Bench Polisher fun!...(not a PROPER restore)

Looks a very reasonable outlay - is that a variable speed motor? - I wouldn't have thought so at that price but I can't quite make out if there are one or two buttons.

Just a couple of pointers for anyone thinking of investing in one of these:

- The Polishing Shop sell just about everything you could need in terms of abrasives, polishing mops and compounds - their service is excellent to boot.
- Beware of heat build up if you use the more aggressive compounds - and remember that the bigger the polishing mop, the faster the surface speed so be careful on plastics and acrylics. The ones shown above look to be about 3" which is fine for most things.
Well said UKRob,there is only an on/off switch on mine,and the mops are 4",but worn down a bit since yesterday!.
I would also like to add,if you are thinking of using one of these on a straight,and never used an electrical polisher before,DONT!,It takes quite a bit of practice to keep the heat down,and if a straight gets too hot...its done for!.
The straight shown in the pic above,is a dud!,I had nothing to loose by polishing it!,but even running the back of the straight,on the sisal mop for just a few seconds,warmed it up...on the blade,flat side?,even quicker,and that was having some experience of electrical polishers,and being careful not to let it get too warm (I kept a close eye on mine,pic's below) ...Not to mention what could happen if the blade caught....Even relatively blunt,it would come flying at you at 3000rpm,so go figure...
I beg you all,BE CAREFUL!,and practice on other less harmful old stuff first....Please!.

Last edited:
The old straight...No befores Im afraid!...

ekUlpIG.jpg

fVcxBpe.jpg

Not great,just another experiment!.A rusty garden shed find!,but a couple of vintage water stone's were with it too...Another skill I need to learn!.

Last edited:
The old straight...No befores Im afraid!...

ekUlpIG.jpg

fVcxBpe.jpg

Not great,just another experiment!.A rusty garden shed find!,but a couple of vintage water stone's were with it too...Another skill I need to learn!.
You have a very old razor there in what look to be genuine tortoiseshell scales. From the shape and tiny monkey tail I'd say it's in the 1820 - 30 period. It really should be restored properly - at the moment it looks like a polished turd.

You have a very old razor there in what look to be genuine tortoiseshell scales. From the shape and tiny monkey tail I'd say it's in the 1820 - 30 period. It really should be restored properly - at the moment it looks like a polished turd.
I have no idea exactly how old it is,it was found in a garden shed,broken,and rusted,and pitted beyond belief.So IMO,as a 'practice' piece,learning to polish it,without heating it up,it came up pretty well,it certainly looks better than what it did!.Like I said,its a freebie practice piece.The scales are broken too.So it may well look like a shiny turd,but as far as I am concerned, I have learnt something from the experience,that money couldn't buy,and FYI I unfortunately cannot afford to send it off to be 'properly' restored.
But thanks for the info anyway!.

Last edited:
Who said anything about it costing money? I'll take it on and try and restore it to something like original condition - it will not cost you a penny. The only thing I ask is for you not to do any more polishing.
WOW!,what can I say?,'thanks' just doesn't seem to be enough really!.You are more than welcome to have a go at it!.I'll stick to old DE's,and cases for now. TBH,I only really hand polish,or for something really bad,the Dremel, anyway,but as I cannot use my left hand,apart from as a tool rest,I thought I would give the big polisher a go.
Let me know when you want it!.And.....Thanks!.

Pm sent. I'm looking forward to this one as that style of razor - while not rare, is a lovely example of the way straights developed.
TBH,it is quite a strange shape,the curvature of the blade that is,normally,straight's,seem to be 'straight' (the cutting edge),but this one has a definite curve to it,so I will be intrigued to what you make of it!.now I think of it,TBH ,I don't think I have seen a vintage one with a curve to the cutting edge on the 'bay before,so any info you can impart,will also be well appreciated!.
Now be easy on me Rob!,I know nothing about straights,but,I am a VERY keen learner!.
Still trying to figure out whether it is a 'Dick-Inson',or a 'Dickinson' though...o_O

TBH,it is quite a strange shape,the curvature of the blade that is,normally,straight's,seem to be 'straight' (the cutting edge),but this one has a definite curve to it,so I will be intrigued to what you make of it!.now I think of it,TBH ,I don't think I have seen a vintage one with a curve to the cutting edge on the 'bay before,so any info you can impart,will also be well appreciated!.
Now be easy on me Rob!,I know nothing about straights,but,I am a VERY keen learner!.
Still trying to figure out whether it is a 'Dick-Inson',or a 'Dickinson' though...o_O
Having been away for a few days I only picked this up yesterday - the good news is that it's in better condition than the photos suggest - the bad news is that it's not a shaving razor. It's a corn razor - and a small one at that. I'll try and do something with the broken scales but then leave it as is. It's much too small to even attempt using for shaving - and I assume you have no need for it's original purpose.

Damn! That's some good work there.
Have you worked out how to straighten a wonky NEW tooth? I have one that needs your touch.

"Take a flat blade jewelers screwdriver and wrap the end with a layer of tape. Push it in the slot with the bent tooth and make the flat sit in the 90 degree angle made by the neighboring straight tooth. That's your fulcrum point. Gently push on the bent tooth with the blade firmly jammed in the fulcrum. Works every time for me, but I've got lots of hands-on mechanical experience."

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/456572-Fixing-bent-tooth

Back
Top Bottom