Boar War

I'm off to Filson Outfitters in Seattle to purchase a wool coat. Their business motto is "Might as well have the best". Filson.com.

There is a huge difference in time between us, but what are your thoughts, of a man who wants a fine boar brush, of purchasing a 1305? I've used many boar brushes in my life, just never knew what you called them by numbers --- they didn't have numbers. VDH and other chaep boars. Badgers are fine and I've graduated to the feel and touch; NF are my benchmarks.

But a Semouge 2000 is on the way. I just want that 1305 and it isn't expensive. I like the traditional colors and the companys quality and reputation. Recent experience last 5 months since joining TSR, is a 620 and 404 half breed. I would be interested in what you have to say. Perhaps I should wait or there is another brush I should take a look at. Maybe give the 2000 a run out and stuff the money in the mattress to apply for another quality brush.

I'll be back later tonight and hopefully I 'll have some comments to read. Newcomers should take a read as well and throw in questions. The gentleman Ids, got one for Christmas, so I'll post to him or hopefully he will have read this.

Off to Emerald City. I'm loving vacation freedom.

Warm Regards, Robert

Have been meaning to try out a boar brush, but am trying to thin out my shaving stocks. So all you boar users what is the attraction and if I want to go down that rocky road what would be a good start point?

Ivan's the authority on boar brushes I think. For a cheap effective boar to try out, the Omega Pro 49 is pretty good. As regards a really top notch one, I'm still mightily impressed with the Semogue 2009 LE, which is obviously not going to be an easy item to come by. The Semogue Owners' Club brush was billed as a near equivalent, but I'm not sure whether that was a semi - limited edition or not. If it's available that may be a candidate.

Hi Robert,

As far as boar brushes go I have two, I don't know whether they would be classed as 'top of the class' boar brushes but they must be pretty close. The first one I got was an Omega 31064, a good performer and soft tips but it has huge loft and lacks any real backbone. Since trying face lathering I've never gone back to the bowl and the Omega is on the verge of being too floppy and too big for me.

The second boar I have is a SOC, which I like a lot but still feel it's not yet reached its peak. I really like the handle, this might be because I am getting increasingly tired of living in a world made of plastic. The tips aren't as soft at the Omega but they might soften with more use and the SOC has more backbone.

Here's a pic for comparison:
Boar-Brushes.jpg

I'd like to try a 1305 or rather the 1800 ( I think it's the same brush with a natural wood finish on the handle) and might at some point pick one up, the one thing with most of the boar brushes is that they are relatively inexpensive so experimenting isn't such an issue. The 1305 would seem to cover the middle ground between your 620 and the 2000 so that might be reason enough to get one ;)

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the 2000, I wonder if it will perform more like my Omega with its high loft and big knot.

If your 2000 is anything like my SOC it might take a while to break in, but if it's more like my Omega then you'll probably be off to a flying start,

Best wishes,

Chris

I'd echo Chris on his comments about the SOC (see the separate thread I started about mine ... ) and the time it takes to break in. I got a 1305 for Christmas, I lathered it three times before using it and it had a second use tonight, and easily supplied enough lather for two generous passes. Here's a pic of them both (the 1305 was new at the time), the handles are both very different but I like them both in equal measure.

1305a.jpg

I've an omega 18000 or something and I always wonder why anybody would spend big bucks on a badger (except out of curiosity). That said, there is a chubby in the mail with my name on it so I reserve the right to change my opinion.

I've used it everyday for about a month now and it gets better with every shave. I woundn't even say it is scratchy. It's got a really nice feel to it now and lathers (to my neophyte mug) quite nicely.

Might as well have the best, but the best is not necessarily the most expensive. Perhaps the best in this case would be the shaving brush equivalent of a pea coat from Federal Army and Navy on 1st.

If you're going to Filson, pick me up a pair of tin pants, would ya?

Enough for 2 passes? This baby can hold enough for 4.
But does it have soft tips? Soft as a baby's bottom.
Hmmm and what about backbone? Enough backbone and chin to withstand an Ali onslaught.
How does it look? It looks good and you can choose a black, white, red or blue handle.
What's the break-in period like? 3 shaves
This sounds too good to be true. If I get it, will it still be working in a weeks time? Been using mine for a year and it looks like it did after the 5th shave.
And you're going to charge an arm and a leg for it? You'll have change from a tenner!
Oh yeah sunshine, and now you're going to tell me it comes with a free stand, right? It certainly does.

Omega 81064/men-u boar brush as found in boots for under a tenner.

This is what did it for me....
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35880&highlight=boar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... light=boar</a><!-- m -->

Sounds like I should bin my badger brushes and buy a Men-U boar.

Zach's certainly right about a couple of things, boars brushes are good value and you will use more product as you have to return to the soap time after time or load a bucket full of cream upside down so you don't contaminate it, that's because you need to compensate for a boar's lack of ability to hold enough water by allowing it to dribble everywhere like a rabid dog. But wait, that's an advantage because apparently you are so dim you might miss the sweet spot when creating lather with badger so you need to stand there like B.S.E Delia whipping up meringues for an age tweaking, adding, adding tweaking.....Mwaaahhhahhhaa when will this lather eventually be mine.

You'll also have to wait three months to get an invite to the latherer's ball because that's how long it takes for a boar brush to get ready but that's okay because you've now convinced yourself through all the toil that your $20 boar has now miraculously, Cinderella like turned into Princess badger. I shall go to the lather's ball, I shall. Yes Zach you shall but please use the tradesman's entrance.

I purchased the 1305. I'm going to take a likeing to a 1305 as well as the 620. May have to make one a travel brush. Thank you for your comments and recommendations Most truthful reccomendation I got was what I was thinking all along. It's The Coolest Looking Brush! It's beautiful colors and traditional handle - nice. So where did you lead me?

Check Omega boars, Checked Pro48/49, THE 31064, Semouge/SOC, 1800 wood (nope, I need a custom brush wooden handle badger), Omega 81064 over the 1305 at one time in the decision, Thank you SirPrize for reminding me to re-read the article, ZACH = #49 and coming in second, Edwin Jagger ..."scrubby but not annoying..." Dunno, anyone have an EJ boar?

Thanks again, it was the last thing I purchased for 2010. Wow, 3 Semouges to try out, one the LE 2010. Regards and thanks for the advice, Robert

Let me have my nickel back please ... My brother in-law told my wife via phonecall that he needs a new boar brush and was hoping I could help him out with a recommendation. Just a thought, but I could send him the 2000, without trying it, and I'll settle for the 1305. As long as I didn't try it I think that would be fair dinkum (sp?); I think it's Man Law.

Edwin Jagger Sheffield England. Does Edwin Jagger make the only English Boar brush?

Warm Regards, Robert

Robert Otten said:
Let me have my nickel back please ... My brother in-law told my wife via phonecall that he needs a new boar brush and was hoping I could help him out with a recommendation. Just a thought, but I could send him the 2000, without trying it, and I'll settle for the 1305. As long as I didn't try it I think that would be fair dinkum (sp?); I think it's Man Law.

Edwin Jagger Sheffield England. Does Edwin Jagger make the only English Boar brush?

Warm Regards, Robert

Kent make boar brushes too.

Back
Top Bottom