild Fern and a couple of others.

Please report back.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121700.html">http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121700.html</a><!-- m -->

I have had a look at the basenotes site once or twice and find it to be like reading a Jilly Goolden or Oz Clarke TV script.An example :

"Begins as a sharp fougere with a dark greeness dropping into a soapy clean ferny hillside green. A classic slightly distant impression of country gentleman. It is good and subtle understated stuff which leaves me with a feeling of refinement beneath the level of conscious smell."

What does dark greenness smell like anyway? come to think of it is it much different to ferny hillside green? I can see the value in statements like 'subtle and understated' 'woody, spicy' etc etc but it irks me slightly to have to trawl through some amateurish poem about an aftershave to get into any usable review.
All said I do quite fancy a snifter of the English Fern :lol:

Continuing the 'discussion' about after shave lotions and balms I came across this advice on Mankind's Web site. It's the after shaving section:

5. Rinse
One you’ve finished shaving and your face is still wet, use your fingers to check for any bits you may have missed - it’ll be much easier to spot them at this stage. Then rinse your face thoroughly with cool running water to close pores and remove any shaving residues. This is crucial since if remnants of foams, gels or shaving creams are left on the skin they could cause irritation and drying of the skin. Then pat dry with a clean towel. If you want to make absolutely sure no residues are left it’s at this point that you might like to apply a toner to cleanse, close the pores and refresh the skin. Try Kiehl's Blue Astringent Herbal Lotion which won’t irritate or dry freshly-shaven skin.

6. Protect and survive
If you’re tempted to apply some bracing aftershave to your freshly shaven skin, don’t. Yes, men have been applying aftershave for years but we now know that they have a drying effect on skin thanks to their high alcohol content. By all means, splash some over your chest or on your neck but not on your face where the skin will still be raw and sensitive from shaving.

Instead, protect the skin with an aftershave balm. Shaving, as a process, is akin to exfoliation – it removes the top layers of skin cells. But since the surface of the skin isn’t completely smooth it also leaves tiny ‘microabrasions’ on the surface as the razor passes over microscopic ridges in the skin. These tiny shaving cuts can cause irritation so protecting the skin is essential. Aftershave balms are designed to soothe any razor burn caused by shaving and to moisturise the skin at the same time. Many, like Lab Series Razor Burn Relief also contain ingredients to activate the skin’s natural repair process. Simply apply to your fingertips and gently massage in to the area you’ve just shaved.

And that’s it – the shaving process made simple, comfortable and hopefully enjoyable to boot.

Funny they should end with 'boot'

This advice accords with my Boots' lady consultant and with that given to me by Robert at Hungerford.

That's enough for me on this subject for now. The lawn needs mowing.

Mankind? A bunch of slack-jawed faggots over there - using a splash after shaving will make you a god-damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me. :D

Seriously though, this is an purely a matter of personal choice - I'll use AS or balm as the mood takes me; I'm certainly not going to change my routine. I've been shaving for long enough to know what my skin can take.

Magicpixie said:
Mankind? A bunch of slack-jawed faggots over there - using a splash after shaving will make you a god-damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me. :D

I really think we have been a touch emasculated on this one. I have a few balms and I like using them but not directly after a shave, the idea of sealing my skin with a balm that is usually petrochemical based after I have scraped off a few layers of skin is an odd one.

Like any minor wound or abrasion I like to disinfect it and then get as much air to it as possible, if my skin is a little dry I can quickly do something about it, if I have some razor rash or similar then it can take quite a bit longer to alleviate.

If you are an embalmer and you still have issues with irritation then I recommend a good AS, personally as soon as I gave up using balms straight after a shave my irritation issues quickly disappeared.

antdad said:
I really think we have been a touch emasculated on this one. I have a few balms and I like using them but not directly after a shave, the idea of sealing my skin with a balm that is usually petrochemical based after I have scraped off a few layers of skin is an odd one.

This is a good point and I feel that companies who sell expensive brands of A/S balm will always advise you buy them.It is the same with the creams they sell for ingrown hairs which appears to burn away the layer of skin which is covering the hair! :eek:
It is part of the reason I use a natural balm like Liz Earle's A/S.The other is that I have very sensitive skin and find the chemicals will cause me more irritation.

I've been using Chemical Lad moisturiser/balm from Lush recently and really like it. It does seem to prevent any post-shave itchiness that I sometimes get due to overzealous pursuit of BBS. It has quite a sweet scent but seems not to interfere with any scent I choose to smell of. I'm no expert but I reckon Lush products use less nasties than most, though of course just because something is natural it doesn't necessarily mean it is any good for you!

Oh Dear.

Lush?

Is Lush that place that you can smell from the next town?

Lush?

Come on now chaps, we're on a downward slope in this thread. I'm sure it won't be too long before someone mentions bath milk, lights down, candles, romantic music and chocolate.

Which is all very well for some (girls, mainly), but for me it is just a bit too . . . erm, you know . . .

And for that reason, I'm out.

joe mcclaine said:
Come on now chaps, we're on a downward slope in this thread. I'm sure it won't be too long before someone mentions bath milk, lights down, candles, romantic music and chocolate.

Which is all very well for some (girls, mainly), but for me it is just a bit too . . . erm, you know . . .

And for that reason, I'm out.

All those things are quite nice actually....................................................................... but especially if you're in the bath with your girl :lol:

Good point, well presented.

However, as my BMI is 'butter', the only time me and the Missus can fit into the same body of water is when we have a paddle in the sea at Skegness and candles don't last long over there.

Back
Top Bottom