can someone please explain the term "shaving den"

This term get used a lot on the forum but especially on youtube videos.

Is this a hypothetical place or do people actually have a physical den.

I guess I do understand the term but it always makes me smile. I am not sure why but it must be the mental images it creates in my mind of hundreds of men scurrying away to a secret place of private indulgence

Last edited:
Can understand where the confusion might arise.

For me it's mainly the bathroom for all shaving products but the bedroom cupboard for anything like cologne or aftershave. Those things don't like sunlight or humidity so I keep them out of the bathroom.

I have a bit of the bathroom cabinet for things I leave in the bathroom. I also keep some in my bedroom, soaps and razors that are not in rotation.

When I was a kid a den was two chairs with a blanket over the top

I can't stand any clutter in my bathroom. My shaving stand is on display on a shelf but everything else is hidden in a bathroom supplies cupboard. I personally enjoy the process of getting everything out so my habits play into that. My den is temporary and very much like a kid with two chairs and a blanket over the top!

I think a "Den" these days is mostly used to describe where you store your ever growing collection of products. Personally I think it has to be more all-encompassing than that. A den should be your very own fantasy room in a sense. For example a shaving enthusiast may wish to have a perfectly appointed Victorian style bathroom with apothecary cabinets. That's not to say you can't have a shave den in a shabby old bathroom but it should be somewhere you want to be and involve the room itself. To most that's not possible due to partners, kids, funds etc.

It's no different to a movie lover having an expensive TV and sound system in a perfectly decorated cinema room or a car detailing enthusiast with a clean and tidy garage with all their polish and wax on display.

Reactions: Len
Back
Top Bottom