Bench Polisher fun!...(not a PROPER restore)

As it is a nice sunny day,I thought I would get the bench polisher out for a spin (pun intended!),first up was the case,it was quite bad,originally silver plated (most already gone),but TBH,I prefer these cases in polished brass,second up was the Slim!,I have had the Slim for about a year,but never really got it to how I wanted it,using the normal metal polish by hand style,so...
wysumEh.jpg

ymEcoKG.jpg

hdGbNB1.jpg

Like I said,not a 'proper' restore,but just a couple of pics to show what 5 minutes on a £40 bench polisher can do!.
BTW,the slim was clean,but had quite a dull finish,especially the handle,not now!.

A Shick Hydromagic,It was originally gold plated,well partially,so onto the light buffing wheel for a minute...(this one is far from finished BTW)....

Before....

pdGcqiR.jpg

After...

220Q73C.jpg

V51fhAy.jpg

uYftUJQ.jpg

As you may be able to see,there is a little bit of rust in the back corners that needs removing on the under side (I have only cleaned the under side with a tooth brush,baby bottle brush,pipe cleaners,and metal polish,oh the whole thing was given 15 mins at 50C in an ultrasonic),I should be able to sort it,but I really would like to strip it down,unfortunately,there seems there is a brass pin,holding the head into the handle.Now I could drill it out,but I cannot damage the plastic handle,and the chances are I wouldnt be able to replace the pin....But I am working on it!...LOL!.

Last edited:
Case,manky,didnt shut,loads of plate loss....
Before...
k2OIaas.jpg

RoYdFT0.jpg

After...

dql2C4I.jpg

gmVRsrK.jpg

I gave this case the full works,all 3 polishing mops,2 different compounds,still not finished mind,bit of silver plating needs to come of from around the basket weave,and hinges,Ill either do it with a Dremel and Peek polish,or by hand,when I can actually use my left hand!.(but at least it shuts now!).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!,All I used was a cheap Sainsbury's Homebase 150w grinder (£20),and a 4" metal polishing kit (for a grinder,obviously!) from Ebay.The kit came with 3 mops,2 adaptors,5-6 compounds,microfibre,Vienna lime,basic instructions.I just bolted the grinder onto an old B&D workmate.
I will pop some photo's of it on later ;)

Looks a very reasonable outlay - is that a variable speed motor? - I wouldn't have thought so at that price but I can't quite make out if there are one or two buttons.

Just a couple of pointers for anyone thinking of investing in one of these:

- The Polishing Shop sell just about everything you could need in terms of abrasives, polishing mops and compounds - their service is excellent to boot.
- Beware of heat build up if you use the more aggressive compounds - and remember that the bigger the polishing mop, the faster the surface speed so be careful on plastics and acrylics. The ones shown above look to be about 3" which is fine for most things.

I really like the look of this, particularly as though it looks as though it will double as a Dremel tool too.
http://r.ebay.com/O0Mwp4

Tell me it's not crap?
Unfortunately,for £50,it is way overpriced!,it is only 120w,which means,the lower the wattage,the lighter you have to be,the higher the wattage,the more useful it is,mine is 150w,so with a 4" polishing wheel,I can just about,but only just mind,get away with,very mild metal removal,mild first polish,medium last buff,what I mean by medium/mild is,the pressure you use,on the work piece to the wheel...And dont forget,you need to add £20 for the conversion kit,which I doubt that one would even take....And most of the bits in that set you would never use when it comes to restoring razors...
What you want is one of these,for £18...
http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb519grb-150mm-bench-grinder-240v/93157
Now be aware,these spin in reverse,so when you buy,this kit....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bench-Gri...2-BGK0-4001-/291410456579?hash=item43d96ab003
The left spindle would go on the right hand side,and the right spindle would go on the left hand side,power switch facing you...The wheels going upwards,instead of downwards,unlike most modern grinders do.The way to rectify that,is to use the grinder,once it has become a polisher,BACK TO FRONT,so the power switch is pointing away from you...
And PLEASE,be very careful!,even a low powered machine like this can rip an item out of your hand without a problem!,it takes a bit of polishing practice,with one polishing tool or another,to become proficient at it!.AND WEAR GLASSES!,the compound,and bits of buffing wheel,go straight in your face!.

Please dont forget,these things spin at nigh on 3000rpm...

The closest Ebay find was this one,I dont know which way the wheels turn mind...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rhyas-150...nch-Grinder-/351185318524?hash=item51c446b27c

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom