Blade life

Well thanks for all the input chaps. I shall endeavour to refine my shaving technique; hadn't considered angle as a detrimental factor to blade life, good information. :)

I am now doing a pre shave routine of a quick face lathering (with my prickly brush, the 'orse is still galloping through the postal service) and then leaving it on to soak into them there bristles while I build a decent volume of lather in a bowl.

I'm performing three passes in the various directions plus touch up on the bits I missed so the blade is getting a full workout, potentially at a sub optimal angle as mentioned.

I'll see how it goes the following 2 days. It was a fantastically close shave again, so I don't have anything to actually complain about. ;-)

Crikey Drubbing was sooo right about palm stropping blades.
This morning I slipped and ....
WHOA!!!!!
man+head+hand+cut+off+accident.JPG

Yrs Slick

I'm performing three passes

Yeah that will cut down the number of shaves per blade, as PigCat said above. It's always going to be a trade off, loads of passes plus BBS against longevity of blades and thrift. I'm happy with 2 passes, not because I'm thrifty, but because 2 is plenty for a workday comfortable shave. You'll get more efficient with a little time, it's a skill you do get better at.

Slick: In the nicest possible way, you are mental. :p

Drubbing said:
Slick said:
Hi Eco
+1 above.

well you can 'palm strop' your blades
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc

I disagree. I think it pointless and dangerous. Stropping DE blades is a modern myth from the days when DE blades were quite poor, uncoated, and made of softer carbon steel, and there was some value to doing it.

Not entirely correct. Historic DE blades weren't 'poor', and were made from carbon steel, which is, if anything, harder than most current stainless steels. The main difference is that historic blades where much thicker than current blades, so were more amenable to stropping and honing.

I agree with 'Echoshaver'. I find that it by using the different settings on an adjustable shaver, like the Gillette, that blades seem to last longer. I usually start at '2' for the first pass, move to '4' for the second and them '6' for the final pass. The blade my be duller as the week goes on but you may be asking it to do 'less' with each pass. It seems this way to me... Ideas?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.109479,-75.944247

Hi Johnus, yeah I've been paying particular attention to both the blade setting and the angle of the shaver head to the bristles with a view to extending the life of my blades by improving my technique. The previous three attempts with this particular blade and I felt as though the blade was distinctly pulling at the hairs by the 3'rd day so I'll see if running it with more attention to detail is helping. I've also improved my prep with a pre shave lathering, so it'll be a matter of the combination of things.
I also change the settings during the shave, (I've read of a few people doing this on forums around the world) but I am not so sure about the logic of this, upon reflection. I have previously done as you did and run the first pass with a lower setting. However, this tends to be with the grain anyway, perhaps having this at a lower setting is the wrong way around?
At the moment I'm simply leaving it at 4 and seeing if I can refine technique while everything else stays the same, it might be easier for my poor confused brain to cope ;-)

If its any consolation ..I get one shave from most blades ..Derby ..astra ..wilkinson etc..I don't find them particularly smooth either.........and I can only get three shaves out of a feather blade before it starts to drag big time.......I've personally never had much luck with supermarket blades either..the worst for me were Laser from Wilkies ....which I thought I'd try..as you do..didn't even finish the shave with that one..
so consequently I tend to stick with Feathers..my favourite blade to date....

I agree with the advice given by chrisbell about the hot flannel...nothing better for softening tough whiskers...

Crikey Goldcrest, only 1 shave! Well I'm managing a little more than that so I guess I shouldn't complain ;-)

I've always had fairly tough bristles myself which is why I think I have never got on with cartridges.

I was tempted by the marketing of that Bluebeards stuff, which is claimed to be aimed at those with tough beards but that hair growth blocking chemical they have in it gives me the willies! :-|

If extending blade life is a concern crank the setting right up to 9, that way you will only need one pass ergo extending the life of the blade.

This was the fourth day on the same blade. No sensation of tugging what so ever.
Hard to pin down what was the winning factor though as I literally changed everything other than the razor and the blade. :) There's no denying that it didn't feel quite the same as the new crisp blade from the first day though, so I'm going to take that 10p hit and change the blades every 3 days anyway ;-)

I would suggest a few points:

• Try some other blades, Superthin would be my recommendation
  • If you don't shower before the shave, get some proraso pre/post and rub that on yer fizzer 5 mins before you lather up
  • Ditch the adjustable for now and concentrate on your technique rather than the razor setting

You will find an equilibrium at some point with a blade which works for you and your technique. Once you hit that stage then I would start playing around with the adjustable. Stick with it though it will come.

The worst blades to use are Lazer. I have been using Derby, Israeli Personna, Wilkinson Sword Classic, and Dorco 301 (Superdrug).

I used Dorco 301 for the first time today and it was better than Personna, in that it felt smoother. I usually find that most blades last around 4 shaves with 2 passes per shave.

Generally, short strokes and frequent rinsing in warm water should make the blade work best. I also flip the blade over after the 2nd day's use.

To Drubbing, I felt the same way/still do, but I recently bought a small Keen Kutter in it's original package with instructions. You guessed it, the instruction for clean up included 'Palm Stropping' with a picture of how to do it. Never thought i'd see it on instructions right from the factory!

Back
Top Bottom