Blade life

I've only been using DE blades for a week but, unless I've been very unlucky, it's already apparent I'm only getting 2 shaves to a blade before it starts to tug on my bristles. Of course I'm not using the the most exotic blades possible, simply supermarket Personnas.

My explanation for this is that either:
(1) I have rather tough bristles,
(2) The blades I've been buying are not so good,
(3) My technique of pre shave bristle softening is not so good,
(I just rinse with warm water)
(4) My post shave blade maintenance routine is not so good.
(I just rinse the razor head in cold water and then shake it a bit)

Can't do anything about 1, I could buy more expensive blades but these are the ones most commonly available without resorting to the internet. I really don't want to extend my routine too much further with the likes of hot towels and pre shave potions, but I will give it a go if anyone has used anything that has noticeably improved matters in this area. Regarding point 4, I've seen a thread on post shave blade maintenance where some of you dry it and one chap dunked it in alcohol; has anyone measured the effects of such efforts? I notice that Razorpit thing polished one side of the blade and was claimed to have some effect. I don't want to use anything too abrasive or I'll remove the plating from the head of my razor, any other way to "polish" the cutting edge of a DE blade?

Probably the best thing you can do regarding pre-shave prep is shave after you have had a shower or bath, it will be better preparation than just rinsing with warm water.

Could be all of the above, but you're way overthinking this, as far as trying to 'sharpen' blades. Blades don't need any 'maintenance' they're consumable items. People who remove and clean blades that are only going to last less than a week of shaves anyway are crippled with OCD and should hang out on US forums where they will find comfort in huddles with like minded worriers.

Really, a blade lasts as long as it lasts for you. Trying to extend the life for an extra shave or two is pointless at this price level, and you're being very premature blaming the tools when you're only a few shaves in. Longevity may change as your technique improves, and you should do a bit more prep (a good wash and splash with hot water is all I do) and practice lather - this is the single biggest friend the newb DE shaver has.

Even so, I generally get 3 from Astra and 4-5 from Israeli Personna. Even if you're only getting two, you're still way out in front over the cost of carts. The most expensive DE blades aren't always best, but most supermarket blades will be crap. Resort to the internet. There are plenty of places where you can get blade sampler packs for cheap, find out what works for you then buy in 100s, and you're set for a long while.

Hi Eco
+1 above.

well you can 'palm strop' your blades
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc

Which I do when using some of may razors

Or you can use a pre shave oil like King of shaves or Nuage or a cream like Lush Prince shave cream and lather right on top.

I shave after a shower or I really give my bristles a good rub with a little hand soap.
maybe you need a little more of a pre shave to soften dem bristles!
Cheers
Slikki

Drubbing said:
People who remove and clean blades that are only going to last less than a week of shaves anyway are crippled with OCD and should hang out on US forums where they will find comfort in huddles with like minded worriers.

:-D Well that's a very forthright position to take Drubbing. And I understand your sentiment, ;-) my only concern is that I'm not getting full value for my blade by not treating it properly. I take the position that If I can get 3 shaves with a disposable Bic razor which costs 15p, plastic handle and all then a single DE blade of what I'd hope would be superior quality should manage the same.

Of course it is giving me a fabulous shave, far more so than the Bic, but I want more, more I tell you! :) And I do so worry that I'm not doing something quite right; it has been known. ;-)

May I ask what you do with your razor post shave Drubbing. Do you shake it or towel it off ?

The Personna's are a good middle of the road blade, but i couldn't get more than three decent shaves out of one before binning it and even the third shave was a struggle.

Without getting a sample pack to highlight how varied different types of blades perform (some drastically) you are fairly limited with what you can get hold of from the high street.

Blade maintenance.... shave with it, rinse it, repeat till blunt and ditch it.

A few points.
1. I think your prep has a lot to do with it, if you don't have a bath/shower before you shave then after splashing your face with hot ( well as hot as you can stand) water rub a bit of your shaving soap/cream onto your face and massage it in. While you are building your lather with your brush this will help to soften the bristles a bit.
All supermarket blades are not crap, some are better than others, but all are made for them by one of the big guys........i.e. Mr Boots does not make his own blades in a shed somewhere...........think Moodymick posted who makes what for who?
2. You have not told us what you use, soap/cream, blades and razor.
3. I always but always take the blade out of the razor after using it, especially if I use and open comb razor and give the blade a quick swish in the sink to remove the gunk off it. Then I clean the razor with the lather that is left on the brush dry the razor and leave it to one side until the next shave. This neither anal or ocd just common sense as it keeps the razor clean. This will not prolong the life of the blade at all I should add.
I think with better prep and a bit more practise you will see better results.
4. Try a sample pack from Paul at Connaught they are not too expensive and you may find a blade that suits your shaving style/face as we are all different.
Hope this helps.
Steve

Drubbing Wrote:
People who remove and clean blades that are only going to last less than a week of shaves anyway are crippled with OCD and should hang out on US forums where they will find comfort in huddles with like minded worriers.

I am not even going to comment on that post...............:p:p:p

If you're like me and have a tough beard, a splash with warm water is not enough prep. As I'm disabled, taking a shower before shaving isn't really do-able, so my routine is to wash my face with glycerine soap and then wet my flannel in really hot water, and hold it over the area for 2-3 minutes, re-wetting it in the basin as it cools. Then, which ever method you use to generate lather, work it into the beard with circular motions for at least a minute, preferably two.

Evening gents,

I'm using a Gillette slim with my persona blades at the moment but another forumer has kindly offered to send me a sample of blades so I can try a few out and see how it goes. The benefit of my Gillette is that I can change the aggresiveness of the shaver to test that as well. I'm operating it on 3 / 4 at the moment.

I don't have time for a shower before I shave as I shave at home and then cycle the 15 miles to work before taking my shower. I've got some MWF soap ordered so I'll augment my initial rinse with a good soaping :)

Edited to add: Oh, and I'm using a Palmolive soap stick at the moment.

I tend to only use my favourite Gillettes for a maximum of 3 shaves but then at 10p a blade I get about a month of shaving for a pound, so I can't say that I've ever thought about it too much. Blade maintenance? Na, I'm good thanks.

Certainly a hot shower should be a basic bit of prep, you might find that makes a lot of difference. (Edit: I see you cycle to work and therefore shower there, but a cold, sleepy face never shaves well. So: Shower at work and THEN shave there. Or, shave at night as you go to bed after a hot bath or shower. Makes you sleep well too.)

Drubbing gets the "post of the week" award for his description of the "worriers", I genuinely laughed out loud. Bit of a "spirit of Vinny" about that post.

I certainly found the Boots blades to have about half the life of, say, a Gillette Yellow. I also agree with other comments that washing with soap or other (I like the Bulldog wash you can get in most supermarkets) before you start improves the whole business, and for me gives as good a shave as a pre-shower.

^^ Yeah and I think what Mantic said was right, at least do something to prep as it'll always be better than nothing. Even a 1 minute hot face wash with soap or a facial scrub is better than just a splash with water.

I prefer to use personna blades and other israeli blades. I get about 6-7 shaves from mine. Aparently I have tough beard with soft skin. At least that is what the bloke in trumpers said. I used to get 3/4 shaves from my blades. I don't clean them after use, just a rinse and shake. Also I get 6/7 shaves when I don't shave after a shower.
I think my increase blade life comes from, better prep. Making sure the beard is soft, whether after a shower or not. And from better shaving technique, mainly angle I think. I will also mention, that I sometimes only do 2 and a but passes. I change my blades once a week, but could get more from them as I was still getting 6/7 shaves when doing a 3 pass plus touch up shaves.

NatJag said:
I prefer to use personna blades and other israeli blades. I get about 6-7 shaves from mine. Aparently I have tough beard with soft skin. At least that is what the bloke in trumpers said. I used to get 3/4 shaves from my blades. I don't clean them after use, just a rinse and shake. Also I get 6/7 shaves when I don't shave after a shower.
I think my increase blade life comes from, better prep. Making sure the beard is soft, whether after a shower or not. And from better shaving technique, mainly angle I think. I will also mention, that I sometimes only do 2 and a but passes. I change my blades once a week, but could get more from them as I was still getting 6/7 shaves when doing a 3 pass plus touch up shaves.

Well that number of shaves from a blade is extremely good going, but Eco, if you follow the advice given of better prep* and assume that your shaving technique will improve, then you are bound to get more life out of each blade in the near future. Oh yes, and Natjag has a point about the number of passes you make, as of course every stroke wears the blade, so being more efficient or just happy not to aim for BBS each time will help too.

* If not a shower then hot wet flannel

ecoshaver said:
:-D Well that's a very forthright position to take Drubbing. And I understand your sentiment, ;-) my only concern is that I'm not getting full value for my blade by not treating it properly. I take the position that If I can get 3 shaves with a disposable Bic razor which costs 15p, plastic handle and all then a single DE blade of what I'd hope would be superior quality should manage the same.

Mate, your issue isn't needing to find a way to sharpen blades - not that the practice of stropping will do that. If you can shave with a Bic, which has the cutting angle pre-set, you can learn to replicate that angle with a DE - which sits at a different angle in relation to your face. Your issue is addressing your technique, lather, and finding a blade that better suits you.

It's far to early to tell if the blade is at fault here. When you're learning they can all feel the same - some rougher than others, but performance wise you might not see any difference, til you get handier with your razor.

Back
Top Bottom