Best soap under a fiver

:lol: :lol: Rangers, until someone starts manufacturing a soap stick that's inexpensive, good and bright orange (Taylor's of Old Boyne Street?), you'll just have to convince yourself that Palmolive's a different shade of blue. ;)

Naked Ape said:
hunnymonster said:
A Soappository :? :lol:

:lol:

Joking aside, SlimJim, it was PigCat and Arrowhead who suggested it. I think quite a few people here grate the green. Works well.

I don't remember suggesting such an unholey act. It doesn't ring any bells. I'll have to take a look back in the anals of TSR history. My entry may be very deep indeed.

:? :eek: :roll:

hunnymonster said:
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=107&p=1011&hilit=palmolive#p1011

Whoa there! Two minutes is fast. Then again at least 50% of my posts are me advising others to try Palmolive shave sticks because they represent excellent value and are a great introduction to shaving soap. You could probably have chosen at random and got lucky. ;)

Pigcat, obviously your memory is as rusty as a sheriff's badge: check your PMs and you'll find that you told me that as soon as I'd finished packing the stick into a recepticle, I should stick it where the sun doesn't shine (something to do with preserving the colour, I think).

Naked Ape said:
Pigcat, obviously your memory is as rusty as a sheriff's badge: check your PMs and you'll find that you told me that as soon as I'd finished packing the stick into a recepticle, I should stick it where the sun doesn't shine (something to do with preserving the colour, I think).

Ah yes I've found my quote now, just after the bit where I suggested that even though it's inexpensive it produces a very slick lather: "It lubricates well and will suit anyone that's tight." :? :eek:

Pig Cat said:
Naked Ape said:

Ah yes I've found my quote now, just after the bit where I suggested that even though it's inexpensive it produces a very slick lather: "It lubricates well and will suit anyone that's tight." :? :eek:

Alimentary really!

Naked Ape said:
Palmolive stick is pretty decent.

To call Palmolive pretty decent would not be doing it justice....

It's obscenely good considering the price! :p

I would go as far as to say........

....it's as good as Tabac, without the fusty musty old man smell (which I do like by the way, on occasion...)

It's FAR better than the terrible Erasmic (yes, even the tallow version).

John

jhclare said:
To call Palmolive pretty decent would not be doing it justice....
It's obscenely good considering the price! :p

Well, I picked up a stick a couple of days ago, and here are my observations:

first of all, I don't appreciate the 'rub the stick on your face' part. It may be that these things get softer in use, from picking up water, but my first time face-rubbing was way less than comfortable. Not something that I would willingly include in my normal routine.
Secondly, while the scent isn't repulsive, it is way too soapy-cheap to be truly agreeable, to me. I'm not a fan of Tabac (not by a long shot), but I would much prefer it, scent-wise, over Palmolive.

Having said all that, the lather is indeed pretty decent ;-)

The key to the lather, I guess, is the use of only hydrogenated tallow and coconut acids as soap base.

henkverhaar said:
I don't appreciate the 'rub the stick on your face' part. It may be that these things get softer in use, from picking up water, but my first time face-rubbing was way less than comfortable. Not something that I would willingly include in my normal routine.

It's definitely best used grated in to a bowl.

Oh, and I agree it is not the most sophisticated smell, but there is something very pleasing about it.

Pig Cat said:
Oh, and I agree it is not the most sophisticated smell, but there is something very pleasing about it.

Yup. Prefer Palmolive's scent to Tabac's, but Tabac's lather to Palmolive's. Maybe I could grate some Palmolive stick, shove a few shavings up my nostrils, then lather up with Tabac? Hmmmm ... snot a bad idea. (Yeah, alright: Taxi!)

Pig Cat said:

Yup. You smell it and it reminds you that you are getting a decent shave and the stick only cost pennies!

Ian

IanM said:
Pig Cat said:

Yup. You smell it and it reminds you that you are getting a decent shave and the stick only cost pennies!

Ian

True - I find it somewhat comforting, as is the Palmolive cream.... my dad always used it and I guess it has those nostalgic associations! I'm finding Proraso soap the same, not a fancy scent, but very clean and barbershop (whatever that means).

Back
Top Bottom