Best/Worst buy of 2016?

Best buy- Phoenix and Beau shave balm.
Worst buy- D.R. Harris Arlington.

The balm is simply amazing, will not shave without it now, perfect finish to a shave.

The Arlington had a very bad reaction with me almost going to A+E, I should get rid of it but it was a present to myself and I love the smell! Not that I ever use it, just smell the puck...

Soap: Lightfoots Pure Pine Aromatic Shave Soap - Nice scent but that's all there is going for it, only a fiver but terrible. Honourable mentions for P&B Baskerville, hated the scent on first sniff which was a massive disappointment for me.

Ha, I had that one once - might be the worst soap I've ever used.
Honorary mentions as far a 'worst soaps ever' goes to "Swedish Dream Sea Salt soap" and "Scottish Fine Soap - Classic Male grooming"

Ha, I had that one once - might be the worst soap I've ever used.
Honorary mentions as far a 'worst soaps ever' goes to "Swedish Dream Sea Salt soap" and "Scottish Fine Soap - Classic Male grooming"

I'm not surprised. A lot of things which have a country adjective are a bit here and there. I usually group them with those called "Ye Olde Englyssche..something", and similar names.

To the point, I don't think I've had any "Worsts" this year, though some things haven't met best expectations. On the " glass half full" principle, others have been a very pleasant surprise.

Per Ardua ad Astra.

I keep telling myself I don't buy much anymore but:
Best Buys - cased 1912 Sun Ray; cased and unused English Gem Peerless; Yardley Black Label shaving soap; Yardley Black Label soap (not shaving); vintage Kouros edt, soap, shower gel and aftershave; vintage Fahrenheit edt.
Worst - I can't think of anything at all :D:D

Okay, I didn't like the scent, I didn't like the heavy residue it left, I didn't care for the 'afterburn'. It was however, as slick as snails shit, I'll give you that.
Fair, the scent is a little strange. Kind of reminds me of a steam room? You're right it does leave some stuff left over but I think that's from being slicker than an oil spill. Trial and error and all that!

Okay, I didn't like the scent, I didn't like the heavy residue it left, I didn't care for the 'afterburn'. It was however, as slick as snails shit, I'll give you that.

Sometimes a product grows on you. Happened to me with Proraso Aloe Cream.
Or it doesn't.

As 2016 was my first full year of coming from the Fusion Cartridge/Nivea Gel shaves, I acquired a lot of stuff.

GOOD:
Semogue 830
pinaud Clubman AS
Alpa Windsor AS
Alt Innsbruck EdT
Lotion Opaline Splash
LaToja Cream (feels like beeing at the mediteranian sea)
STIRLING scots pine & Mountain Man & Ozark Mountain Soap,
Progress 500 (although mine is asymmetrical - which can be used as an advantage)
Rotbart Mond Extra 15
Option Five ( best DE newcomer )
Slim Adjustable (they dont make em like that any more)

BAD:
MÜHLE M89 STF Brush, my most expensive brush yet but too small knot and loft, too heavy handle, fibres splash everything although feeling nice.. but it looks superb in the holder together with R41 :)
LaToja AS (gave it away, rather kept Hattric)
Nivea ASB sensitive
Dovo Shavette Aluminium (aka Skin-slicer)
Cella Soap
Proraso Red and Green Soap

Most stuff I bought just works, w/o giving reason for enthusiasm nor anger, like 37C, Parker 87R, Schick Injectors I2 and L1, flaretip and Rocket HD, Bic Blades, Wilkinson Cream, Nivea Sensitive Cream (found in Romania), .....

Nothing for me in good buy category this year.

Leresche 77 was worst thing that happened to me. My Face looked and felt terrible for 3 days after the shave
leresche 77 is a bit of a beast if not careful. i cut myself pretty bad on my 3rd or 4th shave with mine-got a little over confident =/
best thing i have had this year is a personna TTO, looks like the offspring of an illicit affair between a gillette knack and a schick krona. cheap, uncommon and shaves fantastically well.
worst? well i have bought a few shocking razors of ebay.fr, chance you take when you dont speak the lingo!

Back
Top Bottom