Birth Year Razors - sought & available

In the market for a DE razor 1951. I don't know enough about them to quote any particular make, but I want one in good, usable condition. I've had a look on ebay and there are a few to be had, Gillette mostly, but they all seem to be for sale in the USA and I'm a bit wary of buying from the States regarding hidden taxes etc! So if anyone has one for sale for not silly money please let me know. Thanks.

Razor available: W4 Black tip Gillette c/w case in good nick.
(Pm if you need pictures)

Ideally (but unlikely) looking for an M1 Gillette of some sort with case

Happy to swap, however unlikely, or sell the W4 if anyone's searching for one

Cheers
Andy

mrdoodge said:
In the market for a DE razor 1951. I don't know enough about them to quote any particular make, but I want one in good, usable condition. I've had a look on ebay and there are a few to be had, Gillette mostly, but they all seem to be for sale in the USA and I'm a bit wary of buying from the States regarding hidden taxes etc! So if anyone has one for sale for not silly money please let me know. Thanks.

If you buy under £35 delivered there should not be any hidden charges. The postal cost given from the US, especially if posting via USPS, is usually what you pay for the delivery.

I've had 3 razors from the US now, none of them expensive, all of them 'as described' and all cost me what the check out fee came to :)

According to this US site's wiki you have a few to choose from for the year 1951 :)

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

TRXnMe said:
you buy under £35 delivered there should not be any hidden charges. The postal cost given from the US, especially if posting via USPS, is usually what you pay for the delivery.

The allowance for items outside of the EU is £15 for import VAT, which they will apply to the p&p charge also, as I found out, import VAT is 20% but this incurs the much maligned £8 Royal Mail handling fee, if you get the white card. You are right in saying that in general the declared lower value items get through unhindered but it is something to be aware of, you may get a jobsworth processing your package! Some of us have had higher value items slip through, it really is pot luck. Excise duty isn't payable until a value of £135 pounds but the website states that this is generally waived if the calculated duty is less than £9.

See, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm#1

Scott.

TRXnMe said:
mrdoodge said:

If you buy under £35 delivered there should not be any hidden charges. The postal cost given from the US, especially if posting via USPS, is usually what you pay for the delivery.

I've had 3 razors from the US now, none of them expensive, all of them 'as described' and all cost me what the check out fee came to :)

According to this US site's wiki you have a few to choose from for the year 1951 :)

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

Thanks for the info, will take a look at said wiki site.

mrdoodge said:

In case you're confused about years, quarters and these odd letter number combinations we bander about, check out: http://gillettedatecodes.com

You want a W ... W is also 1976, so watch out.

If you wind up with a W with an embossed head and a light aluminium handle, it'll be a 1976. If it's a plain head and solid feeling handle, it's more likely a 1951.

The 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 that people talk about are quarters, so 1 is January through March, 2 April through June, etc. If you want to be exact, you can pick your quarter as well.

Happy hunting ... hope something turns up for you.

pjgh said:
mrdoodge said:

In case you're confused about years, quarters and these odd letter number combinations we bander about, check out: http://gillettedatecodes.com

You want a W ... W is also 1976, so watch out.

If you wind up with a W with an embossed head and a light aluminium handle, it'll be a 1976. If it's a plain head and solid feeling handle, it's more likely a 1951.

The 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 that people talk about are quarters, so 1 is January through March, 2 April through June, etc. If you want to be exact, you can pick your quarter as well.

Happy hunting ... hope something turns up for you.

Thanks for the info, I'm learning all the time ;) 1951 W is good as that is my surname initial as well. I'm sure something will turn up. What sort of money should I be expecting? £30+

I spotted this while browsing around the bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-1951-GILLETTE-SAFTY-RAZOR-DATE-CODE-W-2-GOOD-WORKING-ORDER-/121210066717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c38aed71d

Second quarter of 1951

Just seen this thread after putting up a separate thread with a query. Anyway I'm looking for a 1927 and a 1981 DE razor in good useable condition, if anyone has any that they're willing to sell or could point me in the right direction. No preferences on make or model as I don't know enough about the , though I guess a made in England model if possible would be better. Thanks

mrdoodge said:

If you're looking for 1951, you should search for the "black-tip Super Speed". It was only made for 2 years, 1951 and 1952; in 2 different handles, aluminium or steel. Just confirm that the one you get has a W date code. That should help to refine your search.

Our lad popped round the other night and seemed really interested in picking up proper shaving - he's pigged off with ingrowers and the expense of cartridges.

Looking at what I have, I can put him together a good kit but I would like to give him a birth year razor - 1984, so E1 if possible. I gather we're down to only a few choices, the Slim Twist, there's a long handle TTO (G1000?), Sterling (nah!) and a black handled Superspeed potentially. Does anyone have a really late one they'd be happy to part with or know of someone who has something suitable?

Alternatively, he did take a liking to my MÜHLE R89 JET. Anyone want to part with theirs? LOOK! A FLYING PIG! :D

So, 1984 E1 ...

Back
Top Bottom